How And When Do Your Dogs Go To Bed?

shyfig

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Riley goes to bed when I go to bed, which can be anywhere between 9pm and 1am.

I say "Riley out for a wee", he goes outside, wee's, comes back in and then I put his bed on the floor next to my bed, and he goes to sleep. Then he stays there until I get up, somethings longer as he's lazy :D

My girl sleeps with me. I go to bed fairly late, although I find it's getting earlier and earlier. We go out for a last bedtime pee (the only one that I actually go outside for) but this is because we lock the house up and I don't tend to get up during the night, so I'd like her to not feel the need to go.

If she is tired, you will find her quite content napping away on the floor/big teddy bear or bed depending on the weather/time of year.

Edit - my girl just bounces out of bed when I do, but is also happy to sleep in on the odd occasion. Sometimes she stares at me with eyes that I'm sure are saying, 'let's go back to bed', but dangle the car keys or show her a lead and she quickly decides that she is quite happy to be up.

Edited by Henrietta

Same for us. Our dogs are outside sleepers unless its windy. Or cold. Or hot. .....

Anyway - we tell them "Bedtime", and take them out for a wee, then back in and its "on your bed" and they understand play time is over etc.

No set bed time though - its just whenever we go. Lets face it, they sleep whenever they want anyway!

Carl and Mischa sleep in their beds under my desk while I'm on the computer/studying/whatever, I take them for a wee right before we go to bed anywhere between 10PM and 2AM. Carl sleeps in my bed, Mischa has her pick of the 3 dog beds in my room. :D Occasionally, when it's cold, she sleeps in the bed with me and Carlie. If I pick her up and put her in there she'll stay all night but she rarely asks to!

Both are happy to sleep in as long as I do. Sometimes until 10AM. We have a noisy family coming and going constantly so I think I got lucky there... But the minute I'm rousing, Carl knows and is bolt awake. He'll hop off the bed, stretch, play with his teddy and then get back into bed if that hasn't gotten me up. :laugh: Miss Mischa stays under the blankets until I'm physically out of the bed.

Edited by halfthewords

Riley goes to bed when I go to bed, which can be anywhere between 9pm and 1am.

I say "Riley out for a wee", he goes outside, wee's, comes back in and then I put his bed on the floor next to my bed, and he goes to sleep. Then he stays there until I get up, somethings longer as he's lazy :D

Same for my dogs. They tend to crash out after I feed them around 8-9pm but sleep wherever I am. They don't settle into their beds in my room until whenever I go to bed and they usually get up when I do unless it is really early, then they just stay in bed. :laugh: If it is hot they tend to move around the house during the night and sleep wherever they are most comfortable so the floor or the lounge in front of the air con if it is really hot.

Holly sleeps on my bed and goes to sleep whenever I do. She goes to the toilet before we go to sleep and she wakes me up in the middle of the night if she needs to go to the toilet again. She usual holds until I wake up.

After tea she'll sleep either where we are or go upstairs herself if we stay up too late. Other times she'll stay downstairs (she has beds in both places) - if a bit sore shes more likely to stay downstairs.

And she'll wait til we get up unless we sleep in and then she'll come and tell me she wants to go outside.

As a shift worker I find Sparkles will sleep when I do, she lets me sleep during the day and will often find something to do or sleep elsewhere once I have gone to sleep.

When I am at home on days off she usually takes herself to bed around 7.30 pm I will get up any time of the night to let her go out to the toilet when she wants then go straight back to bed and sleep.

Sparkles sleeps on or in my bed depending on how cold it is and can also go to any other furniture in the house that she wants to. During the day if I am sleeping she can also go outside in the back garden as I leave the door open for her to go in and out as she pleases.

My dogs go to bed about 30 minutes before I do (usually around 12:30). I take puppy out to pee, then get his special crate treat out and he runs ahead of me to his crate in our bedroom. After he is put away I usually do stuff on the computer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, and my adult dog is free to come and snooze on the floor with me, which she used to do, but lately she has been putting herself to bed on her dog bed in the bedroom and is asleep by the time I go to bed.

