How Do You Report Someone To The Ankc?

Shaar

I recently found out that a person who BYB's cross-bred dogs also breeds litters registered to the ANKC and they also show their dogs.

They also do not register all of their purebred litters either and seem quite proud of the fact.

Here is a quote from them on another website I frequent after I asked them about registering their dogs:

Yes I know but I am not the only 1 to do it many do.

But I do not breed for any market ever wether it be pure or cross breds & breed for me first & foremost. I do not advertise my poodle x's as I do not breed often enough to need to & have waiting lists when I do. The waiting list is always made up of family or friends who already have my dogs.

I also know of several show breeders who have working dogs also.

Why do you think that is their rules when we all know that their way is not the only way?

I have problem with the black & white way of thinking they have yet have their own problems to address, this is why I don't reg all pure breeds anymore & keep alot of my own records these days. Luckily I am not a volume breeder of pure breeds not registering but there are plenty out their who are & only reg what they want to show. Sad but true alot of people are very sad about leaving showing & reg dogs behind but are unwilling to deal with the bodies that be.

Not an attack on the club just how some people feel about it these days.

How do I report them for this?

Would love to see them removed as a registered breeder!

Edit - Oh, and yes I do know their name and location, however I can't seem to find their kennel name.

Edited by Shaar

From the ANKC code of ethics:

15. A member shall not permit any of that member’s pure bred dogs to be mated to a dog of a different breed, to a cross bred dog, to an unregistered dog of the same breed, or to a dog not on the Main Register without the prior approval of the member’s Member Body.

22. A member shall register all puppies bred (excluding those breeds listed in ANKC Regulation Part 6, Section 6.2 whose specific colours precludes them from being registered on any Register) by that member that are living at the date of registration. Such registration must include all puppies from the litter on the one litter registration application form and must be applied for within eighteen [18] months of the date of whelping. (6/08)

So what? Is the code of ethics useless or can we actually report people for not following it?

Yes, please do report it, for the good of all decent registered breeders.

You can't report to the ANKC, which actually consists of members from each state body.

However, you can report it to the Tasmanian Kennel Club. Go to ANKC.com.au - and check for each state. The information on Tasmania will be there. I have presumed the person is in Tasmania/

If not, simply report to the state canine council for the state the person resides in

Hope this makes sense - I don't have a good wireless signal, and can't get up the information for you.

Thanks for wanting to do something. :(

if the pure bred dogs aren't registered then they are not doing anything "legally" wrong.

ANKC registered breeders can breed cross bred dogs as long as they do not use ANKC registered dogs. i am not sure what they have done "legally" wrong

Not registering every pup in a litter is "legally" wrong.

Thankyou everyone! I will send an e-mail off to the kennel club.

They admitted that they only register certain litters if people ask them to so they are breeding registered dogs and not registering the pups.

Thankyou again for the advice.

No state CC can stop a breeder from doing anything they want with any dog which is not registered. No state CC can make any breeder who breeds crossbred dogs regsitered litters which are not from regsitered purebred dogs - in fact they will not allow them to.

They are not doing anything against the law or the state codes of conduct.

Meant to say ... the breeder said

"I have problem with the black & white way of thinking they have yet have their own problems to address"

If s/he is not prepared to abide by the code of ethics - which s/he signed off on when s/he joined, she should resign. Why be a member of an organisation, and then ignore the rules??

You are doing the right thing. Don't worry either, if nothing seems to happen. Sometimes the results are not immediate, sometimes they are.

if the pure bred dogs aren't registered then they are not doing anything "legally" wrong.

ANKC registered breeders can breed cross bred dogs as long as they do not use ANKC registered dogs. i am not sure what they have done "legally" wrong

I'm not sure about other States, but in Victoria they would be contravening the code of Dogs Victoria (and hopefully it's the same with other States Canine Control Councils.

Sharr - I would check the regulations of the relevant State CC & report them. It makes me feel sick at heart that this person is, presumably, a registered Poodle breeder, as they are breeding Poodle Xs

Why go to the ANKC they only meet once every few months.

The ANKC delegates are made up from the state bodies.

It would be more pertinent to go to your states controlling body.

Unless they have used registered dogs there is little you can do.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

No state CC can stop a breeder from doing anything they want with any dog which is not registered. No state CC can make any breeder who breeds crossbred dogs regsitered litters which are not from regsitered purebred dogs - in fact they will not allow them to.

They are not doing anything against the law or the state codes of conduct.

That's the thing though, they are using registered dogs, but only registering say every second litter to cut costs.

You are safe poodlemum, the main breed in question is not Poodles and as it is a rare breed so I would rather not say here what it is.

Not registering every pup in a litter is "legally" wrong.

thank you i didn't know that :(

eta they say they are not registering every litter, is this wrong even if they register every pup in every litter they register?

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Basically they are puppy farming if they are only registering every second litter. You are only allowed one litter per year per bitch, or if there is 2 litters in 1 year, the bitch must not be bred from in the following year. Ie: the bitch must be rested at least every 2nd season. By registering only every second litter, they fly under the radar.

Every pup in each litter must be registered. I fail to see why you would exclude any pups when registering the litter, as it is not an excessive cost in the scheme of things.

I don't understand why you would bother to remain a registered breeder if you BYB as well. :(

If you report Dodgy Kennels, even if what you have reported is not breaking any rules, your complaint goes into the file.

Another person lodges a complaint, and over a period of time there is a record of various things which the member may have done. If any of it is in breach of the rules, something is done by the CC (banned etc)

If none of the complaints lodged are breaking any rules, but are a bit dodgy - the file is kept, the member is watched, and "things" are done. I can't say what, but it makes life unpleasant, or impossible, and the member is either more careful, or resigns. Doesn't always happen, but it is worth always complaining.