Eeeeeeep- Everyone Made It Through Surgery (pictures Added Page 3)

Jumabaar

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All made it through safe and sound (even the humans feeling sick looking on)

4 boys, 4 girls- which is wonderful since I want to keep a girl :laugh:

For some reason (I think the number and good size of all the pups) she just didnt progress into the second stage of labour. I went to a vet that SAID they had experience and gave her oxytocin- I agreed to it because her cervix was dilated so wanted to try and get things progressing. The vet this afternoon was worried that because it was given early that it may have caused the uterus to tighten and keep the pups in place. So I opted to do a C-section rather than try for another hour. Have learnt a few new lessons!!

So a rather EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP Day in the end. Going to miss tomorrows exam because I havent slept in two nights and have made myself sick- totally worth it for my little churplets that are sitting in the whelping box!!!

So looking forward to another sleepless night as Abby is still wobbly on her feet and a little worried by the brown furry things that have suddenly appeared. That being said she tried to clean them before she had fully recovered from her GA- her tongue wasn't working so there was a lot of slobber and drool and poking of puppies. She is in the whelping box now giving them their second meal.

Any good links to info for looking after bitches post C-section? I figure extra info wont hurt :D

Edited by ~Woofen~

For some reason (I think the number and good size of all the pups) she just didnt progress into the second stage of labour. I went to a vet that SAID they had experience and gave her oxytocin- I agreed to it because her cervix was dilated so wanted to try and get things progressing. The vet this afternoon was worried that because it was given early that it may have caused the uterus to tighten and keep the pups in place. So I opted to do a C-section rather than try for another hour. Have learnt a few new lessons!!

So a rather EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP Day in the end. Going to miss tomorrows exam because I havent slept in two nights and have made myself sick- totally worth it for my little churplets that are sitting in the whelping box!!!

So looking forward to another sleepless night as Abby is still wobbly on her feet and a little worried by the brown furry things that have suddenly appeared. That being said she tried to clean them before she had fully recovered from her GA- her tongue wasn't working so there was a lot of slobber and drool and poking of puppies. She is in the whelping box now giving them their second meal.

Any good links to info for looking after bitches post C-section? I figure extra info wont hurt :D

Congrats on the litter.

Check her wound site at least twice a day. I alays have a look at every feed anyway. If her stitches appear red just make sure they arent being restricted. They may stick due to fluid drying. If she appears hot where her stitches are apply cool compresses and monitor the site for infections. Puppies claws can also pull on stitches as they try to get that milk down. They should be alright though. Was she put on antibiotics?

I take stitches out myself on surgeries but if anything is amiss call your vet. And in no time it will be a visit to get stitches out.

If you have the fishy ungvita cream Vit E) apply this to the wound area to help with healing. No strenuous exercise for her and check for sutures that may of come out. Make sure hands are clean when checking them. And if I have missed anything I am sure someone else can fill in :D

I'm not sure if this is her first litter, but don't stress too much if she is slow to 'bond' with the babies - some girls wake up from the caesar and wonder what the hell has gone on while they were out! LOL If so, give her 24hrs to settle and just watch her :laugh:

And congrats!!

Congrats on the litter.

Check her wound site at least twice a day. I alays have a look at every feed anyway. If her stitches appear red just make sure they arent being restricted. They may stick due to fluid drying. If she appears hot where her stitches are apply cool compresses and monitor the site for infections. Puppies claws can also pull on stitches as they try to get that milk down. They should be alright though. Was she put on antibiotics?

I take stitches out myself on surgeries but if anything is amiss call your vet. And in no time it will be a visit to get stitches out.

If you have the fishy ungvita cream Vit E) apply this to the wound area to help with healing. No strenuous exercise for her and check for sutures that may of come out. Make sure hands are clean when checking them. And if I have missed anything I am sure someone else can fill in :)

Thanks for the advice!! Will duck out to the chemist tomorrow to get the cream. I have one little miss that insists on burrowing her head in the suture wound so I have marked her hip to keep an eye on her during feeding. Thankfully I have no hesitation in ringing the vet (Quakers Hill) about anything- the receptionist was exceptional on the phone: its wonderful when you ring up a vet and they ask you the RIGHT question!! It was also great to sit there when she was recovering from her GA- I will be having any other surgeries done there for that specific reason.

She has been lying down for 3 hrs now letting them feed as they want- one pup is lying under her leg dreaming :D. I have given her some yogurt as she has gone off the biolac (when did it turn bright yellow????) and she will get some yummy red rooster chicken later because its her favourite :)

Its just hard getting pups onto the bottom teats as I dont want to pull the area too much, but she is already starting to role over as they burrow down to make space for them to access the teats.

There should be some photos tonight :) They are just SOOOOOOOOO damn cute!! I am so tired but so energised at the same time- I just cant stop talking about it all!!!

Congrats Woofen and Abby.

The puppies are here safely which is the main objective.

Lucky you reacted so quickly and got them out into the world.

Hope you get some sleep soon!

We had out vet check on Friday and a large litter is predicted, maybe 10+! Scary stuff!.

Congrats Woofen and Abby.

The puppies are here safely which is the main objective.

Lucky you reacted so quickly and got them out into the world.

Hope you get some sleep soon!

We had out vet check on Friday and a large litter is predicted, maybe 10+! Scary stuff!.

10+!!!!!! Wow I hope all goes well for you :laugh:

White Stripe boy- he was bleeding from his cord (solved now but he kept on getting his ties off- so already a naughty one!!) so he had a massive white stripe painted on his butt so we could pick him out easily lol

1208654382_9Watx-M.jpg

Pink boy

1208657577_K7UU4-M.jpg

Yellow boy

1208658781_BYWoK-M.jpg

Nekkid boy

1208651693_akuyk-M.jpg

Edited by ~Woofen~

Another update.......

All pups have now gained weight!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. They have been wearing collars during the day, so the littelies can be identified and get woken up for extra feeds- and the big hephalumps are left snoozing some of the time, and get put on once the littelies have had a let down.

Abby was a little slow to come into milk, but its flowing like a stream now!! She has bonded really well to them. Our only problem is when a pup squeals so she jumps over the side of the box with her stitches- she is starting to realise that she gets into trouble for it but its still stressful!

Hopefully there will be more positive updates :thumbsup:

Also further pictures can be found in their own thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=216538