Toddler Dies In Pet's Water Bowl

witheverythingiam

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/toddler-d...o-1226017089334

THE drowning death of a toddler in a pet's water bowl in Adelaide has prompted experts to issue fresh warnings to parents.

The girl, believed to be aged under two, drowned in the inner-suburbs of Thebarton in Adelaide's inner-west on Saturday about 7pm.

Ambulance crews rushed to the scene and the girl was taken to the Women and Children's Hospital, but she could not be revived.

A neighbour said the family had lived in the street for the past five years and were known to be friendly but quiet.

"I think they've got another child and I know they have a lot of animals ... this is just horrific," she said.

"Just a little baby, it's sad."

Police will prepare a report for the Coroner.

The tragedy comes as new research shows that most child drownings could be prevented with better supervision, research has shown.

University of Ballarat researchers used the National Coroners Information System database to investigate accidental drowning deaths of children, aged birth to 14 years, between July 1, 2000, and June 30, 2009.

The findings, published in the Medical Journal of Australia, show lack of adequate supervision was a contributing factor in seven out of 10 of the 339 deaths, 21 of which happened in South Australia. Lead researcher Lauren Petrass said supervision was ruled out as a factor in only 29 cases. Those were the result of such events as cars being swept off roads in flash flooding or boats capsizing. "Across all states, supervision has been recognised as a factor, it seems to be fairly constant," Ms Petrass said.

"While supervision is not a new concept, I don't think people are aware of what it is in an aquatic environment."

Surf Life Saving SA state manager Shane Daw said adults must always be vigilant when children are near water.

"No parent would intentionally leave their child at risk, but things happen so quickly and things you would presume to be so innocent can pose a risk," Mr Daw said.

"Don't assume that anything is safe when it involves water, children must be supervised at all times."

Mr Daw said all parents should learn at least basic CPR and resuscitation techniques.

"We encourage all parents and families to learn first aid, but if you can't do that, do basic CPR and resuscitation, you just never know.

"In situations like this, it's those little things, a bucket you think is quite harmless, a couple of centimetres of water in the bath, however with young children they are potential hazards and pose great risks."

Kidsafe SA chief Helen Noblet said the findings were consistent with the organisation's assessment.

"When we talk about supervision, especially with young children, we talk about them literally being at arm's length. You cannot afford to let them out of your sight, not even for a second," she said.

Ms Noblet did not believe giving a DVD to new parents on water supervision - supported by the Federal Government - was the best way to raise awareness.

"I'm not sure if a DVD is the way to go," she said.

"As a new mum, sitting down to watch a DVD might not be high on the priority list," she said. "A high saturation of media advertising on TV, radio and bus stops may work better."

So sad!

What a tragedy... Poor baby, and I can't imagine what the parents must be going through...

I don't have kids yet, but surely saying that a 2 year old should always be at arms length is a little over the top...

You just don't imagine that a pet's water bowl could impose such a risk though do you? :D

A child can drown in as little as an inch of water (enough to cover mouth and nose if they have fallen over and become unconscious) - so any water bowl can result in a child drowning.

Buckets are more common for little ones as they can end up-side down in the bucket and unable to get out - so things like nappy buckets and water buckets for animals.

So sad, my thoughts are with all those involved. :shrug:

A few months ago the neighbour, also a friend of ours had a pool set up so I took Jack over for a splash. It was a pool that had been given to us. One of those blow up ones that came to about my knee height. Having a 2 yr old and 4 yr old myself, I REFUSED to have it set up here (alarm bells rang) so gave it to them as they do not have kids.

Jack WAS in arms length of me the whole time, but still went partly under the water, when he slipped and fell backwards. Thank Dog I was there to grab him - otherwise he would of went right under. :) Still, he was coughing and spitting out water, I seriously thought I had to call an ambulance. It was terrifying for him and for us. All it takes is a split second for something to go wrong. :o

How frightful for the poor baby. Surely parents can keep their eye on their babies? What is wrong with people? We are all stuck with pool fencing, which many don't need nor want,because parents don't seem to get that it is THEIR job to keep their kids out of harm's way.

