Show Entries...

parrotpea

So I have a couple of questions:

* Is there a simple way to find out the entry and catalogue fees for shows which are only listed in the gazette? Or do I need to contact the club secretary for that particular show? (Am wondering about the Greensborough show on April 16th, and the easter festival shows on April 23/24 if anyone has entered and knows how much they are..)

* Do I just pay the one entry fee, or do I pay an entry fee per class entered (all for the one dog)?

* I need some practise in the show ring, but am I insane for thinking about entering multiple classes once my pup gets to 6 months? What is a reasonable number of classes to enter in the one show(bearing in mind my pup will only be just over 6 months, and I will have only done a couple of shows previously)?

Thanks - help and advice much appreciated :laugh:

1 Not sure what you mean - do you not have the gazette to look in?? If not, then a lot of shows have their schedule on line, if that fails yep, phone the secretary

2 & 3 You pay an entry fee for each class. You can only enter one BREED class with your dog (1, 2, 3, 4 etc) You can enter however many sweepstakes/property classes your dog is eligible for.

With a baby puppy I would only do a sweepstake & their breed class - you can practice outside the ring and often that's better than inside the ring because you are more able to concentrate and not get all flustered if it goes wrong. That said, don't over practise and make it boring - babies should be having fun at shows.

See you Saturday :laugh:

Edited by Sandra777

Actually you can enter as many breed classes as your dog is eligible to enter, eg. at just over 6 months old, minor, puppy, aus bred, open. Personally I think you should stick to the one class as if you have entered all 4 classes and you get beaten in minor class you cannot compete in the rest, once a beaten dog you are finished.

Are you not a member of DogsVic? You should get a journal every month with schedules in it, or look online.

Yep I'm a member of DogsVic and I've got the gazette, but for most of the shows only the dates are listed on the official calendar and there are no entry fees listed there.

Looking forward to it Sandra :laugh:

There is also a pinned thread at the top of this forum, Show Ring FAQ :)

Make sure you fill in your entry forms correctly and they are the normal size, not huge big whoppers or ones half size of all the rest. That the envelopes you include for your return of numbers will actually stick down, that the cheque is signed and dated, that your writing is clear and if printing out on a computer that the printing is big enough to be read, to include an entry for each dog for each day if entering a double show and the right amount of money.

Phew can you tell I am currently doing the entries for 2 champ shows :laugh:

And keep asking questions, most are only too pleased to be able to help you.

Yep I'm a member of DogsVic and I've got the gazette, but for most of the shows only the dates are listed on the official calendar and there are no entry fees listed there.

Schedules for Greensborough and the Easter shows are in the February gazette.

Actually you can enter as many breed classes as your dog is eligible to enter, eg. at just over 6 months old, minor, puppy, aus bred, open. Personally I think you should stick to the one class as if you have entered all 4 classes and you get beaten in minor class you cannot compete in the rest, once a beaten dog you are finished.

Are you not a member of DogsVic? You should get a journal every month with schedules in it, or look online.

Hi Ceilidh,

I think you may find that multiple class entries does not apply to all states.

If I am wrong there will be plenty to let me know about it.

Actually if you are beaten in Minor you can still compete in the other classes, you are just not eligible to compete for Challenge. We used this to our advantage when we had several Whippet bitches to show, they eliminated each other whilst still giving us the chances in each class in group at that level.

Hi Ceilidh,

I think you may find that multiple class entries does not apply to all states.

If I am wrong there will be plenty to let me know about it.

I think it is a state by state thing, it's allowed in the NT but clubs discourage it by charging $25 per additional class per dog.

Looking forward to it Sandra :laugh:

Maybe the schedules just aren't that gazette, they are either in previous months or issues not yet out.

Unless Vic is different to every other state, the schedules for 99% of the shows will be in the gazette at some point.

Edited by Diva

If you don't have the February gazette because you have just joined give DogsVic a call, I am sure they would be more than happy to pop a copy in the mail for you :laugh:

edited to add both the schedules for the Greensborough show and the Easter show are in the February gazette.

Edited by SnoPaws

So I have a couple of questions:

* Is there a simple way to find out the entry and catalogue fees for shows which are only listed in the gazette? Or do I need to contact the club secretary for that particular show? (Am wondering about the Greensborough show on April 16th, and the easter festival shows on April 23/24 if anyone has entered and knows how much they are..)

* Do I just pay the one entry fee, or do I pay an entry fee per class entered (all for the one dog)?

* I need some practise in the show ring, but am I insane for thinking about entering multiple classes once my pup gets to 6 months? What is a reasonable number of classes to enter in the one show(bearing in mind my pup will only be just over 6 months, and I will have only done a couple of shows previously)?

