Would You Be Annoyed?

tommygirl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put in a written complaint so it is on record. Email is good for that. And yeah, get a photo of it.

Yes these things can happen, especially with an active gorgeous 7 month old bully. BUT, no matter how it occurred, even if the Bully did it to itself, it should have been noticed. I would expect a call - "Hi, just letting you know that on our routine mid morning check on the dogs, unfortunately your little Bully has been found to have got a hold of some xxx/yyy and ripped her face in a few places. The injuries are not serious, but we'd like to bath them in antiseptic so there is no infection. We have moved her and her brothers/sisters to a different pen where there is no wire....."

It should have been noticed and it should have been reported,it should have been written up and you should have been called or had everything ready to explain upon your arrival.

I have never left dogs at a boarding place. I've been lucky, my son still lives at home so he can look after the dogs, but usually hubby and I plan holidays where we can take the girls with us. I have left cats for boarding though - like when I move house, and I can guarantee the place I leave my cats at is brilliant.

I'm so sorry this has happened. I hope she heals well so you can still show her as you had wanted to.

I would put in a written complaint so it is on record. Email is good for that. And yeah, get a photo of it.

Yes these things can happen, especially with an active gorgeous 7 month old bully. BUT, no matter how it occurred, even if the Bully did it to itself, it should have been noticed. I would expect a call - "Hi, just letting you know that on our routine mid morning check on the dogs, unfortunately your little Bully has been found to have got a hold of some xxx/yyy and ripped her face in a few places. The injuries are not serious, but we'd like to bath them in antiseptic so there is no infection. We have moved her and her brothers/sisters to a different pen where there is no wire....."

It should have been noticed and it should have been reported,it should have been written up and you should have been called or had everything ready to explain upon your arrival.

I have never left dogs at a boarding place. I've been lucky, my son still lives at home so he can look after the dogs, but usually hubby and I plan holidays where we can take the girls with us. I have left cats for boarding though - like when I move house, and I can guarantee the place I leave my cats at is brilliant.

I'm so sorry this has happened. I hope she heals well so you can still show her as you had wanted to.

If only that simple most clients don,t turn there phones on,don,t return your call until a few days latter,there emergency contact number has no clue or you get abused for phoning about something so silly or they don't want to now .

Sent off an email, just explaining my disapointment in how it was all handled. I know it could quite likely be her own fault, but to me where they are it seems like it's unlikely from scratching or jumping on a cage etc. I just would like to know so if I ever had to board them again I can know what caused it so it doesn't happen again. Holidays I have always taken them with me, but this past weekend was a work conference and it just wasn't a possibility for them to come along :laugh:. Like someone said scabs would have meant blood they are definitely deep enough there is no doubt about that. I sent it off to manager. Will let you know what I get back. Thanks for advice and some perspective, it's much appreciated.

It isnt that things happen in good kennels, it's that good kennels care enough to notice things like this and to be honest, and to inform the owner. e.g. at pick up time warn and inform you.

Definately complain to the kennel and also let your vet know about your concerns (in case they may have thought to recommend the place). Let anyone you know who has dogs know about your experience in honest terms so they can make an informed decision about using the facility. If a dog had a serious injury would they have noticed?

I'd expect at least an explanation and a history of wat was done once the injury was noticed

E.g.: "We're not sure what happened but we noticed the scratches first thing on Saturday. We checked the dog over and applied betadine, we considered calling the vet, but decided it wasn't serious enough for the vet. We kept a lose eye on her, she wasn't overly distressed, we made sure she wasn't making it worse. We would have called you if there was any sign of an infection/need for a vet/change in behaviour. Hope you understand."

I hope poor pup is on the mend.

i work in a kennels and i would suggest u comlain.. u will get nothing out of it but maybe they will pay closer attention to the dogs in future??

ur pup might have inflicted these injuries on itself or the other dogs may have done it but thats beside the point... we make customers WELL aware that injuries and ilness can occur and sometimes there is little staff can do, however i find it unacceptable that they didnt know about it... meaning it was never treated not even disinfected meaning the wounds could have potentially gotten VERY infected...

complain for sure!!

Absolutely, I would be annoyed - angry more likely!

I agree with the others, take photos and put in a complaint. I'd also mention the attitude of the kennel hands. Not good.

Edited by poochmad

We own a boarding kennel and from the description of the injury i wouldn't have rung the owner. We treat every boarder as we would our own dog or cat, what ever i would do for my own is how our guests are treated including trips to the vet or home treatment depending on the problem.

You leave your fur kids in my care and trust that I will do what is best for them (in our case you actually sign to say that is as you would want it in case I want to take the dog/cat to the vet and can't get hold of the owner, as show dog says due to phone turned off, out of range what ever).