Now the govt is mooting for fencing driveways, because of the number of toddles killed or run over the the family car. So, we all pay more for something the majority don't want or need, because the minority are careless.

And pool fencing doesn't seem to have reduced the drownings by even a partial percentage. People rent houses with pools, and do not check that the gate has a lock which works, and is closed, and their children subsequently drown. How difficult is it to check, check, check?

K9Angel, Jack WAS at arms length - which is why he didn't drown. Many vigilant mothers have saved tiny tots from death - because the mother was watching. It's not the near misses, it is the hits,because no one was close which are the problem.

OT - I remember many years ago I was at a Christmas party of one of my mum's work colleagues. There was a number of kids running around and they were in and out of the above ground pool (which was fenced but the gate was propped open by one of the parents so they didn't need to keep opening the gate).

I was half watching the kids laughing and having a good time when I decided to go over to the pool - to this day I really don't know what made me go over ... but imagine my horror to find the youngest little girl was floating face down in the pool. Thankfully I had recently done a CPR course and grabbed her out out of the pool and started calling for help. Those couple of minutes of CPR seemed to go on for ever and the whole time the parents were still sitting at the table drinking and laughing not registering their childs like was almost cut short.

The parents finally came over as the ambulance was arriving - they objected to the ambulance being called and they were arguing between themselves as to who should go with the little girl - because neither wanted to leave the party (and the drinking).

So tragic :):love:

I hate it when I hear parents blamed for accidents like these. And it sounds like a terrible accident. Little people who are confident walkers are very fast. And it is hard to keep them within reach at all times. They are also very unpredictable.

I nearly lost one of mine to drowning when he was 21 months old. We were walking at the botanical gardens with my parents. I was pushing the pram with the new baby, and my Dad and oldest son were walking behind with the toddler. All of a sudden he dashed off and ran through a garden bed straight into the duck pond. Neither dad nor my son saw him go and there was no noise. Fortunately my husband had turned around to check at that moment and had seen him run. He ran after him and there he was floating face down in the duck pond. It was shallow enough that he could have stood up, but he was in his winter clothes which in Tassie included a snow suit which made it impossible for him to stand. He was just lying there - it was terrifying. :)

Of course we grabbed him out and apart from being cold and shocked there was no harm done, but it proved to me how easy it can be. I can never blame someone for an accident that happened so quickly. And our dog's water bowls are emptied when there are toddlers at my house.

I hate it when I hear parents blamed for accidents like these. And it sounds like a terrible accident. Little people who are confident walkers are very fast. And it is hard to keep them within reach at all times. They are also very unpredictable.

I know, it is just terrible. They will blame themselves for the rest of their lives, they don't need anyone else adding to their distress :love: These stories break my heart :)

Edited by cmkelpie

Guest Willow
A child can drown in as little as an inch of water (enough to cover mouth and nose if they have fallen over and become unconscious) - so any water bowl can result in a child drowning.

Buckets are more common for little ones as they can end up-side down in the bucket and unable to get out - so things like nappy buckets and water buckets for animals.

It's partly because they have lerge heads in relation to their body size, and are quite top heavy, with weak neck muscles....once they tip over it can be impossible for them to get themselves righted again.

Kids are so drawn to water, it sparkles & moves....

What a dreadful tragedy :)

• 2 weeks later...
What a tragedy... Poor baby, and I can't imagine what the parents must be going through...

I don't have kids yet, but surely saying that a 2 year old should always be at arms length is a little over the top...

You just don't imagine that a pet's water bowl could impose such a risk though do you? :laugh:

Actually, it's not over the top at all. With young toddlers you literally DO have to watch them 100% of the time. And as often seen for very good reason. I know of a case a few years ago of a toddler choking to death in a tangle on a frayed towel on the line in the backyard! :cheer:

Ask your mum, she'll tell you! :(