Am I The Only One?

dandybrush

now i'm a worrier by nature

But i worry every day that i have when he was a puppy overplayed him which is going to give him arthritis and leg problems (he has a click in his front left ankle and my chiropractor says he has potential problems in his hocks) so he is on glucosamine (is there anything else i can give him?? to help prevent problems?)

i also worry about him getting stolen or hurt. I worry that he is lonely or not happy when we are out (now he is fine when we go out, has no separation issues)

is it just me? am i the only one who worries that i make mistakes that could not be good for him in the long run? or am i alone in this weirdness?

thanx cw :(

he has no issues atm, but i worry he will get issues haha, i know its weird

meh - do you mean between me and OH? or me and pup? when im out with OH i am fine, i dont worry i know he is happy at home and with my dog im not constantly fretting over him, i just worry that as he ages things i do with him now may affect him and i know i will blame myself

pers - i know its not a good thing, i get in trouble all the time for worrying about things i cant control, not even just dog related :)

maybe i need to change my way of thinking and try to enjoy the now (which i do) but stop worrying about the future? and deal with it as it happens :thumbsup:

Edited by dandybrush

I worry about my 10 month old boy, Chase. I have waited for so long to have a male bullmastiff, and a stunning one at that! I have lost 3 young dogs close to my heart in a short space of time in the last 4 years(18mth old to snake, 16mth old to cancer and a 12 week old to a terrible accident) and then I nearly lost Chase late last year( anaphylaxis or choking, not %100 sure, resulting in pneumonia) which has only made me worse. Im convinced I will lose him and so I am super paranoid and extra careful with him. I have a really strong bond with him now and dont think I could handle losing him. After not knowing whether it was anaphylactic to a bee sting Ive only just started letting him stay out side unsupervised for any length of time. I wont leave him outside if Im not home, and he comes inside as soon as it gets dark, so I can keep an eye on him.

I dont worry so much about other things, just that I might lose him.

I have worried about my dogs, especially now that they are old. It helps me to put things into perspective, and ask questions like "what is the real risk of that?" or "what is the risk of this relative to the risk of the thing the worry is preventing me from doing?" It's a good strategy for a lot of things, really.

I worry when I just leave Jet home alone :)

Just in case he hurts himself, finds a way to escape or get's taken. I guess I am mostly afraid that if I am not there then I can't help him if something bad happens. I hate leaving him at home every morning when I leave for work. If I could bring him with me everywhere I would.

jj im the same, i do worry that while im not home he will get taken :thumbsup: but i dont think he would run away, he is not interested in jumping the front fence. gosh i would love a job i could bring him to :)

Edited by dandybrush

You wouldn't be human if you didn't worry.

I worry about things like when I go to work and the dogs are left inside the house burning down. And snakes when we are out walking.

I try not to worry and tell myself all the good stuff like they are healthy, happy well rounded, well socialized dogs, I am proud of them and they have a good life, good food, warm at night etc etc so all that out weights the worrying if that makes sense.

Yes I do constantly worry but that's because I have anxiety and constantly worry about EVERYTHING. It's exhausting and a quite dysfunctional thought pattern.

ETA:

I worry about things like when I go to work and the dogs are left inside the house burning down.

Oh yes, the house burning down with them inside is one of my big ones. The other is that my big dog will be playing with the smaller ones and break one of their backs and they'll be laying in horrific pain for hours until I get home. And lastly that a burglar had killed them all so they can steal our stuff.

Edited by molasseslass

I worry constantly about mine, too. But rather than worrying about them getting hurt etc, I worry that they aren't getting enough mental stimulation, if they are bored, if they are frustrated, if they are barking from boredom (my neighbor tell me they don't), are they happy?, are they hungry?, was the walk long enough?

And if I'm sick and they don't get a walk... Gosh, I worry myself sicker.

yes the house burning down, but raz is inside/outside so he could go in the yard to escape that

i too worry about snakes on bush walks (doesnt stop me bushwalking though) and i worry that he will attract sharks when swimming...so i try to find him creeks and dams to swim in

tlc - im the same i try to tell myself there is no use worrying if its nothing i can fix

Edited by dandybrush

Guest Willow

I have anxiety issues, and I used to worry about my dogs....probably not to the extent you described, but their welfare would be on my mind a lot.

I've found since having my daughter I don't worry half as much about the dogs, I just don't have the room in my brain or the energy to do so, and with them I've found I now have a more "meh, they'll be right" attitude....and you know what? They are!!! :thumbsup:

I still love them & care about their welfare, but I don't have the time to indulge the anxious thoughts anymore. To some extent the anxiety got transferred to my concerns about my daughter, which I'm working on :)

I think it's a case of now I'm so busy, I only have time to worry about the stuff I need to, IYKWIM????

Edited by Willow

Guest Willow
I have worried about my dogs, especially now that they are old. It helps me to put things into perspective, and ask questions like "what is the real risk of that?" or "what is the risk of this relative to the risk of the thing the worry is preventing me from doing?" It's a good strategy for a lot of things, really.

That is a good strategy for life really.

Yep I'm a worrier too, especially when I go out & leave them on their own, I imagine all the horrible things that can happen to them...I'm so anxious to to get home asap. :)

My biggest fear is that a snake will get into their yard & bite them (I'm so paranoid about checking their yard before letting them outside.)

My 13 yo old Aussie terrier x Jessie has just been diagnosed with a heart murmur, so I worry about her too. :thumbsup:

I love my dogs with all my heart, so I think it's only natural for me to worry about them & want to protect them & keep them safe.

I worry that they're bored, or destroying something, or barking and pissing off the neighbours. I used to worry that Akira was lonely, but I don't worry about that anymore now that we have Halo. Other than that, I don't worry about something happening to them though - I don't want to worry about things like that because otherwise my life would be taken up by worry.

Edited by whiskedaway

I do with Quinn because I got her to compete in sports with and won't have room for another dog for years now, every fall or slip or slight limp, if she sits crookedly and jumps too high. She's much tougher than I am. lol