Labradoodle Pedgiree Or Not?

greatdanes101

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not a recognised breed in the australian national kennel club (ANKC) therefore, they cannot be registered as pure bred.

I believe there is some effort to get them recognised through various labradoodle associations, but they appear to be a long way off breeding true to type.

At this stage, I don't think it should be recognised as a purebred because there are so many variations. some are woolly, some are wiry, some look very much like labs, some look a lot like poodles. They also have many of the health problems associated with the two breeds such as PRA (a condition leading to blindness), hip dysplasia, bad skin/allergy etc. So they can't really be considered to be healthier than their purebred counterparts.

yeah i agree with you aussielover ive seen some that look identical to a standard poodle that i can't tell the difference between the two. Ive heard there trying to get them recognized as a registered breed. some of them are nice dogs but very stupid shit for brains.

There are some yankees trying to set up a register and a breed standard, and only breed lxp with lxp to get lxpxlxp (confused yet?) - so much for hybrid vigor there...

Same deal for cocker spaniel x poodle.

And there are a few other breeds trying to get ANKC (the Oz one) recognition / affiliation. Some make sense to me and some don't.

I can't understand how a group can be anti ANKC because they're anti deliberate xbreeding, and then want to join the ANKC (USA for starters) and impose the same restrictions.

there a mutt and should never bee allowed to be called a purebred. The way i see it is why cross breed a lab and poodle together when both breeds do simular work if i'm correct both breeds are known for hunting ducks if i'm wrong i'm sorry as i don't know much about the poodle. All i'm saying is why cross breed these 2 breeds when the purebred lab or purebred poodle will do the same work as the cross breed. The cross breed is a waste of time,money and effort when the lab and poodle are just as good actually better.

I see nothing wrong with mixing breeds for the sake of coming up with a new breed. Of course I don't agree with the designer dog fad, the only way I could accept it is if they have a plan and do the necessary health testing.

But that's how a lot of breeds came to be, so we can't say it should never be done.

They are a x-breed.

I understand there are some people on the Lab x Poodle world doing the right thing in terms of working towards breed recognition....it's a long process with a number of criteria's to meet....one of which you need the dogs to breed true....look the same....currently they don't.

there a mutt and should never bee allowed to be called a purebred. The way i see it is why cross breed a lab and poodle together when both breeds do simular work if i'm correct both breeds are known for hunting ducks if i'm wrong i'm sorry as i don't know much about the poodle. All i'm saying is why cross breed these 2 breeds when the purebred lab or purebred poodle will do the same work as the cross breed. The cross breed is a waste of time,money and effort when the lab and poodle are just as good actually better.

How do you think all the breeds we have today came about?

Not that I support x-breeding, however when there is a group working towards the recognition of the breed and doing all the right things....

Although there are a bunch who aren't are just see $ signs.

Shar pei are a recognised breed and yet I can put 10 in a yard and not one looks the same. They do not breed "true to type"at all. In the words of a breeder "its a crap shoot". They have different colours, coat lengths, heights, muzzles, head shapes but all are pure "shar pei".

As MEH says, if some breeders are putting in the hard yards to do the correct breeding plans then I have no issue. The problem will always be though the others who are just in it for the dollars and not be bothered with breeding programmes.

Labrador x poodles are not a breed. They are a cross breed.

There are some people who breed labrador x poodles and keep pedigree (i.e. family tree) records. In this way they do have a 'pedigree', but this does not mean that it is a breed.

The Australian Labradoodle Association is doing great stuff to ensure they are only breeding healthy dogs and there are some people who are working toward recognition.

Just because the ANKC dont accept onto their registry doesnt mean it isnt a purebred. Problem is the term labradoodle is used to describe a first cross dog with one parent a poodle and one parent a lab - a mongrel and its also used to describe a dog which is breeding consistently to a standard and is 10 or so generations into the breed development work.

I see nothing wrong with anyone working toward making a new breed - predictible and consistent - however, while ever they refuse to change the name they have no hope in my opinion in ever getting recognition for or acceptance of their dogs as a breed.

