Whats The Best Medicated Dog Wash?

hi, my sisters staffy had a flea allergy which caused her to itch and scratch alot, she has been treated with comfortis so has NO fleas nomore. She also has a cortizone (sp) injection when needed from the vet this stops her scratching but i have heard of medicated shampoos that can help with this sort of skin problem. If anyone out there knows of a great product they can recommend and let me know that would be great :( TIA

I'm waiting for Erny to arrive and recommend her patented herbal mixture (just joking, Erny!) :(

It's also important to make sure the dog is regularly treated for fleas, not only treated when you notice fleas on her, and that you treat the house & bedding as well to get the environmental flea burden as low as you can - if a dog has developed a flea allergy then they can react nastily to just one flea bite.

I'm waiting for Erny to arrive and recommend her patented herbal mixture (just joking, Erny!) :)

Calendula Tea wash !!!!!! Truly ruly :mad.

post-5887-1302239502.jpg

:laugh: at you, Staranais. :(

Edited by Erny

More details erny, I'm about to use my calendula in soap I'm making, so if you know what works well I'll give that a trial run.

Ok - this is what I do :

A clump (equates roughly to one or two tablespoons) of Calendula. Put it in a coffee plunger (see photo). If you don't have a coffee plunger you can put the Calendula in the toe of a stocking and dangle it into a cup or bowl, as you would a tea bag. That's what I used to do, until I had an :) moment recently. The plunger method is a lot easier.

post-5887-1302244129_thumb.jpg - this is one I prepared earlier. In this instance it is not for my dog - it is for me to drink :(, but there is no difference in preparation.

Pour in hot water and allow to infuse until the water is cool. Discard the Calendula and use the tea/broth.

To apply :

Use a flannel, saturated in the stuff, and wet up the coat to the skin, rubbing all over (or applying on areas of skin that are irritated).

At most, I might lightly towel off if my dog is dripping, to save the mess inside the house, but other than that, leave it to dry in.

Alternative (for large areas that need a good soak) :

Fill the bath-tub with 2 inches of water. The water should be hot as it can be (but don't put dog in yet :laugh:).

Get a stocking and cut the toe end off to 'long-sock' length. Put a big clump (my techno terms :mad) - this might equate to a fist full - in the stocking and tie the open end off. Toss it in the bath tub of hot water and leave it bounce in there until the water cools to at least tepid.

Put your dog in the bath tub (put anti-slip mats in for the dog's sake and also to protect the surface of your tub) and use the stocking with the Calendula in it to wet your dog to soaking, just as you would use a sponge. Lightly towel off excess moisture and leave to dry. This latter method I used when my boy was suffering (a) a body full of hives and also when (b) he had inter-digital cysts. I found it easier and better for getting all over and in crevices. It also ensured that he had a thorough soaking. In between times, I just used the 'sponge bath' method.

I would not use Calendula "soap". IMO, the pure Calendula Tea is all you need and adding soap to it isn't necessary nor necessarily good for the skin.

Edited by Erny

I thought you might do something like an infusion. I'm making human calendula soap anyway, but I planned on infusing my oils with it then using it for the soap. I make a plain goats milk soap that is very mild, so my plan is to just use the calendula oil and no fragrance or colours in it. But I can see how your tea method would be good when you just want the solution to stay on and keep it simple.

I thought you might do something like an infusion. I'm making human calendula soap anyway, but I planned on infusing my oils with it then using it for the soap. I make a plain goats milk soap that is very mild, so my plan is to just use the calendula oil and no fragrance or colours in it. But I can see how your tea method would be good when you just want the solution to stay on and keep it simple.

It's not just about keeping it simple - it's about keeping it pure. Soap, no matter how gentle, plays a part in stripping oils from the coat and potentially altering the skin's natural pH balance. I tend to find that more than the infusion itself is not necessary.

Malaseb.. but of course if it's a flea allergy, get rid of the fleas. There's no need for any dog to have fleas and they look miserable if they have an allergy. Hope the dog gets well very soon. :thumbsup: xxx

The medicated shampoos like Malaseb and Pyohex work very well, but should only be used when there is evidence of an infection that requires treatment. In dogs with dry, irritated or flaky (dry skin flakes rather than greasy yeasty crusts) then it would be better to use a soap free shampoo like Aloveen (although there are plenty of others). The recommendations for dogs with atopic type allergies might be slightly different as these dogs can sometimes react to shampoos with plant products in them like oatmeal.

I also would try to keep things simple and avoid most products with essential oils in them unless they are a high quality product. I've seen quite a few nasty skin reactions from cheap / supermarket branded tea tree oil shampoo.

If it is flea allergy- then aloveen or resisoothe or an oatmeal based product could be quite soothing. As rappie said, there is no need for harsher shampoos like malaseb or pyohex unless there is evidence of infection.

I have an atopic dog and our derm recommended aloveen and PAW conditioner. She hasn't had her intradermal testing yet though, so it might change after we get the results of that back

Epi-soothe, and the leave on lotion Resisoothe are good for itchy skin :thanks: We use it for Chloe who has some allergies (not extreme) and can get dry, irritated skin from Cushings disease.

my cousin uses that on his staffy who has bad skin allergies works really well on her coat she looks like a nice clean healthy coat now after hair loss.

My girl has a flea allergy too when bitten, i will use Quitich as a bath which will kill the bacteria if any on her skin as she is a mad chewer when bitten then like betadine to dab it on the areas which are affected then rinse them off after 3 days then re-apply works a treat for her and her she stoped chewing and her coat comes back quickly she doesn't come out looking yellow with her black coat which is a bonus.

Malaseb also another good product :laugh: