"the Champions 1973"

Missymoo

WOW, I was at my librarys book sale and bought this book, all australian top show dogs of 1973...where you or someone else showing then whod know some of these kennel names? Gorgeous pics, great dogs!!

I have the book, as my father was involved with the production of the book.

I have the book and yes I was showing back then. It is very interesting to see the different styles both in dogs and in handler outfits

Yes those were the days when you had to 'check in' and all you took to a show was the dog, an umbrella, a tarp, a dog stake and a brush and comb..... no crates, mats and gazebos back then :thanks:

Gordon Setters have changed quite a lot. There was a very restricted gene pool in Australia in the early 70's.

Does that mean that if one from the 70's was shown today it wouldn't meet current standards? Or the other way around, that today's Gordon Setters would be considered too big (for example) for the 70's standards?

My crazy theory is that their features are going to be softer (longer domestication) along with smaller size (harder to have bigger yard). I have to revisit this thread in 50 years :)

My crazy theory is that their features are going to be softer (longer domestication) along with smaller size (harder to have bigger yard). I have to revisit this thread in 50 years :)

A few years ago, some Border Collie breeders wanted to change the standard to allow for bigger dogs due to the better health care and nutrition available today (I think it got shot down since breeders control the size of the breed by selecting what to breed with).

I have that book as well, it does bring back the memories - I still have a trolley that was at that Melbourne Royal. It is a wooden one and definitely has seen better days LOL!

One of the biggest changes is in the handler's clothing - no day-glo suits for the boys back then!!! :)

I remember when Mum brought the book :)

Must search it out when we go back in a couple of weeks time

The Bulldog???

I think I can remember it was owned by Wes Stacey?

Can someone check please ;)

I cant remember about a Bullmastiff or a French Bulldog.

Bulldog was Partridge's Ch Kama Hush Power (dog chall & BOB)

Opp sex was Butt's Wantage Happy Wanderer

Bullmastiff was Stevenson's Wideacres destiny (dog chall & BOB)

Opp sex was Merritt's Bullmaster Desiree

Frenchie was Parlett's Sans Tache Solo Sun (imp UK) (dog chall 8 BOB)

Opp sex was Sans Tache Solo Sar (imp UK0 same owner, brother and sister pair, first champ show out of quarantine.

I remember when Mum brought the book :)

Must search it out when we go back in a couple of weeks time

The Bulldog???

I think I can remember it was owned by Wes Stacey?

Can someone check please ;)

I cant remember about a Bullmastiff or a French Bulldog.

Bulldog was Partridge's Ch Kama Hush Power (dog chall & BOB)

Opp sex was Butt's Wantage Happy Wanderer

Bullmastiff was Stevenson's Wideacres destiny (dog chall & BOB)

Opp sex was Merritt's Bullmaster Desiree

Frenchie was Parlett's Sans Tache Solo Sun (imp UK) (dog chall 8 BOB)

Opp sex was Sans Tache Solo Sar (imp UK0 same owner, brother and sister pair, first champ show out of quarantine.

Thanks Ruralpug

I thought Wes was in there(it has been awhile since I have seen the book) but it was Dulcie.

WOW, I was at my librarys book sale and bought this book, all australian top show dogs of 1973...where you or someone else showing then whod know some of these kennel names? Gorgeous pics, great dogs!!

I have that book too.

From memory the Afghan was the most popular breed for that year.

I know quite a few of the prefixes... some still around today and others who had made a huge impact within their breeds.

Kerry Blue Terrier:

Thomond Shillelagh

sired by Ch Bemel Carholme Corker (IMP UK)

out of Thomon Allanagh

exhibited by Mr & Mrs T Manning, Moonee Ponds VIC

Ch Sinnfein First Edition

sired by Bemel Carholme Corker (IMP UK)

out of Ch Thomond Irish Rose

Exhibited by R Watson, Newtown TAS