Why Does My Dog....

aussielover

Why does my dog....

1. always carry something around in her mouth but never actually chew it? The only thing she ever chews are bones. She still has all her puppy toys (wet and soggy) still intact and her puppy kong intact too. I spend heaps of money buying her chew toys, nylabones etc lol

2. greet me with an object in her mouth?

3. sleep with one of my shoes???

My dog (a doberman) will do the same thing, but mostly just when he's really excited. It might be a different thing though, as he doesn't really carry stuff around. It's just when he sees us and we've been apart for anything more than say 2 mins, well he tends to get quite excited, and he quickly looks around for a toy to grab. If he can't find one, he just comes and says hi anyway, but if he can, he brings the toy with him. I don't think he is bringing the toy to us, I think it's just the way we've taught him to deal with excess energy and the urge to play bite.

Seems like it might be a lab/retriever thing to actually carry stuff around, as once he's over his excitement, he abandons the toy.

My dog also would happily sleep on clothing I've worn if I let him. I think he likes the smell or something, because he fortunately has no interest in my clean clothes. I often come home after being out for a while, and my clothes have been moved around the house. He won't come near me when I go near one of my clothing articles (and it's not me being angry because typically I haven't seen it yet), but that's how he tells me whether he's been naughty or not, because he wouldn't dare touch my clothes whilst I'm around...

Emmy always have something in her mouth too... but that's because she is hoping that someone will stop what they are doing and play with her :thanks:

When I come home, Charlie always grabs a toy before coming to meet me, so he can give it to me (then takes is back a second later).

They never bring anything to bed with them... but if a toy is in their bed or the spot they are sleeping at, they won't remove it either. Lazy buggers, they will just sleep on it.

I trained my evil beagle to greet me with something in her mouth. She has a nasty habit if getting over excited and chomping on my hand!! Now that she has a toy in her mouth I don't get chomped.

She always sleeps on my dressing gown aswell. As soon as I take it off she drags it to her bed to sleep on. When I get up in the morning she drags it back to me. Lol

I trained my evil beagle to greet me with something in her mouth. She has a nasty habit if getting over excited and chomping on my hand!! Now that she has a toy in her mouth I don't get chomped.

She always sleeps on my dressing gown aswell. As soon as I take it off she drags it to her bed to sleep on. When I get up in the morning she drags it back to me. Lol

Ahh yes the hand chomping. I get that sometimes and never really knew why. She will stop if I say so but still not good.

Raspa will run around wildly looking for something to bring me and if she cant find anything she looks very sad, but if she does greet me with something in her mouth it generally gets dropped very quickly in the hope that I might have something that she can carry inside (generally the mail or newspaper

Are you sure it is not a newfie :thanks: ? They always carry and slobber their toys :laugh:

I think newfies do it a lot, because we do all the retrieval training, "hold it", "take it" and "thank you".

Especailly Katy is always aming to please. She also likes to carry the mail, my hand bag or the horse leads.

It was a funtion bred into newfies, just like herding is to Border Collies.

Edited by newfsie

My Kieran (Dane X deerhound) would always carry the mail, or my backpack, or a bag of groceries.... he was very focussed and happy when doing so :thanks: A toy was usually in his mouth in the house ..and was always a dead giveaway when cat food or human food went missing ! There would be a soft toy lying at the spot :laugh: