Eeeeeeep- Everyone Made It Through Surgery (pictures Added Page 3)

Jumabaar

Just thought I would start a thread now to update how my girl (and my mum and I) go over the next few days! Abby is due on Monday, and had an X-ray today. The vet saw 7 puppies, but is not ruling out another two because there were some quite high up under her ribs.

This is Abbys, and my, second litter. Her first on was 5 pups that she delivered in 2.5 hrs quite easily. It seems so much scarier thinking that there might be NINE in there!!! I have a few experienced people to call, and a vet that I trust, plenty of supplies so I know I am as prepared as I can be but all I could think was EEEEEEEEEEEEP when I found out the count lol.

So anyway, I would be suprised if she lasted till Monday, she is a WHALE already. Still playing fetch and being a general idiot, typical Kelpie. I am going to start taking her temp from tonight. She was still playing fetch and eating while she was laboring for her last litter so her temp drop and an inability to settle (so she thought fetch was a good alternative to trying to lie down anywhere) were the only indications she was laboring lol.

Not tooooooooo worried, about the labor at least, but it should be an interesting few weeks ahead!!

Edited by ~Woofen~

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jett had 14 puppies, definate EEEEEKKKK moment, unfortunately 2 did not survive birth and she squashed 2 in the first 3 days, so in all we had 10 puppies, it was a lot of work, but the moment they opened their eyes and started moving around made it all worth it.... mind you POOP for 10 puppies, NOT FUN!!! :thumbsup:

Silverblue, I know what you mean about head counts, I swore I counted puppies about 1000 times a days for the first 3 weeks! I was so paranoid that she was going to squash more everytime I had to do something for a few minutes that I was driving myself insane

Edited by TrinaJ

Thanks Silverblue!!

I have just decided that perhaps collars would be good for them. It was easy to ID when there were just 5 because they were all very different weights, and two of the girls had markings (so it was only the boys who needed to differentiated). So was looking at whelping supplies to see what to get. Just not sure how tiny there necks will be when they are young!!

Any advice? Am going to shoot of an email but thought I would see what people recommended :thumbsup:

I was sitting last night watching her belly move- rather excited, only a few days left :)

From this

1013391336_YDSUj-M.jpg

and

1006009854_WzDPf-M.jpg

To this

1203521835_7bbfM-M.jpg

She is not happy having to waddle around, but luckily I had ankle surgery a week ago so am spending plenty of time cuddling her on the bed :)

Edited by ~Woofen~

Woofen - get the smallest (toy) ones with the velcro, they are good and will last you until they are about 5 weeks. You will probably need the next size up from about 6 or 7 weeks - and my litter were very good at removing them from each other in the last week or two, so you may even want to just invest in a clip style collar for the larger size.

Jett had 14 puppies, definate EEEEEKKKK moment, unfortunately 2 did not survive birth and she squashed 2 in the first 3 days, so in all we had 10 puppies, it was a lot of work, but the moment they opened their eyes and started moving around made it all worth it.... mind you POOP for 10 puppies, NOT FUN!!! :thumbsup:

Silverblue, I know what you mean about head counts, I swore I counted puppies about 1000 times a days for the first 3 weeks! I was so paranoid that she was going to squash more everytime I had to do something for a few minutes that I was driving myself insane

I am completely paranoid about puppies being squished. She was a good mum but would jump up when people went into the kitchen, and not look where she was going in order to see if she was getting food. All of her toys had to be confiscated and replaced with light ones because she would drop them in the box for us to throw when we were looking at the pups.

Mind you when pups got older and we put them in a play pen we would wake up in the morning and she would have jumped in and out to get ALL their toys and stash them in her crate!!!

Woofen - get the smallest (toy) ones with the velcro, they are good and will last you until they are about 5 weeks. You will probably need the next size up from about 6 or 7 weeks - and my litter were very good at removing them from each other in the last week or two, so you may even want to just invest in a clip style collar for the larger size.

THANK YOU!!!! Did you put them on straight away as they were born?

THANK YOU!!!! Did you put them on straight away as they were born?

I think I gave them 48hrs or so and then put them on. My lot were all so similar we were rather worried about mixing them up - and their markings change so quickly (even from the start) that identifying one as "female, white spot on chest" is not a reliable indicator after a week!

You are making me nervous, Woofen.

My girl is enormous and has almost 2 weeks still to go.

We are having a vet check tomorrow so I'll have my eek moment then!

Sway's whelping supplies have the little collars. I have a set ready to go.

Goldie babies look very similar, which is an under-statement.

I have ordered 2 sets of the toy ones :) I figure I can mark the second set with permanent markers if necessary, and if she only has 7 then I have some for next time.

No nerves Mollipop!! Happy Happy thoughts only :thumbsup:

I am hoping for solid chocolates this time (the white markings are undesirable) so 9 chocolate kelpies will defiantly need ID. In the end the boys were told apart because one grew in 8 white hairs in-between underneath his back left foot when he was 4 weeks old LMAO. Bluey got his name because he wore red nail polish for the first three weeks of his life. Found out red isnt a good colour as I had a few freak out moments when I thought someone was bleeding but it was just him flashing his nails. :)

I might crack out the nailpolish again for the first couple of days (yay more shopping)

I am completely paranoid about puppies being squished. She was a good mum but would jump up when people went into the kitchen, and not look where she was going in order to see if she was getting food. All of her toys had to be confiscated and replaced with light ones because she would drop them in the box for us to throw when we were looking at the pups.

Mind you when pups got older and we put them in a play pen we would wake up in the morning and she would have jumped in and out to get ALL their toys and stash them in her crate!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about a Kelpie squashing newborn puppies. We usually don't use the pig rails with Border Collies because the puppies get stuck under them or use them to climb out of the box after the first week. In all the years I have had Borders, I have never known of a bitch to lie on and kill a puppy in the first two weeks. They just aren't heavy enough to do that much damage. Sometimes the puppies get stuck behind mum and scream until you retrieve them but that's about it until they are a couple of weeks old. Once the mum is jumping in and out of the box or puppy pen more, there is a risk of her jumping on the puppies and injuring them but this is usually between 2 and 5 weeks. We have had a greenstick leg fracture at 5 weeks and I do know of just one case where the bitch jumped into the box onto a two week old puppy and broke his back. Very sad but thankfully the only one I have ever heard of.

Good luck with your litter and just make sure they all get rotated on the teats to stop the bigger one hogging the best spot and keep the food up to the mum as much as possible. Nutripet is very good for upping the calories and keeping the milk up. At least with 9 mastitis is usually not a problem. :)

LOL After just dealing with 6 I'm glad it wasn't more! Good luck Woofen - and have a chat to Armahani, I know she did 9! :(

Mmmm, I must have blanked the trauma of that out :) . Nup, 7 has been my max :) .

Good luck with the litter Woofen - I'm sure Abby will be just fine.

I know the Eeeeek feeling, I am expecting a min 8 newfys but possibly more. She is huge and still just under 4 weeks to go! I have a second scan booked for tomorrow, ordered some coloured colars and arranging helpers..

Good luck, fingers crossed you have 9 solid pups :thumbsup:

Thanks Silverblue!!

I have just decided that perhaps collars would be good for them. It was easy to ID when there were just 5 because they were all very different weights, and two of the girls had markings (so it was only the boys who needed to differentiated). So was looking at whelping supplies to see what to get. Just not sure how tiny there necks will be when they are young!!

Any advice? Am going to shoot of an email but thought I would see what people recommended :hug:

I was sitting last night watching her belly move- rather excited, only a few days left :laugh:

From this

1013391336_YDSUj-M.jpg

and

1006009854_WzDPf-M.jpg

To this

1203521835_7bbfM-M.jpg

She is not happy having to waddle around, but luckily I had ankle surgery a week ago so am spending plenty of time cuddling her on the bed :o

Very exciting :) time for you! Sure you'll both do fine.

Oh and totally unconnected but her photos are awesome! But not knowing much about the discipline she does, why is there a lead attached to her?

LizT- that is 3 sheep herding. She is still a beginner in it so you leave the lead on so you have something to step on if they wont come off the sheep. She does have a nice recall but hadn't seen sheep in 12mths so want sure if the training had stuck!! I am hoping to do more herding with her after this litter because she loves it!!

Abby has Conformation, Flyball, Endurance, Herding and Obedience titles- Ch Lyndoor Sleepy Sam ET HT FM CCD

I am hoping to add agility titles next year!! She is my first show and performance dog and I really couldn't ask any more from her. She wasnt the easiest dog to learn how to train a dog with (if that makes sense) but she really has taught me so much already :(

Yup I am a bit of a proud mum, regardless of the pups she has!

Anyway a quick update- her temp has dropped by a degree this morning. No signs of restlessness or nesting but the pups are on the move. They are getting rather squashed in there now!!

Edited by ~Woofen~

Quick update. Nothing is happening lol. So much for my prediction that she would have them on the weekend.

She now bulges out significantly behind her ribs, she is preferring to lie on her belly and has slowed down A LOT playing fetch- she still wants to but the other dogs are beating her to the ball.

Another update- Abby has stopped playing fetch, couldnt finish her last meal (although she still tried!!) and is in her whelping box looking very uncomfortable. I am currently in here too keeping her company and watching trashy tv. I put Foxtell on the Xbox for a month- the first time I have ever had it but figured it would be a treat since I am going to be in here for so long!!