Thanks - help and advice much appreciated :laugh:

Your questions have been answered already but I was just wondering why the breeder of your puppy hasn't / isn't helping you with all of this ??? Thats a part of our job :o imho . . . It would make it so much easier if they could sit down with you and go through it all.

In WA if you enter more than one class and you are beaten in any of those classes you are then knocked out for the rest.

In saying that, not many, if any, compete in more than one class.

Not sure how, directly contradicts the ANKC.

One part of the ANKC Regulations says:

4.1 Breed Classes

1. Judge all dog classes in breed.

2. Judge the dog challenge winner from the exhibits placed first, who are

unbeaten, in each of the breed classes, excluding baby puppy.

3. Judge the reserve challenge winner from the balance of class winning

exhibits and the second place winner from the class in which the challenge

winner was entered.

4. Repeat 1, 2 and 3 in the bitch classes in breed.

Why would they have that in there if it was not possible for a dog to place second in one class and first in another? That is the beaten dog scenario as I see it.

This is based on memory but I believe this is a scenario that we were taught at Stewards Training one of the several times I have done it (my mum was the trainer so I attended with her I wasn't stupid :laugh: also this scenario says alot more about the judge too but I have no idea who the judge was)

A dog won it's class, it was then beaten in the next class. Due to steward error both dogs went in for Challenge. The original dog won challenge (what the?) and went on to win BOB, BIG and BIS. Some egg on the face when that little error was picked up. Needless to say the BIS didn't stand.

Are u and the bub coming to kepala on the weekend?? if u are bring the gazette and ill show u how it works... there are 'adds' and then there is the big calender sort of set up wiht the basics in it... u need to read the add looking one known as the shedule...

The adds have times address for payments and classes and judges etc etc...

The calender is just a brief run down of what is happening in each month

In WA if you enter more than one class and you are beaten in any of those classes you are then knocked out for the rest.

4.1 Breed Classes

winner was entered.

Why would they have that in there if it was not possible for a dog to place second in one class and first in another? That is the beaten dog scenario as I see it.

This is based on memory but I believe this is a scenario that we were taught at Stewards Training one of the several times I have done it (my mum was the trainer so I attended with her I wasn't stupid :cry: also this scenario says alot more about the judge too but I have no idea who the judge was)

A dog won it's class, it was then beaten in the next class. Due to steward error both dogs went in for Challenge. The original dog won challenge (what the?) and went on to win BOB, BIG and BIS. Some egg on the face when that little error was picked up. Needless to say the BIS didn't stand.

Not sure I understand...

what I typed is in line with section 2 of ANKC? or do you mean they still compete in all the classes they enter, but if they are beaten in any, they cannot go into the challenge line up?

I just did the steward training... it's all fairly fresh but I am happy to be corrected..

*Dog is entered in Minor and Puppy class - Dog comes first in Minor but second in Puppy and therefore cannot compete in the challenge line up in either class

Please correct me if I am wrong!!

4.1 Breed Classes

winner was entered.

This is based on memory but I believe this is a scenario that we were taught at Stewards Training one of the several times I have done it (my mum was the trainer so I attended with her I wasn't stupid :cry: also this scenario says alot more about the judge too but I have no idea who the judge was)

Not sure I understand...

what I typed is in line with section 2 of ANKC? or do you mean they still compete in all the classes they enter, but if they are beaten in any, they cannot go into the challenge line up?

I just did the steward training... it's all fairly fresh but I am happy to be corrected..

*Dog is entered in Minor and Puppy class - Dog comes first in Minor but second in Puppy and therefore cannot compete in the challenge line up in either class

Please correct me if I am wrong!!

You wrote "In WA if you enter more than one class and you are beaten in any of those classes you are then knocked out for the rest."

I read this as competing in existing classes. So Second in Minor and then unable to compete in Puppy.

We could be on the same page just I read it wrong

Looking forward to it Sandra :cry:

Maybe the schedules just aren't that gazette, they are either in previous months or issues not yet out.

Unless Vic is different to every other state, the schedules for 99% of the shows will be in the gazette at some point.

Ah ha - I just worked out that the single line gazette listings have the month of the proper ad listed beside them - now it makes sense :)

I just don't seem to have the February gazette - only January and March - I didn't get the February one. I emailed my breeder and she said I could download Feb in PDF but I can't work out how to log into the members area. Trying again now. I will have a talk to breeder this weekend if I haven't got it worked out as we will both be going to the same show.

Kirst - no I wont be at Kepala this weekend - the SBT club show is on at KCC. Very excited and hoping not to embarrass myself too much!