Groomer Abused Dog!

Danielle

Ok, well a lady from down the road turned up at my place the other day asking me to quickly come and see her neighbours dog, it had been to a local "groomer" and the dog was in a bad way. I was thinking it must be a bad haircut that they want me to fix, but it wasnt the case. This dog (Bichon X Toy Poodle) was shaved off with what i can only describe as a 30 or 40 blade and was cut to ribbons!

It had massive gash marks out of its skin and flesh and you could see where the teeth of the blade had dug into it and been dragged down its body. This dog is in a terrible way and i was horrified. Ive never ever in my life seen anything like it. It was like something off one of those rspca case tv shows. Its ears were cut, its face was cut, its whole body was covered in gashes and scratches. It had bits of hair hanging off its legs and bloodied spots on its tummy. It had open wounds all over its body, no lie, there mustve been around 20 injuries to this dog and they werent little superficial grazes either, they were gashes.

I told the owner of the dog that she needs to report this but she does not want to "make waves" as we live in a small town. Her husband is absolutely furious and i told him to take the dog to the vet and get photographic evidence of this horrendous abuse. I do not know this groomer but i know where she lives, she works from home. I feel like turning up there and giving her what for, but of course i cant, its not my place to. They have now vowed to come to me from now on for grooming.

This woman needs to be shut down, no groomer i know would be capable of such abuse. Apparently her excuse was that the dog was playing up. Well im sorry lady but if you dont know how to handle a dog you should not be a groomer. People like this give us good groomers a bad name and it pisses me off, that dog is someones pet and deserves more respect. The old lady who owns the dog even paid this woman! She paid $40 after her dog had been hacked to pieces. I told her to go get her money back and demand the groomer foot the vet bill but she wont, she just wants to let it go and forget about it.

Is there anything i can do to stop this groomer from doing this to someone elses dog? I feel really helpless and worried that someone elses pet is going to cop the same treatment.

I think that if the owners don't want to pursue it, it would be hard for you to. I'm assuming there is no oversighting professional body or certification for groomers.

Ideally the owners would take photos and a vet report to the rspca/police/council, whoever deals with abuse cases in Qld, and try to get a prosecution going. Or at least get the council to look again at her approval to operate a home business. But if they don't want to make waves that's the end of it. Unless she doesn't actually have the right land use approvals, if that's a possibility you could try and get that noticed by the authorities.

Poor dog. I wonder why she didn't stop once she'd starting cutting it?

I'd say you need photographic evidence, and preferably a veterinary report on the injuries too.

However even then, if the owner of the dog doesn't want to make a complaint, I don't know how far you'll get making one, since if you complain it's just hearsay.

I think that if the owners don't want to pursue it, it would be hard for you to. I'm assuming there is no oversighting professional body or certification for groomers.

Ideally the owners would take photos and a vet report to the rspca/police/council, whoever deals with abuse cases in Qld, and try to get a prosecution going. Or at least get the council to look again at her approval to operate a home business. But if they don't want to make waves that's the end of it. Unless she doesn't actually have the right land use approvals, if that's a possibility you could try and get that noticed by the authorities.

Poor dog. I wonder why she didn't stop once she'd starting cutting it?

I wonder what state the dog was in when taken in for grooming.

Danielle, if the owners don't want to pursue the matter I suggest you drop it. No need to make an enemy when the owner won't be supporting you.

As long as the dog receives appropriate veterinary treatment and never has to suffer again, I'd leave it there.

I wonder what state the dog was in when taken in for grooming.

That doesn't really matter to me.

If the dog was in such a state that it couldn't be groomed without cutting it's skin, or it would take longer and cost more than normal to do so, the groomer should have had that out with the owner and found a way to proceed safely or not proceed at all.

20 gashes on the body is way beyond acceptable.

Regardless of a report being lodged.. I hope the dog gets pain relief/antibiotics..or they could have a VERY ill dog on their hands. I suggest take it to the vet and if the vet wants to take it further--- then it's out of the owner's hands.

