K9 Pro Crates

GoldenGirl85

Ive already got a soft crate for each of my dogs, but they are both a pain in their own ways to set up, Ive been eyeing off the K9 Pro ones for a while now, but Im wondering what people think of them?

Are they easy to set up?

How heavy are they? (I know the website says they are lightweight, but Im a 50kg girl so lightweight to some may not be lightweight to me)

How durable is the mesh? meaning if my dog (JRT) claws at the doors, how strong is it?

I have 2 k9pro soft crates- one for my bloodhound and the other for my kelpie - they are easy to set up and very strong - the hound has scratched at the mesh consistently and there is a small rip in it (which he put in it months ago and it has not become bigger at all) but that is all - I found them light enough to carry but i am bigger than 50kg :laugh: Would def reccomend them :D

Edited by KelpieHoundMum

What sort of joins does the frame have? the one I have for Tess is horrible, it collapses directly down, and the joins are like a ball and socket you have to line up, then a sheath slides over top to hold them together, very fiddly and Ive caught my fingers too many times to count

Monah,

Do you mean the Royale 2 crates from k9+ soft crates?

http://www.k9softdogcrates.com.au/index.php?p=crates

I have one of those here and love it too!! I know a few Rottweiler people who think the quality and construction of them is outstanding!!

GoldenGirl85, I don't know what the k9pro ones are like , having never tried or seen one in real life :D

I would say price wise they are pretty similar considering the k9+soft crate price includes postage to anywhere in australia.

Ours is currently set up in the lounge and the top storage pocket has the land line phone in it :laugh:

Yep Oonga thats the ones I have, in blue... love them and the storage sections are terrific too. :laugh:

ours are also in the lounge room, metal ones in the other room, another use, our cats all love to lay on top of the soft crates on a blankie :D its sort of like laying in a hammock, all cosy!!!

Edited by Monah

Yep Oonga thats the ones I have, in blue... love them and the storage sections are terrific too. :)

ours are also in the lounge room, metal ones in the other room, another use, our cats all love to lay on top of the soft crates on a blankie :) its sort of like laying in a hammock, all cosy!!!

My dOgs know how to unzip them so I noe use metal crates

What sort of joins does the frame have? the one I have for Tess is horrible, it collapses directly down, and the joins are like a ball and socket you have to line up, then a sheath slides over top to hold them together, very fiddly and Ive caught my fingers too many times to count

Ours are exactly the same as the ones in the link - Just went and looked - they have 2 pieces you line up and a sheath over them but the sheath clicks in so can't slip down and catch your fingers. Ours are pretty much set up permanently in the bedroom though but have been used for outside times too :)

Hi GoldenGirl85, I have a large k9pro crate for my GSD.

She had a good go at scratching the mesh when i first got it and made a little tear but they are really durable.

I find mine heaps easy to set up. It is a ball and socket sort of set up, but it slides into place easily and I have never caught my fingers in it. I move mine around a fair bit and find it very light weight, and it only take seconds to set up.

I LOVE this crate and would highly reccomend it, I think they look great too and come with two storage bags. It can open at the front, side and top which i find handy.

I must put in a disclaimer that I havent had a soft crate before this one, so am not able to compare with other crates, but if I needed another crate I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one of these.

I have a k9 royale 2 crate for Zero and it's definitely starting to look worn after about 18 months. He hasn't scratched his way out of it (the mesh has stood up really well) but the corners are starting to come apart and the material has holes in the bottom of it. I don't think i've been very hard on it but I probably have - I use it once, maybe twice a week, at obedience training and Zero just curls up in the back of it and sleeps.

The only realy issues we've had are from when Zero put his weight on one of the sides (the top was open and he put his front paws up on the railing that holds the left side of it up) and he managed to break the slide that locks it in place. It was surprisingly easy to fix when I got in contact with them and ordered the part - it arrived very quickly and they were very helpful.

My next crate will be a k9pro crate - Zero really needs a smaller crate than the one he's got now. 122cms is just ridiculous! His current crate can now become our "inside" crate when I move and i'll just have his name embroidered on the front of the new crate like he has with his current crate :)

I took a chunk out of my finger last weekend setting up one of these...its nearly healed ... OUCH!!!

interesting thread i am looking at getting one for a golden as well, what size is best??

We have one for the leonberger and it is reasonably easy to set up and i can carry it ok... but it was a cheap one and isnt used too often but the goldens one will be used HEAPS so need to be sure i get the right one..i noticed the royale one has no bag u have to buy it seperate? is this the case with all and we were lucky with the one we got??

The K9 Pro crates are good quality and a reasonable price (looks like they're on special too - so tempting LOL).

The K9+ soft crates are also fantastic. The advantage with these is that they have the mesh sides but also a solid roll down flap which can provide a little extra insulation/block out if needed. (I think the newest model may have this on the front opening as well as the sides?). Personally I've found that rolling these down stops my dog from wanting to paw at the mesh too.

I've also got a cheapie from Top Buy which is great. It was only about $50 so I don't feel like I have to be too precious with it. Plus it's HUGE.

It really depends on what you want. If you like the look of the K9 Pro ones give them a go. :)

interesting thread i am looking at getting one for a golden as well, what size is best??

We have one for the leonberger and it is reasonably easy to set up and i can carry it ok... but it was a cheap one and isnt used too often but the goldens one will be used HEAPS so need to be sure i get the right one..i noticed the royale one has no bag u have to buy it seperate? is this the case with all and we were lucky with the one we got??

Mine came with a free carry bag.

Buy from their Ebay store and you get the bag free :(

It's what I did, and I think it came off slightly cheaper as well which helps when you are buying two :o You can also pick up from their place which saves on postage.

I needed to rebuy new crates about a year ago as they were kept in the shed and became nesting grounds for mice :cheer: I will never buy a different brand of soft crate, they are the best and get used very regulary.....I really do love my Royales :)

Mine are ridiculously oversized because they like to spread out when sleeping.....Darcy is 50cm at the shoulder and he can stand in it without his head touching the roof, so an XL would be the right size for a Goldie

Can't say how well they would stand up to an over zealous big dog scratching at the door, my adults are crate trained and have never tried, Jovi scratches but it's more of a "pay attention to me" scratch.

Reminds me, I need to buy Jovi her own crate as I usually put her in with either of the boys as their crates are that big :)

Edited by tollersowned