Dog That Sit Like Frogs...

My puppy lays down with her legs behind her - we call that froggy legs. I was told yesterday it was a sign that her hips were good.

The only way you can tell if she has good hips is if she's xrayed

Yep, plenty of dyspastic dogs do the 'frog dog' position.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our girls lies with her legs out, we call it a fragle. Someone commented to me one day at a show that her lying like that "is a sign of good hips". I said "ahh, she's actually got mild HD".

The only way you can tell if your dog has good or bad hips is if you xray.

My show girl lies like this all the time... she's getting xray'd in late April.

I have also been told old wives tale, I tend to believe that as i know of dogs who do it with good and bad hips.

Shimmer does it, she has 0:0 hips. She also stretches off the couch and leaves her back legs up there.

Is this a frog sit?

frogleg-1.jpg

Hoover's just like that on laminate/wooden floors. He seems to be able to sit very nicely on grass and on concrete so I didn't think that there was anything to worry about health-wise... I concede that it looks very inelegant though :happydance:

Is Hoover still young? I wouldn't be surprised if he learns to sit like that everywhere. My Ruby grew up on slippery tiled floors and sat like that when her legs would start slipping underneath her to hold her up. Now it's just habit, and sits like that everywhere, including non-slippery surfaces like carpet and grass! Chiro said that her leg muscles (or whatever) were now tight due that habitual sitting position.

I have also been told old wives tale, I tend to believe that as i know of dogs who do it with good and bad hips.

Shimmer does it, she has 0:0 hips. She also stretches off the couch and leaves her back legs up there.

Dollop does that, too. Front off and back legs trailing behind like they don't work.

Dozer, who has 0:0 hips never does :cry:

Both our girls do the frog, Kelpie & Ridgy.....neither have had hips done - but Im kinda leaning towards the wives tail thing!!!!

Our Ridgy also slides off the lounge leaving her back legs on till she stretches them off :cry: She also sits with her back legs right out and underneath her - looks soooo unlady like!!!!!

Love "The Kelpie on The Stair" sit.......so cute!!

Oh the stairs :):thumbsup:
Is this a frog sit?

frogleg-1.jpg

Hoover's just like that on laminate/wooden floors. He seems to be able to sit very nicely on grass and on concrete so I didn't think that there was anything to worry about health-wise... I concede that it looks very inelegant though ;)

haha that last picture reminds me of my boy he puts his butt on the outside armchairs and legs dangle infront to prop his butt up, dirty dog~! we are lucky we can wash them down with disinfectant ahha

my dogs do it on the cold tiles.

My puppy lays down with her legs behind her - we call that froggy legs. I was told yesterday it was a sign that her hips were good.

Well, obviously. However as a four month old pup, she's not going to be xrayed yet. She won't be hip scored until she's an adult. I was only saying what I was told the other day.

Definately an old wives tale !!

So many ppl say it to me when they see the labs sprawled out like frogs - I just chuckle...... my oldest girl has moderate hip dysplasia and has always done it (so its definately NOT a sign of good hips)

My young boy does it and he has 1:1 hips.....another girl does it 3:4 hips

As for the squiffy sit......I do remember someone telling me at dog obedience once that was a sign of bad hips if they sit off to one side. Ummmm.......I dont think so on that one either. My girl that does it has 0:0 hips. I do note that she does not do the frog thing at all though.

Thanks guys! I thought it sounded like an old wives tale! I think it probably has more to do in the flexibility of the ligaments and muscles of the hip, rather than the hip structure itself.

I was also told (by a vet!) that squiffy sitting was a sign of HD, which I think, in combination with other signs like bunny hopping, difficulty jumping etc it probably is, especially if they sit off to one side. I think in the absence of other signs though, it probably just means the dog just likes sitting like that or is lazy lol.

We were always told in obedience and for guide dogs that sitting like that is unacceptable, they should be in a perfectly square sit (I guess coz it looks better?>)

Well, obviously. However as a four month old pup, she's not going to be xrayed yet. She won't be hip scored until she's an adult. I was only saying what I was told the other day.

Its not so obvious if several people are questioning it here! I mentioned xrays because your post didn't explain if you knew 'froggy legs' had nothing to do with good hips or not and wanted to make sure you weren't under any false impressions.

I have one that lays like a frog - always has and no doubt always will. Caused me no end of stress in the beginning - good sign or bad sign? There are people in both camps. As has been said, only way to know for sure is to x-ray. Score on this dog is 5:5 (done at 2 years of age - this is a below breed average score) so I am reasonably happy it is not an issue for him at least.

I wonder if thats an Aussie thing? My boy will walk off the couch with his front legs and rest his back legs stretched out for a while...one of his daughters does it too.
We call this the frog (sorry about the bad quality, from my phone)

Peach does it all the time. She even gets off the lounge in 'frog position' front legs hit the floor, then she drags her back legs off, as she stretches into a playbow :(

My JRT x does this too, and lies down with legs out behind him regularly. He has a terrible puppy sit too, which I am trying to shape out of him.

• 2 months later...

My pup lies flat with her legs out.... I call it her 'planking' pose!

Tibbies can tend to lie like that. One of the puppy pre-school instructors used to call it the starfish pose.

We call this the frog (sorry about the bad quality, from my phone)

frog.jpg

Peach does it all the time. She even gets off the lounge in 'frog position' front legs hit the floor, then she drags her back legs off, as she stretches into a playbow :laugh:

That's because she's copying Big Twinny! :laugh:

It's a common old wives tale, I've been told the same thing several times. All of our lot do it except the Irish.

Lying like a frog means nothing. Lots of dogs do it no matter what their hips are like.

Sitting up with the legs still in the same frog position behind them, means they have no hip joints. Pat Hastings showed photos of a dog like this at her seminar.