True. I don't know how bad the injuries are, but if the dog really is covered in gashes & is in pain, and the owners don't take it to the vet for pain relief & wound care, I'd think that they could be done on animal cruelty charges themselves?

Regardless of a report being lodged.. I hope the dog gets pain relief/antibiotics..or they could have a VERY ill dog on their hands. I suggest take it to the vet and if the vet wants to take it further--- then it's out of the owner's hands.

Yep - this....

And I have done some very matted dogs in the past and not one cut on them. There is NO excuse for this dog to be cut up - none. If the dog was difficult then STOP and explain to the owner why the job was not finished. I have only had 2 dogs that I was not able to finish - I would much rather them take the dog to the vet to be sedated than injure or stress it.

Any chance you can get photos?

True. I don't know how bad the injuries are, but if the dog really is covered in gashes & is in pain, and the owners don't take it to the vet for pain relief & wound care, I'd think that they could be done on animal cruelty charges themselves?

+1

There's something wrong with the owners if they don't at least take the dog to the vet. There might be more than just cuts (although I hope not...) :confused:

she doesnt want to make waves but you have every right to.

take photos and report her to the ranger and RSPCA for being so horribly cruel. This idiot needs to be shut down. As for causing waves, ask this owner if the groomer had beaten her dog with a stick to this point would she hesitate to report it? Evil happens when good people do nothing.

Meanwhile tell your friend to take the dog to the vet ASAP. filthy clipper blades that slash skin could be carrying bacteria from other dogs wounds/matted fur or even fecal matter that this woman has now ploughed into her dogs skin. It risks massive infection and needs a vet NOW.

I wanted to take photos but I've never met these ppl before, they are neighbors of a lady up the road I know from school. The marks were really weird, not like normal clipper blade marks, more like the clippers they use on sheep, either that or really wide skip tooth blades, but real close to the skin like a 30 blade, bizarre.

I did tell the old lady that she has a responsibility to other unsuspecting pet owners and that she needs to put an end to this before someone elses pet is hurt, but she seemed reluctant to do anything. Her husband on the otherhand was furious, I had a quiet word with him and he assured me he would take the dog to the vet. I'm going around there this morning to see their neighbour (the lady I know from school) and I'll casually go over to see how the dog is. I'll try to get some pics. Poor bloody dog, and poor old lady, fancy having to pay for a job like that eh?

If I could get my hands on that groomer....

more like the clippers they use on sheep,

Must admit- I did wonder if this might be the case , being rural .... those things are deadly!

Hope the poor little thing has had her injuries treated in case of infection.

There are wide blades for dogs - I don't have any, I am happy with standard blades but they look to be the same size as shearing blades. They are only recommend for large dogs, not small dogs.

http://www.clipperworld.com.au/shop/index....p;productId=151

Good luck.

We have a 'groomer' operating in our local area who bought in one dog with which was covered in gashes - she only saw one gash but on examination we found 3, all requiring stitches and we also used pain relief and antibiotics. She claimed the dog was in very poor condition but we suggested that she not attempt to groom in situations like that and to also check her clippers & blades.

Two weeks after that she brought in another 2 dogs again all cut but even worse - she even cut off the tip of ones ear! Again she paid for treatment but hopefully gave up grooming after that.

The problem is she was operating from home - who regulates that? At least in this situation she paid for all treatment and brought them in straight away as well. I would think in the case you describe the owner really has to report it themselves to the RSPCA as the situation you described is clear cut neglect.

Might help to ask the owner if they really want to give that bad groomer the opportunity to cut up other people's pets???

I think you need to get the vet and the husband to act if the old lady is a bit timid on it.

Sure grooming accidents can happen with loose skin and such (I've nicked a horse between the front legs) but this sounds way beyond anything remotely acceptable.

Poor dog, it's going to be a real tough job clipping her next time if "playing up" was the cause. Glad you're doing it as at least you can understand her fear.