Dog That Sit Like Frogs...

Is it bad for them/a sign of bad hips?

I've heard its a sign of good hips or a sign of really, really bad hips (like no hip socket bad).

Can anyone clarify for me?

Does anyone's dog with hip dysplasia sit like a frog?

My dog doesn't really sit like a frog too often but she often stretches her back legs out right behind her (like in the position you would take radiographs for HD!)

Edited by aussielover

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a frog sit?

frogleg-1.jpg

Hoover's just like that on laminate/wooden floors. He seems to be able to sit very nicely on grass and on concrete so I didn't think that there was anything to worry about health-wise... I concede that it looks very inelegant though :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

My puppy lays down with her legs behind her - we call that froggy legs. I was told yesterday it was a sign that her hips were good.

The only way you can tell if she has good hips is if she's xrayed

Oh the stairs :laugh::laugh:

Is this a frog sit?

frogleg-1.jpg

Hoover's just like that on laminate/wooden floors. He seems to be able to sit very nicely on grass and on concrete so I didn't think that there was anything to worry about health-wise... I concede that it looks very inelegant though :laugh:

We call this the frog (sorry about the bad quality, from my phone)

frog.jpg

Peach does it all the time. She even gets off the lounge in 'frog position' front legs hit the floor, then she drags her back legs off, as she stretches into a playbow :laugh:

Is this a frog sit?

frogleg-1.jpg

LOL that is a typical Kelpie Sit :laugh:

My puppy lays down with her legs behind her - we call that froggy legs. I was told yesterday it was a sign that her hips were good.

The only way you can tell if she has good hips is if she's xrayed

Yep, what ish said. I have heard the "it's a sign of good hips thing" too but don't believe it. A friends dog who had hd would lay frog style.

I'm not sure what "sit like frog" looks like, frog dog has been the laying down with legs like whiskedaway describes. I have seen dogs with both good and bad hips do it. My boy with 1:1 hips never does it.

I wonder if thats an Aussie thing? My boy will walk off the couch with his front legs and rest his back legs stretched out for a while...one of his daughters does it too.

We call this the frog (sorry about the bad quality, from my phone)

frog.jpg

Peach does it all the time. She even gets off the lounge in 'frog position' front legs hit the floor, then she drags her back legs off, as she stretches into a playbow :hug: