Should Sex/colour/markings Or Pups Parents Determine Price Of Pups?

MissMetal

In Border Collies at least, I wouldn't want to get a puppy from a breeder who charges more for certain colours. I think it shows that they are in it for money... A 'Lilac' coloured puppy wouldn't cost anymore to raise then a b&w puppy, under normal circumstances. Not a fan of breeding for candy colours anyway.

I'm going to re-word what I said...

I would pay more for a puppy from imported working/performance bloodlines.

I wouldn't pay more for a certain colour/marking/gender within the same litter.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pay more for a nicely marked pup in the colour I liked, so long as it had the temperament and health tests (of the parents) as well.

If it was just the colour, markings and health testing etc you wanted why wouldn't you buy from a breeder that doesn't charge extra for colour and markings etc?

If one breeder had the pup I wanted and it was more expensive than say, another litter from a different breeder, then I would probably go for the colour I liked, provided good temperament and health tested etc

If the puppy was show quality, then I would also be willing to pay more.

Breeders can charge what they like for a pup, some buyers will be getting ripped off and will pay big dollars for poor quality pups.

Having said that, i would not hestitate to hand over a couple of thousand dollars or more for a Frenchie or a Boston, if I should ever want one again.

Why do you think a Frenchie or a Boston should cost so much more than other breeds ? Personally, I fail to see why anyone would want either breed, let alone pay those sorts of prices.

Of all the breeds I have observed at shows over many years, these are the two I most detest on temperament, snapping and barking at every passing dog, let alone the fact they are so incredibly ugly. Then add in possible health issues with brachy breeds and I really have no idea what the attraction is.

Sorry to the people who own and love them but I just can't stand them.

Wow well personally I don't think your post deserves a response how incredibly rude.

These breeds don't have large litters if the bitch even takes and can whelp the puppies. They aren't rare but they aren't common as a decent breeder doesn't have the ability to churn out puppies in big numbers. Not sure if you have any knowledge of supply and demand but if there were 100 puppies available the price probably wouldn't be as much but given the limited numbers and even more limited breeders demand supports the price.

It's the funniest thing I find about Staffords being priced so high, they are currently as common as mud and still people fork out big $$ for a shit puppy. More fool them at the end of the day.

Supply and demand bit us on the ass recently..

6 Beagle puppies born - 4/6 sold easily before they were three months old, one kept by the breeder one given to me.

10 Pointer puppies born 4 weeks later - 3/10 sold, the most recent one only sold last week

We charged $800 for the Beagles and a measly $500 for the Pointers and yet we still can't sell these gorgeous puppies. Yet Joe Public will go and drop $3000 on a badly bred mutt ;)

Frenchies aren't that rare and if you regularly read the For Sale ads here, you'll see that litters of 4-8 puppies aren't uncommon. I personally think some of the reasons given for justifying the high prices to be a bit.....well........odd, to say the least. Such as.....they are so expensive because of all the veterinary costs involved, they need surgical intervention to whelp etc. etc.

If a litter of 6 is being sold for $3000 per pup, and the breeder is spending $18000 on vet fees, well they probably should be breeding with different dogs because those ones clearly are not healthy enough to breed from.

It would be a lot more reasonable to say "Well, that's the going price, that's the price people expect to pay, so that's the price we charge".

There are lots of things in the market that I think are overpriced, not to mention badly made, poor quality, etc.

My response: Don't buy them.

It's a market. People can charge what they want. Sometimes the price reflects production costs. Sometimes, rarity. Sometimes, a degree of monopoly. Sometimes it's smoke, mirrors, fashion, and hype.

This is as true with dogs as anything else.

I don't see why people get so exercised about this topic.

Breeders can charge what they like for a pup,

Probably highly unlikely in our breed, and possibly many others.

It would only take a second inquiry to another breeder to reveal that an asking price is inflated and an explanation as to why it is so.

Then, the chance of a referral from that breeder, or others when they hear of it, would be highly unlikely.

I don't usually succumb to social pressure, and that also applies to the costing of a pup.

But I set my price to place the pups in good homes, not to replenish a bank account.

It would only take a second inquiry to another breeder to reveal that an asking price is inflated and an explanation as to why it is so.

Then, the chance of a referral from that breeder, or others when they hear of it, would be highly unlikely.

I don't usually succumb to social pressure, and that also applies to the costing of a pup.

But I set my price to place the pups in good homes, not to replenish a bank account.