So what are they going to put down as the origin of the breed - to make money!!!!!!!

Give me a break - they can test all they want - the various "examples" I have met have been lunatics - is this in the breed description as well.

however, while ever they refuse to change the name they have no hope in my opinion in ever getting recognition for or acceptance of their dogs as a breed.

Therein lies the problems. If they just dropped the silly name they'd be in with a shot for being taken seriously and set apart from the cross breeding frenzy.

So what are they going to put down as the origin of the breed - to make money!!!!!!!

Actually I think originally they were bred in an attempt to create a non-allergenic breed to be a guide dog...failed for that purpose though as of course only 50% of them retain the poodle non-shedding type coat. Really can't see them becoming a true breed in their own right in the near future though, because of the issues already identified by others in this post.

The Australian Labradoodle Association is doing great stuff to ensure they are only breeding healthy dogs and there are some people who are working toward recognition.

Just because the ANKC dont accept onto their registry doesnt mean it isnt a purebred. Problem is the term labradoodle is used to describe a first cross dog with one parent a poodle and one parent a lab - a mongrel and its also used to describe a dog which is breeding consistently to a standard and is 10 or so generations into the breed development work.

I see nothing wrong with anyone working toward making a new breed - predictible and consistent - however, while ever they refuse to change the name they have no hope in my opinion in ever getting recognition for or acceptance of their dogs as a breed.

I agree, i think their name is the thing that will stop them being recognised as a purebred.

There is a great big world of purebred dogs that are not in the ANKC. Though it may be surprising to some, being in the ANKC is the last thing some of them want.

I will admit that using the word 'Pedigreed dog' right now is best left securely with the kennel club dogs, for fear that all dog breeders might get taken in with the problems facing them.

Pedigreed really means just that, that the dog has a pedigree and a pedigree is not exclusive to ANKC, far from it.

However the word we should really use is purebred, as this is also not limited to the kennel club dogs, does not yet carry the baggage associted with the word pedigreed, and we can hope can still be saved as an acceptable method of breeding dogs.

Purebred means an animal bred from 2 parents of the same breed. Breeds come to exsist from the mixing of other breeds to form a new breed with a new definition.

A breed can be defind a by a lot of different ways, even defined by not using a show ring standard.

Anyone or group of breeders can form their own registry or join one already functioning, so they certainly can be registered even if not choosing to particiapate in ANKC.

Now can a labraddodles be a purebred? Why not.

If they breed 4-5-6 generations of labradoodles or how every many they (not you) decide it takes and they document that to their rules (not yours), in their stud book (not just your stud book) and they breed dogs that fit the definition they set (not that you set) then they can call their dogs purebred Labradoodles if they want to, and would be perfectly right in doing so.

Because I know what a labradoodle is and everyone commenting also knows what a labradoodle is. Because Labradoodles already have a registry with rules. Because Labrododdles are listed on the AVA and OFA hip and elbow and health testing registers, and in Australia are the 6th most common breed to be hip scored by AVA. Because Labradoodles are known, have breed clubs and breeders all over the world. I would say they certainly are a breed and can call their dogs purebred, and can call them pedigreed if they like. In fact even if they want to leave their stud book open to accept controlled cross breds, I would still say they are a breed.

I could careless if people want to breed labradoodles or buy labradoodles. I do care about the quality of the breeding programs, but that applies to all breeders.

Edited by shortstep

I see nothing wrong with mixing breeds for the sake of coming up with a new breed. Of course I don't agree with the designer dog fad, the only way I could accept it is if they have a plan and do the necessary health testing.

But that's how a lot of breeds came to be, so we can't say it should never be done.

Yep, agree. Who drew the line in the sand in the past few decades? My breed only came into existance ~150 years ago and became recognised as a breed within this lifetime.

But... if its not a fashionable cross for $$$ why give it a cross of two breeds names. The whole labradoodle name came about because the original people WANTED the public to know the dog was a cross between 2 breeds. hehe... why not call it the Curly Coated Eyesight Dog :(