Miniature Aussie Shepherd?

ravenau1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GayleK - LOVE <3 Shae in your sig.. she is beautiful, she is your new small girl? I want :shrug: !!

yeah, Shae is our rescue dog. She's 5 years old and she's so tiny and has such a little baby face, she looks just like a puppy. In fact I took her to our obedience club a few weeks ago and about ten people asked about "the new puppy". They were all a bit doubtful when I said she's five, but she definitely has the teeth of a five year old dog.

She's a beautiful little muppet and she's a proper Aussie, so proof that they do come in small sizes with a proper pedigree.

This is a photo of my Canadian friends 'Purebred' Miniature Australian Shepherd...I have a distinct feeling I can see some Sheltie in that face

n697160362_3615065_2200.jpg

And a touch of Papillon, maybe? And a tad too much white?

That's what I meant to say, shouldn't type and watch tv. lol.

If that is a mini Aussie, then my Whippets are mini Great Danes. It looks nothing like an Aussie

You could really market that...pocket sized Great Danes...lmao

This dog and her sister (I have actually met them) was the first 'Aussie' I had ever seen, since meeting a lot more Ive wondered if the Mini Aussie was actually a recognised breed, they are just so unlike the regular sized dogs

If they look hard enough, they'll find a proper Australian Shepherd in a smaller size. They are out there, the new girl I got last week is tiny, she's 5 years old and I doubt she hits the 13 kg mark. She is MUCH smaller than my others who are all average/above average for the breed, but because this is a breed that's been developed from stock dogs, originally for their working ability over and above everything else, there's a wide variety in sizes (and the standard caters for that too).

This link, of a breeder in Canada confirms the whole aussie to aussie breeding to get a smaller dog.

http://members.shaw.ca/hitide/

If they look hard enough, they'll find a proper Australian Shepherd in a smaller size. They are out there, the new girl I got last week is tiny, she's 5 years old and I doubt she hits the 13 kg mark. She is MUCH smaller than my others who are all average/above average for the breed, but because this is a breed that's been developed from stock dogs, originally for their working ability over and above everything else, there's a wide variety in sizes (and the standard caters for that too).

This link, of a breeder in Canada confirms the whole aussie to aussie breeding to get a smaller dog.

Theirs may be smaller due to breeding smaller dogs together but the picture of the other one further back looks nothing like those ones or normal ones.

Don't understand the need to get something then try and shrink it :) . Just buy a smaller normal one?????Don't mess with what isn't broken

I was under the impression that breed standards call for preferred heights for reasons, as with all qualities in all breeds.

ETA:

The preferred size of the Australian Shepherd is between 20" -23" for males and 18"-21" for females. There is no disqualification for size.

It is necessary to allow some variation outside the stated guidelines to maintain the ideal average. The relative unimportance of size in the overall working skills of a stockdog means that height is never to be a primary factor in determining the ideal representative.

It should be noted that height and mass are different. A massive dog; one carrying heavy bone and weight, regardless of the height, is incorrect for the breed.

http://www.shalakoaussies.com/BreedStandard_Size.html

Edited by Parkeyre

Theirs may be smaller due to breeding smaller dogs together but the picture of the other one further back looks nothing like those ones or normal ones.

Don't understand the need to get something then try and shrink it :) . Just buy a smaller normal one?????Don't mess with what isn't broken

Cos everything is cuter in miniature?

few of those dogs in that website or the dog previously posted look like Australian Shepherds.

The colour is right but the face and body isn't.

If someone is hellbent in getting a miniature Aussie, they should get a Papillon. There's a couple at our obedience club with a black tri Aussie and a white, black and tan Papillon, and honestly the little Pap is like a miniature, mirror image of his big brother. They both do obedience and agility and tey are both as clever as each other. The Papillon is actually MUCH more active than the Aussie.

Don't understand the need to get something then try and shrink it :provoke: . Just buy a smaller normal one?????Don't mess with what isn't broken

How did the different sizes in Poodles and Schnauzers come around?

Not trying to provoke, genuine question.

If someone is hellbent in getting a miniature Aussie, they should get a Papillon. There's a couple at our obedience club with a black tri Aussie and a white, black and tan Papillon, and honestly the little Pap is like a miniature, mirror image of his big brother. They both do obedience and agility and tey are both as clever as each other. The Papillon is actually MUCH more active than the Aussie.

or a shetland sheepdog :)

(the breeders in the US say they are sheltie size)

Edited by jr_inoz

or a shetland sheepdog :)

(the breeders in the US say they are sheltie size)

Everything is smaller in the Shetland islands :D

Shetland sheep http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_%28sheep%29

Shetland Pony http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_pony