Grammar Matters

Shakti

Yep, especially 'journalists' either online, newspaper or newsreaders. Drives me batty!

I'm only 30 and we were hardly taught any grammar at school. Now I think they teach even less, and it's so important.

Bad spelling gets me too!! their and they're etc. grrr

I'm 27 so was part of that same period of school that you would have been where we weren't taught any grammar (I think it was about 10 years worth).

Grammar is a huge part of the curriculum these days and as a teacher I find it so hard to teach grammar to my Year 4 class because I was never taught it myself. I have actually had to ask the kids the answer multiple times because they understand it better than I do.

When I was training to become a teacher I was really struggling to get my head around what on earth a clause was. In the end, my supervising teacher grabbed a bright year 6 child, told her that we were testing her knowledge :thumbsup: and asked her to explain just what the different clauses were. She managed to put it into a simpler language than the grammar books use and I have remembered it ever since.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the above! I also gnash my teeth at the transposing of "brought" and "bought". It's such a simple rule: "brought": past tense of "bring". "Bought": past tense of "buy".

And people who think you make a plural by adding " 's " to a word. eg diary's. lady's. box's. Wrong wrong wrong!!!

I could go on forever so I'd better stop and give someone else a turn! :thumbsup:

Edited by Curlybert

Am so sick of being assured my next consult will be complImentary!!!! I highly doubt that!

It might be - my GP told me I didn't look my age last visit :thumbsup:

My pet peeve at the moment is 'malt'. As in, this dog doesn't malt.

I trip up often, and then read back what I have written and have a compulsion to go back and edit....

But I'm glad I don't live in a colder sack! That would be an awful place to be in a Canberra winter.

Yep, I must admit - Im a bit of a grammar/spelling nazi :rofl:

I hate the term "I seen so-and-so today" ...............no you :laugh: n didnt!!!! You "saw". You may "have seen" though!!!

Oh and another term, "off of" as in get off of me................NO!!!!!!!!!! I almost fell like slapping people who say this (and one of them is my bestie :thumbsup: )

Mind you, I still have the hardest time with two words!!! Know & now! Its not til Ive written them do I see if its wrong or not :thumbsup::confused:

Well, thats my little rant over :laugh:

Grammar errors make me laugh but outright stupid comments in dog ads just leave me :thumbsup:

I have seen an ad for my breed and they think they are located 1 hour East of Brisbane :thumbsup: I hope their dogs can swim.

Another one strives to breed "highly strung" dogs. :confused: Why would anyone want a dog from them?

My big one is "I should of" ie "I should of gone to the shop earlier".... :thumbsup:

I can see where this one comes from though, the correct grammar would be "I should have gone to the shops earlier" but we have shortened it to "I should've" which has then become "I should of"

My big one is "I should of" ie "I should of gone to the shop earlier".... :confused:

I can see where this one comes from though, the correct grammar would be "I should have gone to the shops earlier" but we have shortened it to "I should've" which has then become "I should of"

I know but it still annoys me :thumbsup: 'of' and 'have' are two completely different meanings :thumbsup:

My big one is "I should of" ie "I should of gone to the shop earlier".... :confused:

I know but it still annoys me :thumbsup: 'of' and 'have' are two completely different meanings :thumbsup:

Lol I know the feeling, for me its advice and advise, Ive lost count of the number of times Ive seen a thread titled "Advise needed on ..........." at one point there was so many, I felt like making my own thread similar to this regarding the differences between the words advice and advise

The other one I hate too is when people say 'would of' and 'could of'. It's either would've, could've OR would have, could have. There's no OF involved.

This one irks me a lot!! (note: a lot not alot!!).

I have to say the one on DOL that really really gets my goat is "conformation" vs "confirmation"!!!!! Do people want to conform that the dog confirms or confiorm that the dog conforms!!!!? But it does make for some funny reading some times!! :thumbsup:

You and the other posters who have said they don't like people saying "alot" will LOVE this. :thumbsup:

Hyperbole and a Half, "The Alot"

Yep, especially 'journalists' either online, newspaper or newsreaders. Drives me batty!

I'm only 30 and we were hardly taught any grammar at school. Now I think they teach even less, and it's so important.

Bad spelling gets me too!! their and they're etc. grrr

As well as than instead of then and hes instead of his, your instead of you're (you are). Apostrophes are a totally different matter.

Yes, I am a grammar and spelling pedant.

hahaha - I hate the wrong use of 'to' and 'too'

bink - you got top marks from me for your post.

The other one I hate too is when people say 'would of' and 'could of'. It's either would've, could've OR would have, could have. There's no OF involved.

I know someone who does ALLLLL of these!!!! She is shocking!

Grammar errors make me laugh but outright stupid comments in dog ads just leave me :thumbsup:

I have seen an ad for my breed and they think they are located 1 hour East of Brisbane :thumbsup: I hope their dogs can swim.

Another one strives to breed "highly strung" dogs. :confused: Why would anyone want a dog from them?

Sorry Dancinbcs, I'm a bit stupid today.....what were they trying to breed?

Oh dear. :laugh:

I saw an ad in the paper a few weeks back, advertising "Blue Healers". I wonder what their healing capabilities were? Physiotherapy? Naturopathy? Massage? :laugh:

Grammar errors make me laugh but outright stupid comments in dog ads just leave me :laugh:

I have seen an ad for my breed and they think they are located 1 hour East of Brisbane :laugh: I hope their dogs can swim.

Another one strives to breed "highly strung" dogs. :eek: Why would anyone want a dog from them?

Sorry Dancinbcs, I'm a bit stupid today.....what were they trying to breed?

I assume they meant to say "high drive" but who knows because they want to sell for show, competition and pets. No one needs a high drive pet. It is a new breeder that has achieved zero with the dogs they have so far in any type of competition and the lines they have are not what I would consider high drive anyway. No matter what purpose you need any breed of dog for, a highly strung temperament is highly undesirable.

This one irks me a lot!! (note: a lot not alot!!).

I am so guilty of this :laugh::rofl::rofl:

I know I do it and I just can't seem to stoppppppppppppppp :cry::cry::laugh::laugh:

Admitting you have a problem is the first step!!!!!

:eek: