Mass Desexing Now, Rspca

pandypam

target: 5000

signature goal: 1,000

signatures: 0

Sorry, I hope the link works.

DESEX NOW.

We in animal rescue are sick and tired of the never ending tide of unwanted/homeless pets.

We smaller groups are sick and tired of doing what the RSPCA should be doing.

The RSPCA is the prime animal welfare org in this country and its their job, in fact they exist to stop animal cruelty, if the killing of over ( well over some say) 250.000 dogs and cats each year isnt cruelty, then what is?.

The quickest way to cut the kill rates is to have a massive desexing program NOW.

With huge public donations each year, why isnt it being done NOW.

This is in no way directed at the many people who do the ground work for the RSPCA.

http://apps.facebook.com/petitions/1/rspca...s-desexing-now/

Edited by pandypam

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

target: 5000

signature goal: 1,000

signatures: 0

Sorry, I hope the link works.

DESEX NOW.

We in animal rescue are sick and tired of the never ending tide of unwanted/homeless pets.

We smaller groups are sick and tired of doing what the RSPCA should be doing.

The RSPCA is the prime animal welfare org in this country and its their job, in fact they exist to stop animal cruelty, if the killing of over ( well over some say) 250.000 dogs and cats each year isnt cruelty, then what is?.

The quickest way to cut the kill rates is to have a massive desexing program NOW.With huge public donations each year, why isnt it being done NOW.

This is in no way directed at the many people who do the ground work for the RSPCA.

http://apps.facebook.com/petitions/1/rspca...s-desexing-now/

Its also the quickest way to ensure that pet dogs will be extinct in the not too distant future.

I wonder which dogs are to be targetted by the requested campaign and how old they will be.

I'm a little bit confused here..

Is the point of this petition to give the RSPCA the power to enforce the desexing of pets?

I'm not sure about other states but down here, nothing gets released from their shelters entire (unless it's being claimed back by owners) so.. this would have zero effect on anything.

It's not that I don't trust the RSPCA (*cough*), I can just see huge potential for problems when deciding what can remain entire and what can't (as far as existing pets and what-have-you).

Edited to clarify something

Re-edited to clarify a bit more.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

What if I don't want to desex my dog, my property ?

x2. My dog, my property and, in consultation with my vet, I want to make those decisions and make them taking into account my individual dogs needs not just process my dog like she is one of a crowd with the same needs as other dogs :p

Who decides who gets desexed? My puppy is shown..not to be desexed until she either shows a lack of interest or she is to old. As far as I am aware, dogs are not adopted from the RSPCA unless they are desexed first. So how does this campaign aimed at the RSPCA work then?

Scary thought that we can told to desex out dog no matter what..wouldnt take long for there to be no dogs in Australia! Maybe thats what they want.

How does mass desexing stop the killing of unwanted animals.

The majority of animals that are surrendered to the pound are there because they did not meet the expectations of the owner (unrealistic or not) or because they are seen as disposable.

If owners researched and chose more suitable animals or accepted that they simply were not in a position to own a pet then there would be less animals destroyed.

Mass desexing does not stop stupidity, ignorance or lack of knowledge.

I am all for desexing of pets. I think what we have to remember is that most of us here on DOL are responsible pet owners and don't allow our pets to breed will nilly because we are educated on being a responsible pet owner..

I think that desexing should be made cheaper for those that can not afford it as for them it is very simple to surrender unwanted kittens and pups to pounds and shelters and I agree that desexing animals would reduce the number of animals being euthanised every year, especially with regards to kittens..

How does mass desexing stop the killing of unwanted animals.

The majority of animals that are surrendered to the pound are there because they did not meet the expectations of the owner (unrealistic or not) or because they are seen as disposable.

If owners researched and chose more suitable animals or accepted that they simply were not in a position to own a pet then there would be less animals destroyed.

Mass desexing does not stop stupidity, ignorance or lack of knowledge.

That might be why most dogs are surrendered but this is not the case for surrendered cats and kittens.. I have two mum cats here and they have 11 kittens between them now if they were not fostered then that would be at least 11 kittens that would have been euthansied and maybe the two mum cats as well.. Multipule that with the amount of kittens and pregnant cats that end up in pounds and shelters every year and you would have thousands and thousands of cats and kittens being euthanised.

I agree with the sentiment behind this and feel there has to be a positive outcome for rescue and a reduction in the number of healthy rehomable animals pts if more animals were desexed. The animals I am talking about are those where the owners can't or wont protect them from breeding and can't or wont responsibly raise and rehome a litter those pets might 'accidentally' have. So if by 'mass desexing' it means taking 'free or very cheap desexing to the masses' then I support it. I'd actually like to see all the camp dogs in remote communities desexed under a program like this. I don't have any stats for animals but if the human life expectancy in these communities is low (which is a fact from health reports) then it is likely to be reflected in the camp dogs stats as well.

I also support a responsible owner determining the age of desexing or whether they even wish to desex. But a responsible owner would probably be able to fund their own desexing and not need a free or cheap program anyway. I know I'd prefer to pay so I can choose the vet who does the surgery.

I don't think a one size fits all approach ever works for any problem and certainly support any org, including the RSPCA educating 'the masses' about responsible pet ownership at its most basic level.

It is worryingly vague.

Are they talking about making desexing more affordable for low income families, e.g. the SPCA giving vouchers for free or cheap desexing to low income owners? That's a good idea.

Or are they more talking about the SPCA somehow making people spay their dogs? I don't like that at all. And I don't think the SPCA should have any more power than they already do.

The petition seems to be asking the RS to dig into their savings and run a large worthwhile desexing program.

Not force anyone to desex, or stop anyone breeding.

They have the funds, they really should be running more advertised voluntary neuter programs especially in the lower socioeconomic areas.