Grammar Matters

Shakti

Haven't read the replies but... :laugh: if they like kids with personalities, they would adore mine!

I'm terrible with grammar and with spelling when typing, as my brain exceeds my finger speed ROFL. I have a writers brain where upon what I think right at that moment all needs to be spat out right that second, often with disastrous results towards my spelling, and I hate having to re-read what I write, Jackie French is my idol! Her original book came to the publishers and one person took it out saw all the spelling mistakes and the e's put in by hand (her wombat destroyed the e key) and went to read it out to the office thinking it would be hilarious, next thing everyone in the office is gripped by the book, in 15 years shes written over 100 books, plus columns, articles etc, and all because she can't slow down her typing/reading. Brilliant inspiring woman!

But yeah, I must admit when I see ads with either grammar errors or people saying "coms wif a supa suppli" I stop reading lol.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry missed that post, was in the stationary cupboard...lol

At least you can be assured that it stayed in one place

Grammar errors make me laugh but outright stupid comments in dog ads just leave me :(

I have seen an ad for my breed and they think they are located 1 hour East of Brisbane :) I hope their dogs can swim.

Another one strives to breed "highly strung" dogs. :) Why would anyone want a dog from them?

Oh dear. :cry:

I saw an ad in the paper a few weeks back, advertising "Blue Healers". I wonder what their healing capabilities were? Physiotherapy? Naturopathy? Massage? :)

hmmmm - maybe related to the puppies I saw advertised on a poster at the local shops - Maltese/ SHIATSUcross ;)

As a self-confessed grammar Nazi, one of my deepest hates is people not knowing the difference between LESS and FEWER

Lol I know the feeling, for me its advice and advise, Ive lost count of the number of times Ive seen a thread titled "Advise needed on ..........." at one point there was so many, I felt like making my own thread similar to this regarding the differences between the words advice and advise

We tried that once, it put a lot of noses out of joint :(

Lol I know the feeling, for me its advice and advise, Ive lost count of the number of times Ive seen a thread titled "Advise needed on ..........." at one point there was so many, I felt like making my own thread similar to this regarding the differences between the words advice and advise

We tried that once, it put a lot of noses out of joint :)

I got WARNED for suggesting that someone use spellcheck :thumbsup:

Grammar errors make me laugh but outright stupid comments in dog ads just leave me :)

I have seen an ad for my breed and they think they are located 1 hour East of Brisbane :thumbsup: I hope their dogs can swim.

Another one strives to breed "highly strung" dogs. :thumbsup: Why would anyone want a dog from them?

I live an hour east of Brisbane Dancinbcs (by the way you forgot to add the 'g' in your siggie :-D ) check out the Southern Moreton Bay islands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Moreton_Bay_Islands

and we didn't flood in the Brizzie floods either

(and I know that last sentence is grammatically bad bad bad )

I kind of get the bad grammar and spelling.....I hate it but I get it. And I really get autocorrect because I often post from my iPhone.

But the ones I don't get are the people who use words or phrases they have clearly never seen in print, and the resulting posts have me scratching my head trying to work them out.

The two that come to mind are "au fait" which I've seen spelt as offay. And "per se" which I've seen written as persay. And the use of the term "devils advocate" when the person obviously has no idea what a devils advocate is.

Grammar errors make me laugh but outright stupid comments in dog ads just leave me :)

I have seen an ad for my breed and they think they are located 1 hour East of Brisbane :thumbsup: I hope their dogs can swim.

Another one strives to breed "highly strung" dogs. :thumbsup: Why would anyone want a dog from them?

Sorry Dancinbcs, I'm a bit stupid today.....what were they trying to breed?

I assume they meant to say "high drive" but who knows because they want to sell for show, competition and pets. No one needs a high drive pet. It is a new breeder that has achieved zero with the dogs they have so far in any type of competition and the lines they have are not what I would consider high drive anyway. No matter what purpose you need any breed of dog for, a highly strung temperament is highly undesirable.

Thankyou, I don't feel so stupid now...........I just couldn't work that one out

A former Biggest Loser contestant remarked that he was "literally crapping his dacks". I understand that being a contest on that show requires above average humility, but I probably would have kept that to myself.

A former Biggest Loser contestant remarked that he was "literally crapping his dacks". I understand that being a contest on that show requires above average humility, but I probably would have kept that to myself.

:) This post just caused me to have a splurk moment....I need to hastily find something to wipe coffee from my keyboard!

Who needs to learn grammar and spelling these days...Word tells you when you've got it wrong, and it also fixes it!

*disclaimer* I hate poor grammar skills too, its not hard lol

Because spell check doesn't tell you when you've used 'there' instead of 'their', etc.

I hate hearing 'yous' instead of 'you'.

Posts with poor grammar, and, or spelling are harder to read. Personally my grammar is average, but usually my spelling is ok. However a keyboard tends to make a huge difference, how good, my grammar and spelling are. So for all the times my spelling or grammar is woeful I apologise.

However there is nothing worse than an advertisement with poor spelling or grammar. We have a family business and, when we advertise, we have proofs to check before the paper goes to print. The first thing I do is check each word is correct and that the address and phone number are right. Then you make sure it makes sense.

On another note my father in law is not born in Australia. He learnt English as a second language in Europe. When he moved, permanently, to Australia he worked for a government department. His grammar and spelling were the best in that department, and whenever they sent out press releases or policy, he proof read it all for grammatical and spelling errors.

A little OT, but a huge billboard near me was spruiking the virtues of a local gym. In huge writing at the top is written "You're Local Gym just around the Corner"

The same gym sent flyers to my letterbox asking me if I needed to "Loose Weight"

I live an hour east of Brisbane Dancinbcs (by the way you forgot to add the 'g' in your siggie :-D ) check out the Southern Moreton Bay islands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Moreton_Bay_Islands

and we didn't flood in the Brizzie floods either

(and I know that last sentence is grammatically bad bad bad )

Fair enough, except this breeder is not on an island but is actually west of Brisbane.

My siggie is the first 6 letters of my prefix with BCs on the end and there is no "g" in the prefix because it is a combination of parts of names, nothing to do with dancing anyway. :laugh:

A little OT, but a huge billboard near me was spruiking the virtues of a local gym. In huge writing at the top is written "You're Local Gym just around the Corner"

The same gym sent flyers to my letterbox asking me if I needed to "Loose Weight"

The 'Lose' and 'Loose' error is the one that irks me the most!!