Clipping A Dogs Toe Nails

Alfie02

And if it bleeds you know you've gone too far!

When you're getting used to them it pays to keep a cake of soap or a small bowl of cornflour or stypic pencil handy otherwise the dog will follow you around the house when you're trying to find one of these and leave blood everywhere :thumbsup:

I always make sure the feet are clean i.e. no dirt under the nails before cutting.

I have wanted to know this for ages. Long nails are a pet peeve of mine, I hate seeing their nails sticking out. I always keep my puppy's nails really short, but my poodle x has black nails and is so fidgety when I try to cut them that I always end up not being able to cut as much as I want, plus I am really paranoid about cutting the quick.

My sisters dogs got ridiculously long a while ago, they re all black and she had a couple of bad experiences and was terrified, so lots of training and small trims every few days and we've got them under control now. I got one of those cheap dremel type things which is pretty handy. I clip the nail and then run the other device over it in a few directions so its not sharp.

I always keep my puppy's nails really short, but my poodle x has black nails and is so fidgety when I try to cut them that I always end up not being able to cut as much as I want, plus I am really paranoid about cutting the quick.

Remember that they need nails for grip - no grip & they can ruin their paw pads. For me, the ideal is not touching the floor when standing up, but makes tickety tick sound when walking :) The exception is dew claws - these are cut as short as possible.

Cutting the quick looks worse than it actually is. Yes there's a lot of blood but you can staunch it (styptic). Other than licking the nail, I've never seen a dog behaves differently when the quick's cut accidentally.

I have, an old cocker spaniel of mine used to freak out about having her nails cut, after just one bad experience of the quick being caught (not badly) it took a lot of retraining to get her to allow me to trim her nails (even though it was her breeder who did it to her by accident)

I also trim my dogs nails outside in the sun....that way if they are the slightest bit transparent you can actually see the inside of the nail ;)

Yep and/or shine a torch from the other side of the nail towards you IFYWIM

I also trim my dogs nails outside in the sun....that way if they are the slightest bit transparent you can actually see the inside of the nail ;)

Yep and/or shine a torch from the other side of the nail towards you IFYWIM

I use to do that but I have a dog that fights me every single time I cut his nail now that it's quicker and easier to look/feel under his nail.