Boarding Kennels, Anyone Recommend One?

moonbaby

Just looking into possible boarding kennel for my dog. (3-4 day period). When I look at the internet and kennel websites, it intrigues me that so many have 'allocated inspection times' or 'inspection by appointment only'. Well this sets alarm bells off for me cause it suggests that it you rock up at any other time, that the kennels will be in less than acceptable condition. So are there any that you dog lovers would recommend in the Castle Hill NSW area.

And any that are recommended will still be receiving an unannounced inspection visit :-)

P.S, not interested in your opinion if you happen to run/manage or work at the boarding kennel you suggest :)

Thanks in advance

Send PAX from here a PM.

A few of us here board our dogs there and are more than happy with her service. So much so she has been nominated for an MDBA award for the best boarding kennel this year.

You won't find her on the internet.

Just looking into possible boarding kennel for my dog. (3-4 day period). When I look at the internet and kennel websites, it intrigues me that so many have 'allocated inspection times' or 'inspection by appointment only'. Well this sets alarm bells off for me cause it suggests that it you rock up at any other time, that the kennels will be in less than acceptable condition. So are there any that you dog lovers would recommend in the Castle Hill NSW area.

And any that are recommended will still be receiving an unannounced inspection visit :-)

P.S, not interested in your opinion if you happen to run/manage or work at the boarding kennel you suggest :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance

I probably would have thought the same as yourself if it wasn't for the fact that I've worked for busy kennels and therefore understand their point of view. If the kennels were open for inspection at any time anyone felt like coming in, it would be awkward for them to get all their work done. Dogs out for run/play time. Preparation of meals time. Medication time (for those who are on meds). All of these things require staff attention. They're unable to have someone spare at anytime just to take someone through for a tour/look. When they nominate certain hours it is usually in between their major cleaning and feeding times.

I can't help you with NSW kennel recommendations as I'm in Victoria and am unfamiliar with those in NSW. But I thought you might like to understand that suggesting a time frame for inspections is likely to be so that staff aren't pulled away from the animals their owners (including yourself) would want them to be ensuring are fully and properly cared for.

Just one person here and there wouldn't make a huge difference for the most part (save for major cleaning times when all the hoses; pressure cleaners etc are on the go), but imagine everyone thinking as you do and how much of a constant interruption that would be to the kennels.

Edited by Erny

P.S, not interested in your opinion if you happen to run/manage or work at the boarding kennel you suggest :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance

I believe they have statements like "Inspections by appointment only" and between certain hours etc to make sure that they are available and not exercising dogs, cleaning kennels etc. Well, at least, that's the case with the two boarding places I have used (neither of which are in Sydney, sorry).

it intrigues me that so many have 'allocated inspection times' or 'inspection by appointment only'. Well this sets alarm bells off for me cause it suggests that it you rock up at any other time, that the kennels will be in less than acceptable condition. So are there any that you dog lovers would recommend in the Castle Hill NSW area.

Ever thought that you might turn up in the middle of cleaning? Some dogs get stressed at feed times too. Visitors often set all the dogs off at once at a time which is their rest time.

I work in the pet industry and would turn you away if you just rocked up at my door for a squiz. It's polite to make an appointment to visit someones property. :thumbsup:

I appreciate the by appointments

when I board my dogs and pay for the boarding of my dogs I want the kennel staff looking after my dogs not spending all their time showing visitors around

by having viewing times by appointment only the kennel staff can arrange their activities around this.

You say your not interested in opinions from kennel owners .

I am an owner & i will give my opinion because it is important

Inspection by appointment if for the benefit of the dogs & there safety not to suit owners.

The dogs in boarding are left in our care & owners expect every reasonable means to be taken to ensure that there dog isn't placed in undue stress & placed at higher rixk for something to happen.

Many breeds are predisposed to gastric torsion(bloat) ,many factors can enhance the risk & a good kennel will do anything to lower it.

Many dogs in boarding suffer from heart conditions,epilepsy,diabetes,elderly,frail.,cancer etc etc Kennels don't just board perfect dogs they board dogs with varying issues,needs & requirements.

In summer we stick to our visiting times no matter what.

Today for example we had 40 degrees & once the dogs where brought in from outside they where in strict "quiet time" until it cooled down for outside let out again.

We would never under any circumstances have people visiting in that heat & disturb the dogs & would presume any responsible owner would applaud any kennel that considered the dogs needs far more important.

Once the dogs are feed it is also quiet time & we feed when we are shut so dogs at high risk of bloat aren't over stimulated after eating & those dogs with any medical issue /prep are also done in quiet time

As far as hiding anything you can't hide a filthy place Plus many kennels have to follow council regs on dog noise & have to have set times to meet there license but above all it is for the dogs best interest .

I guess you need to ask yourself what type of care you expect when your dog is in boarding

Inspection by appointment if for the benefit of the dogs & there safety not to suit owners.

The dogs in boarding are left in our care & owners expect every reasonable means to be taken to ensure that there dog isn't placed in undue stress & placed at higher rixk for something to happen.

Many breeds are predisposed to gastric torsion(bloat) ,many factors can enhance the risk & a good kennel will do anything to lower it.

Many dogs in boarding suffer from heart conditions,epilepsy,diabetes,elderly,frail.,cancer etc etc Kennels don't just board perfect dogs they board dogs with varying issues,needs & requirements.

Today for example we had 40 degrees & once the dogs where brought in from outside they where in strict "quiet time" until it cooled down for outside let out again.

We would never under any circumstances have people visiting in that heat & disturb the dogs & would presume any responsible owner would applaud any kennel that considered the dogs needs far more important.