BUT you should expect a full report on how the stay went, what problems occurred etc. We don't just tell the good aspects of a stay. If the dog is a problem boarder eg. Doesn't eat, gets stressed, is destructive we tell the owners that way they know what to expect when they board the dog next time, with us or someone else. I think we explain things to the owners very thoroughly and in a friendly way.

Glad you sent them an email, I am looking forward to the response and really hope for the sake of the good boarding kennels they manage to provide a suitable explanation and redeem themselves a little. We are not all bad :(

I'd be livid too, definitely ring and talk to the manager.

I used to have a bull terrier and when he'd go to his nanny (ex's mum)'s place for a visit she'd sometimes have guinea pigs in a cage. Sometimes when she wasn't looking he'd get out to the cage and run his nose up and down the edge watching the GPs, cutting his nose in the process, lol. They are funny creatures.

Ok, got an email from Manager saying -

I will investiage TODAY.

so I guess I will wait and see.

Dont get me wrong, I totally know what bullies are like with hurting themselves and getting into trouble. I completley understand that it totally could be her fault, hence why Im not getting out of control mad. But its the amount of cuts and scratches that bothers me and that noone could tell me what happened. I just want to be able to avoid it in the future...

Will post when I get a reply.

Was that it? Just that one-liner response? That's a little intense. ;)

Best of luck, hope you find out what happened and that they sort their crap out in the future.

Yep, in italics is what I got back no Hello, or Sign off, just that.... :rofl:

still waiting for something, so will see!

and here i was shocked and horrified when i picked my two up from a kennel, them smelling like polecats, stinking up the car on a looooong trip home after a 10-day stay and us having to get our shit together straight away to get 'em both bathed before they stunk up the house!!!

i hope you get a satisfactory follow up! the email tho might indicate the kennel owner's own disdain that perhaps what happened to your bully wasn't reported to him/her! :) odd, but possible!??!

i don't remember a good boarding kennel story ever being told...

and here i was shocked and horrified when i picked my two up from a kennel, them smelling like polecats, stinking up the car on a looooong trip home after a 10-day stay and us having to get our shit together straight away to get 'em both bathed before they stunk up the house!!!

i hope you get a satisfactory follow up! the email tho might indicate the kennel owner's own disdain that perhaps what happened to your bully wasn't reported to him/her! :rofl: odd, but possible!??!

I will give you one then :(

Yesterday we got home from our honeymoon Frog spent 12 nights at a new kennel we decided to try, she was SO happy to see me (not because the kennels were bad, just because she was happy to see me!)

The last time I left her at a kennel when I picked her up I put her lead on her and she RAN as fast as she could to the car. This time - at the new kennel - I put her lead on her she jumped all over me (did her 'crazy' trick where she jumps up with all 4 feet on me and does a big push and spins off me) said hi to the kennel owners dog, ran to the kennel owner said big happy hi's to her then came back to me, grabbed her deer antler threw it round then chewed on it.

When we walked back up to the house area, the resident pups were let out and Frog played with them, I put her toys in the car and she jumped in but then easily came out again when I told her that we still had to go pay. At the other kennel there was NO WAY I could have gotten her out of the car again, also at the last kennel she did not play with (or chew up) one single toy the entire time she was there which is very unusual for her.

I was so happy that my Froggy was happy when I picked her up :happydance2:

So to anyone in the central west of NSW I highly recommend the dog B&B near Molong.

Probably because people are quicker and seem inclined to spend more energy on a complaint than they might on a compliment. And that's probably because they feel they deserve to be happy - which they are, it's what they are paying for. So why write up about it (unless someone asks for a recommendation)? - that seems to be how it goes.

There are many nice stories about kennels just as there are hundreds of dogs who enjoy their stay and go home tired but happy.

Edited by Erny

:rofl: I have a cat one :happydance2: My two city moggies used to go board at a place which certainly didn't have any luxury .. but where they were happy . The lady bred both devon rex's and wolfhounds!

My two usually were dropped off by her ..and she would open the carrier - whereby both cats would slide out, and smooch all over her , purring happily :( they were always in good condition, and never came home with any illness . :happydance2:

Hi tommygirl,

What disgusts me about the whole ordeal is you noticed instantly the marks on your dogs that were obviously overlooked by staff who supposed to see your pup everyday to feed, walk and toilet her and they noticed nothing? It's not hard to see scratches and scabs on a dog's face especially when they need feeding!

If you don't receive a reply within 7 days from that email...write a formal letter requesting a result of the investigation you were informed at getting from the manager in writing giving 14 days notice...regardless that your pup may have self inflicted herself or not, the fact the staff state they didn't notice is rather appalling to say the least...was there a time she wasn't attended to then for a day? B/c if staff didn't notice then they didn't feed her maybe...!

Just my opinion, if it were me I would handle it all in writing...and not take my dogs back there!