This is clearly not happening in Staffords then.

I bought my boy for less than $1000 and yet people fork out twice or three times what I do without considering the dogs that are a third the price. People are impatient and want it now and will pay the now price.

well a lady i know was asking for $3000 for a blue male pup (staffy).

I'm planning to produce a blue male staffy in a future litter.

Anyone who pays that sort of money would hardly notice they were getting a Maremma, and not a staffy.

Anyway, the coloured Maremmas are priceless. Just one yellow or orange pup and I could retire. ;)

BTW: They do produce these colours but usually as blemishes.

P.

This is clearly not happening in Staffords then.

I bought my boy for less than $1000 and yet people fork out twice or three times what I do without considering the dogs that are a third the price. People are impatient and want it now and will pay the now price.

Maybe that's because there are 520 breeders just on DOL alone.

The number of unregistered breeders could be twice that.

That makes it a bit hard to apply social constraints.

But, Staffies do have a temperament that many people find suitable.

Personally, I don't get the Staffy but I am a bit "Breed Blind" ;)

It's the funniest thing I find about Staffords being priced so high, they are currently as common as mud and still people fork out big $$ for a shit puppy. More fool them at the end of the day.

Supply and demand bit us on the ass recently..

6 Beagle puppies born - 4/6 sold easily before they were three months old, one kept by the breeder one given to me.

10 Pointer puppies born 4 weeks later - 3/10 sold, the most recent one only sold last week.

We charged $800 for the Beagles and a measly $500 for the Pointers and yet we still can't sell these gorgeous puppies. Yet Joe Public will go and drop $3000 on a badly bred mutt ;)

It is irrefutable that Staffords have a temperament suitable to the different ages of all family members.

Together with their little tummies ($) and active personalities, fashion also dictates to the tastes and whims of the market.

I would readily take a beagle or a pointer since I have had a beagle in the past and was considering pointers as my dog of choice.

But when it comes to producing litters I usually try to get a feel on where I might be able to place the dogs.

Megz I have a few homes that cannot afford a pup, and I keep them in mind so that I won't be burdened with the feed and vet costs of raising an extra dog.

Edited by pewithers

Breeders can charge what they like for a pup, some buyers will be getting ripped off and will pay big dollars for poor quality pups.

Having said that, i would not hestitate to hand over a couple of thousand dollars or more for a Frenchie or a Boston, if I should ever want one again.

Why do you think a Frenchie or a Boston should cost so much more than other breeds ? Personally, I fail to see why anyone would want either breed, let alone pay those sorts of prices.

Of all the breeds I have observed at shows over many years, these are the two I most detest on temperament, snapping and barking at every passing dog, let alone the fact they are so incredibly ugly. Then add in possible health issues with brachy breeds and I really have no idea what the attraction is.

I think that is incredibly rude-i once had a lady ask me at a show why anyone would want to breed such hideous dogs(bloodhounds) that are ugly and apparently good for nothing.As a new showie,it sort of cut a bit.Personally i detest a lot of dogs,but i would never bag out the people that own them.

And my next pet when my old show boy passes on will be a Frenchie.

Because they are bloody awesome dogs. When I purchased my first one they were still quite rare. If I were to buy one today, the quality I would be looking for, would still make them quite rare. There's more people breeding them, but you still have to wait for a quality puppy and for that quality puppy I'd not hesitate to spend the money be it two thousand or five thousand.

I've owned three. I've not had one with a nasty temperament. No snapping and certainly no barking. One had two passes at CD level and was a incredibly hard work to get there but heaps of fun.

Each to their own really, I have no idea why anyone would want to own a Rotti or a Cav for example but plenty of people do.

Gee that's a bit rugged, isnt it? Telling some owners their breed is ugly is as bad as telling them their children are ugly. If you dislike the breed so much, what breeders charge for them is irrelevant to you. I think they're gorgeous little dogs and those I've met have not been snappy or barky at all. Maybe they just sensed a human in their midst or was tsk tsking them and were actually barking at you? :provoke:

people charge what they think they can get and there is nothing inherantly wrong in charging more. In some cases "above the going rate" is going to be get you a dog above the going rate or from the breeder/lines/location/whatever you prefer that make it worth it to you, and sometimes it just gets you an overpriced lemon because a. the salesmanship was better than the product and/or b. the consumer wasn't savy enough to research widely.

Edited by Kissindra