Once the dogs are feed it is also quiet time & we feed when we are shut so dogs at high risk of bloat aren't over stimulated after eating & those dogs with any medical issue /prep are also done in quiet time

As far as hiding anything you can't hide a filthy place Plus many kennels have to follow council regs on dog noise & have to have set times to meet there license but above all it is for the dogs best interest .

I guess you need to ask yourself what type of care you expect when your dog is in boarding

Well put!!!!

Also, imagine people turning up during cleaning. Some people would probably winge that kennels weren't spotless! Unfortunately not all dogs are housetrained nor can they clean their own rooms.

The pets in your care come first!!!

Poodiful off topic I know but that site you listed has a 'wonderful selection' of DD puppies available :thumbsup:

Registered breeder too :thumbsup: but does not mean the boarding facilities aren't great, they may well be.

I can't recommend but agree to have anyone walk in & visit at any time is disruptive & not good security either.

I call by appointment only common sense not hiding anything.

Send PAX from here a PM.

A few of us here board our dogs there and are more than happy with her service. So much so she has been nominated for an MDBA award for the best boarding kennel this year.

You won't find her on the internet.

Thanks, have done so.

http://www.k9kutz.com.au/5-star-accommodation

they're in Rosebury, the owner actually lives in Castle Hill, you may see him walking his Afghan in the evenings. He's a clean freak and you'll be able to check out the accommodation during business hours. They're not officially open on a Sunday, but there are staff there.

and they don't seem to have 'inspection times'. Thanks

http://www.k9kutz.com.au/5-star-accommodation

they're in Rosebury, the owner actually lives in Castle Hill, you may see him walking his Afghan in the evenings. He's a clean freak and you'll be able to check out the accommodation during business hours. They're not officially open on a Sunday, but there are staff there.

Thats one nice looking boarding kennel! I see a few familiar faces on the wall in one of the pictures :confused:

Totally agree, Showdog :eek:

it intrigues me that so many have 'allocated inspection times' or 'inspection by appointment only'. Well this sets alarm bells off for me cause it suggests that it you rock up at any other time, that the kennels will be in less than acceptable condition. So are there any that you dog lovers would recommend in the Castle Hill NSW area.

Ever thought that you might turn up in the middle of cleaning? Some dogs get stressed at feed times too. Visitors often set all the dogs off at once at a time which is their rest time.

I work in the pet industry and would turn you away if you just rocked up at my door for a squiz. It's polite to make an appointment to visit someones property. :heart:

I agree, we used to have Boarding kennels and it causes such an upset when people just arrive, because some still do and just walk up to fences and start the commotion.

Also some dogs, no matter how often they are let out are dirty dogs and make a mess and a lot of average people cannot handle that and would be aghast.

It is better for your dog when hours are regulated....Dogs settle with the people who work in the kennel and it is only strangers that often cause all the barking.

Just a personal opinion ;)

Also some dogs, no matter how often they are let out are dirty dogs and make a mess and a lot of average people cannot handle that and would be aghast.

I don't agree with this bit though, Newfsie. Of course there are some dogs who might soil their pens. Although I do note that the dogs at the kennels I visit are out so often that they tend not to mess that much in their pens. But even then, the mess is cleaned up pretty much once it is seen. Because it might only be in a pen here and a pen there, anyone who did happen to see it on inspection wouldn't be too concerned about it. The person would probably also see it in the process of being cleaned it up anyway.

If I was looking at boarding my dogs I would be looking for

Security: I want secure safe enclosures where the dogs are not only unable to escape but safe from interactions with other dogs.

Adequate shelter from weather and the ability to be confined in a smaller night area if needed.

Hygiene: Easily cleaned kennels, able to be totally cleaned between dogs, soft furnishings to me don't cut it.

Knowledgeable & caring staff and management.

Quality diet or assurance that my supplied food will be fed.

I expect my large dogs to be fed twice daily and staff to fully understand the risk of Bloat.

I do not want my dogs being exercised or enjoying playtime with dogs other than my own.

I expect the facility to have properly structured down time during the day and at meal times so dogs can rest and not be continually stimulated. So kennels that allow visitors all day are out for me.

I do not want motel room type facilities that appeal to the owners rather than the welfare of the animals.

So in short Security, Hygiene, Safety and Dog Sense.

Guest Labradork

I can completely understand the need for prearranged visiting times at kennels, for reasons mentioned in above posts.

However, I have also discovered a kennel who was trying to hide something by using this reason, and so I can also validate the concern.

I know it might be a little left field, but what about solutions like Dog Minders or In-Home Pet Care Services?

Although I live in VIC, I'm sure NSW would be similar. It's a booming industry and there's certainly a great selection of services to choose from around me. They are usually very affordable, and offer personalised care that your dog/s may not get in a typical kennel.

* For 24hr care, there are companies which "match" you with a "Dog Minder" (i.e. meaning someone who has signed up to look after an extra dog/s as a hobby; often stay-at-home parent/s, students, elderly citizens, couples etc.) and your dog/s will stay at their house pending a successful meeting between you and the Minder at the Minder's house.

* There are also companies which will visit your house a couple/few times a day, allowing your dog/s to stay within his/her own environment; this may not suit each and every dog but is a great solution for those who have a good outside set up and are somewhat independent. This is what's worked for me in the past.

* You may also consider a live-in pet carer (aka housesitter), which will give you the added benefit of 24hr home security.

As a bonus, in all of these situations, you are vetting the pet carer yourself. That is, you aren't sending your pet/s off to an establishment where there may be a whole bunch of different employees involved in caring for your pet/s. In addition, by choosing a service that restricts the amount of dogs that yours comes into contact with, you're minimising your dog's risk of contracting diseases or being in any scuffs.

Cheers,

L :thumbsup: