Sebaceous Cysts

huski

A few months ago Daisy had a sebaceous cyst removed from her thigh area. A few days ago I noticed another one on her back leg, just above her paw. She's booked in to get it removed tomorrow (it's a different leg to the last one).

Is this a coincidence or are some dogs prone to getting cysts? I hate to think she is going to have go under and have cysts removed from her for the rest of her life.

ETA: She's four years old and has never had any cysts or lumps before the last one.

Edited by huski

Not really sure. Our old Stafford had two removed a few years ago and has never had any more.

There were a couple of Cockers I groomed who had new ones in different spots every single time I groomed them. Sometimes two or three at a time. They were litter siblings and I wondered wether or not they had a genetic predisposition to them.

I owned a samoyed x once who had a few on his body. He developed one around the collar area about the size of a10c piece. I would drain them, they would reform. Only surgical removal would solve the problem. When we shaved the leg to administer the iv he had small cysts forming along the length of his leg...like a series of mossie bites. he lived to a ripe old age but had these scattered all over his body...when they developed into larger cysts and become troublesome they were removed. To memory as he got older the condition eased somewhat. I always assumed it was his coat type (incorrectly I believe) that may have predisposed him to it.

My vet tells me that it's very common for dogs who get one, to get many over their lifetime. *Not to say that getting one means the dog will always get more, just that it is common for dogs to be "cysty" dogs.

Old dogs especially get a lot of lumps, skin tags and other stuff (not that Daisy is old yet).

My Bullmastiff just had a ping-pong ball-sized one taken out because it had gotten so big it was going to burst. He may have already started growing another too.

Edited by molasseslass

Thanks guys. I guess it is worrying me a bit. I don't want to have to keep sending her for ops - and it's expensive too ($400 each time) though I will be getting pet insurance after today.

No research I've found has indicated a reason why a perfectly healthy dog will keep getting cysts, although this is only the second one, I am hoping we won't have anymore.

The first one burst so we had it removed and this one is right along the bone and is growing quite quicky, the vet suggested it needed to be removed now because if it gets bigger removing it could be quite difficult.

Two of my older dogs have cysts at the moment, they've been there for quite a while. I don't have them removed unless they're absolutely huge or in a position that causes discomfort to the dog. If they burst I keep squeezing them out, clean them with salt water three times a day and use Betadine on them. They usually clear up quite quickly, occasionally they come back, but not often. I have never had one get infected. If they go flat and spread under the skin they usually disappear within a few days. In over 30 years of owning a breed that is quite prone to them as they age, I have only had to have two surgically removed.

My previous kerry had them and they kept getting infected (his immune system was crap). He was forever having ops to fix up the horrible ones. Grumpy has loads but I've only had a couple removed. A big one on his leg, which I was afraid he'd keep knocking, and one on his head, which I think was affecting his temper.

I used to have an English Springer Spaniel who at one stage looked like a cross work patch dog she had so many of those cysts removed. The only time I ever worried was when she would knock one and then it leaked until I had it removed. And the rest along with it. She had a couple of ops on them.

Yeah, price is about par for surgery around here too. Note to self - move to UK where small animal vet are plentiful and anaesththics cheaper!

Good luck with the pet insurance - but since one has already been removed, won't future ones automatically be excluded from claims? Better check that so you know exactly what is covered and what is not.

Good luck with the pet insurance - but since one has already been removed, won't future ones automatically be excluded from claims? Better check that so you know exactly what is covered and what is not.

I wondered about that too, I expect they'd be classed as a pre-existing condition and excluded from cover.

Thanks everyone!

Well it's turned out to be a bit of a traumatizing experience, way worse than the first cyst we had removed a few months ago.

The skin was really tight and hard to stitch up because of where the cyst was, we were very lucky to have removed it before it go any bigger. Because of this Daisy needed to have a bandage on her foot/paw. She was really irritated by it and kept trying to bite at it to take it off, somehow it tightened and became like a tourniquet and within 30 minutes her paw swelled up to six times its normal size. THANK GOD my mum was home and rushed her to the vet, the poor little bugger was in excruciating pain by the time they got there and was crying so much mum couldn't bear to be in the room with her while they took the bandage off.

My poor little beagle is now doped up on pain killers, she's sleeping well for the first time since yesterday, I really hope this is the last cyst her have to deal with :laugh:

Just wanted to add, my young dogs is prone to these cysts.Shes had maybe 4 or 5 burst now. All have healed up on there own, they are mainly on her back and neck area Like a previous poster I clean them up with salt water and Betadine. I squeeze them out as much as I can. Then leave them to heal up. The do not return in the same spot. She has 3 atm in different places.