They then sleep quietly until I get up around 9:30-10 (I work from home). They don't make a sound all night, and sleep until they are woken up. My adult dog sometimes joins me on the bed for a cuddle in the morning before we get up.

So they sleep about 8-9 hours during the night, and also snooze a bit during the day while I work.

Edited by fuzzy82

Mine all tend to crash after dinner- they have their day sleeping spots, and when its time to sleep they go to their night sleeping spots.

Occasionally they get grumpy and bash on the bedroom door when they think i have been up to late!!

My dogs often take themselves off to sleep when they want to. But their offical bedtime is the same as mine. I take them outside for wees and then tell them "off to bed" and they both head to my room and settle in their beds. Generally I don't hear from them again until morning!

They say . . . and I'd love to see some scientific study behind it . . . the average dog sleeps 14 hours a day. Mine zone out when nothing is going on. . . no particular pattern. One comes to bed with me when I go to bed. The other, having fallen asleep on the sofa at five or six pm, joins us in the bed some time later. Both would love to get up at 3 am if I wanted to. Mostly, I wait till 4 or 5 am. They are always eager for wake-up cuddles, and in the course of getting cuddled, someone usually manages to tromp on my bladder if it's full.

Edited by sandgrubber

They say . . . and I'd love to see some scientific study behind it . . . the average dog sleeps 14 hours a day. Mine zone out when nothing is going on. . . no particular pattern. One comes to bed with me when I go to bed. The other, having fallen asleep on the sofa at five or six pm, joins us in the bed some time later. Both would love to get up at 3 am if I wanted to. Mostly, I wait till 4 or 5 am. They are always eager for wake-up cuddles, and in the course of getting cuddled, someone usually manages to tromp on my bladder if it's full.

Really, 14hrs they say!! Mine don't go to bed as such as they are always in bed. I would say they sleep for 20hrs a day. I am a shift worker so they sleep in my bed when I sleep but the rest of the time they are asleep on the couch, in a dog bed or in my bed. We have a dog door so there is no getting up to go out.

The dogs that sleep in crates go to bed about 9ish and get up at 5.30-6. The last toilet stop is a couple of minutes before they are rugged and put to bed.

Sessy does as Sessy pleases. She sleeps where she wants ( lounge, her bed, my bed ). She's usually asleep on the lounge by 7.30, gets kicked out for a toilet stop around 8.30 and then follows someone to bed most nights.

Mine have run of house so do what they like, sometimes they will sit up with me, sometimes they put themselves to bed, sometimes I go to bed and they are still up - Kaos often plays with her toys during the night

No set toilet time, they just let me know when they want to go out

This morning, Kaos got up about 2 hours ago and has been playing, Atlas is still hidden under a pile of blankets and does not look like he will be moving for some time!

Edited by Teebs

9 pm is mine and raz's bed time, he does go to sleep before that though in the tv room with me (cept now when he is still playing with willow) he will try to get me to bed sooner if i get off the couch :o i say beddy bise and raz walks to the bedroom door and waits for me to open it, he then has a cuddle on the bed till OH comes in then he sleeps on the floor in his bed until sometime after midnight when he gets invited bak up :o

as for willow i take her out to pee at 9 and pop her in her crate where she sleeps all night cept for a few pee breaks

Wow Orbit really is a grandpa!! He generally puts himself to bed around the 630-730pm mark (and quite often when Prime Possum says it's time :o ). But then he's up at 6am every day for breakfast before we go to work. Weekends he still gets up at 6am but will often go back to bed after breaky and stay there till around 10am. I guess he does sleep a fair bit!

My two sleep on their bed in the lounge in the evenings if we are watching telly, or put themselves into the open crate if I am working or surfing DOL (their crate is under the desk). So they stick close to me snoozing either way.

Then at around 9pm I offer them a last pee break and off to bed in the crate.

I get them up again around 8 am. In warm weather maybe earlier and they will be keen to greet the day. In cold weather they need to be dragged out of bed.