Newbie To The Showring

StarsHollow

Hi all, hoping that some experienced showies can help me out. I'm going to be starting out with my baby puppy boxer this year and just wondering if someone can give me the order in which things run, with classes etc and if she wins, where to go from there etc, etc..... I did show beagles many, many years ago, but have been concentrating on my horse show team for 10 years now, so a bit rusty !! Any help would be appreciated

Also would like to know what sort of lead I should use, i have a white nylon puppy slip lead i'm using for training at the moment, but what do i need for the ring

Can't wait to get out there, she is a very special girl !!!

Thanks in Advance for any help and advice

Check the FAQ for newbies at the top of this section it has everything in there...

You may want to do a search on show leads its a toss up between what people prefer and its up to you.. if you google dog show leads australia you should get a fair idea of what people are using... hessonite and hide and collars are good websites to look at for a bit of a range.. (and also order from).

Depending on what state you live in your local dog community for example mine is dogssa will have a heap of information also..

Hi all, hoping that some experienced showies can help me out. I'm going to be starting out with my baby puppy boxer this year and just wondering if someone can give me the order in which things run, with classes etc and if she wins, where to go from there etc, etc..... I did show beagles many, many years ago, but have been concentrating on my horse show team for 10 years now, so a bit rusty !! Any help would be appreciated

Also would like to know what sort of lead I should use, i have a white nylon puppy slip lead i'm using for training at the moment, but what do i need for the ring

Leigh Cogley conducts Show training classes at the Kcc park on thursday nights, she is great, the classes start about 7.30pm in the Pavillon, oh dont forget your pooch, lead, treats & 11 bucks

Thanks all for your great advice, i guess dont want to miss any classes that i may be able to enter also

How do general specials work ??

As i have a baby puppy are there any other classes i can enter besides just her age class??

Hopefully there will be people around to guide me LOL I know from experience help can sometimes be hard to come by, but thanks to everyone so far !!!

How do general specials work ??

This isn't something you enter (sorry if you didn't mean this) General Specials is Best in Show, Best Puppy In Show etc. To compete your dog first has to win Baby Puppy of Group, Best of Group or whatever.

As i have a baby puppy are there any other classes i can enter besides just her age class??

You could put her in Baby Puppy Sweepstakes if this was offered, and later Puppy Sweeps, Junior Sweeps etc if offered. In some states once she's over 6 months old you could enter her in Minor Puppy and Puppy and Australian Bred and Open if you wanted to but in other states you can't and frankly it's pretty rare to do it.

You could put her in Baby Puppy Sweepstakes if this was offered, and later Puppy Sweeps, Junior Sweeps etc if offered. In some states once she's over 6 months old you could enter her in Minor Puppy and Puppy and Australian Bred and Open if you wanted to but in other states you can't and frankly it's pretty rare to do it.

This is something I never knew, after going to shows for 3 years, one of those showing my own girl, I only ever saw dogs entered into one class. I'm gathering it's not a common thing?

When looking at the beagle results from crufts, I noticed there was a dog that was entered and placed three times. He came 2nd in his first class and 1st in the other two classes. But can I assume because he was a beaten dog in that first class, he couldn't go in for the challenge?

Is this a common thing? I can't say I've seen it in our breed. I just thought if a dog was entered, it was into one class and that was it?

Edited by ~Erin~

CAn anyone email me a conformation entry form, having trouble getting one off of the Dogs Vic website

Thanks

[email protected]

Hey StarsHollow-

What show are you wanting to enter? There is a good chance that there will be a few DOL people there which may be of help. Have you spoken with others in your breed who show and you are friendly with? You can also ask your breeder for some info and support too (athough we are always happy to help out here on DOL). I'm in Group 5 and I know others on DOL who are helpful and in other Groups, so depending on your breed we may be able to put you in touch with people who can give you some encouragement :hug:

newbies to the show ring might find this entertaining and educational as well.

"horrendous handling errors"

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...194647&st=0

it seems things can go wrong even to experienced show people.

LOL Some of these are kind of funny, but I don't recommend that you read them before you go in for your first time if you are the type of person to get a bit nervous!! :laugh:

Thanks very much, i've only just got my baby at the weekend, she is 11 weeks old and a boxer, i havent shown boxer's before, beagles 12 years ago, so only really know the breeder i bought my baby from, but she is in NSW and i'm in Vic...would love to meet some fellow boxer people !! Thinking of going to the canine museum show and the boxer open show afterwards, but probably wont get my entries in on time now as i've only just sent off my transfer papers....LOl bit keen !!!

Hope to go to Pakenham show this saturday as its a bit closer to me..

Unfortuantely I live in Gippsland, near Bairnsdale so all the shows are hours travelling, but i'm used to the drive, usually with horses, so showing dogs is much easier !!

Thanks again

Hey StarsHollow-

What show are you wanting to enter? There is a good chance that there will be a few DOL people there which may be of help. Have you spoken with others in your breed who show and you are friendly with? You can also ask your breeder for some info and support too (athough we are always happy to help out here on DOL). I'm in Group 5 and I know others on DOL who are helpful and in other Groups, so depending on your breed we may be able to put you in touch with people who can give you some encouragement :laugh:

Starshollow I could be wrong (someone else will confirm that!) but i think if your puppy is already registered (had the papers) you can enter the show under your breeders name... (ask the breeder to send your entry?) i did that when I was waiting for the papers to come back and I wanted to get an entry in for a show. This was a while ago though so things might have changed. You do have to be a member of DogsSA if you want to handle though.

Thanks, never thought of that !!!

Starshollow I could be wrong (someone else will confirm that!) but i think if your puppy is already registered (had the papers) you can enter the show under your breeders name... (ask the breeder to send your entry?) i did that when I was waiting for the papers to come back and I wanted to get an entry in for a show. This was a while ago though so things might have changed. You do have to be a member of DogsSA if you want to handle though.

This is something I never knew, after going to shows for 3 years, one of those showing my own girl, I only ever saw dogs entered into one class. I'm gathering it's not a common thing?

When looking at the beagle results from crufts, I noticed there was a dog that was entered and placed three times. He came 2nd in his first class and 1st in the other two classes. But can I assume because he was a beaten dog in that first class, he couldn't go in for the challenge?

Is this a common thing? I can't say I've seen it in our breed. I just thought if a dog was entered, it was into one class and that was it?

Think you can't do it in Qld Erin. Could be wrong as I've never actually looked in to it.

Yep, if it's beaten in one class even if it wins every other class it's entered it can't compete for the CC.

Quite common to enter multiple classes in the UK, but woooo the cost!!!!!

Yep...sure am !!!
Nothing to add but I'm hazzarding a guess you're a Gilmore Girls fan :laugh:

slightly off track here :) I'm glad there is another Gilmore Girls fan, I have the whole series on Dvd,

I will be at Pakenham on sat with 3 of ours

Think you can't do it in Qld Erin. Could be wrong as I've never actually looked in to it.

Yep, if it's beaten in one class even if it wins every other class it's entered it can't compete for the CC.

Quite common to enter multiple classes in the UK, but woooo the cost!!!!!

I guess that would explain why I haven't seen it.

I know!! I've just entered Abby into the NSW beagle specialties and she's one dog... entered in one class and two properties! Ouch :grouphug: