Crazy Male When Bitch On Heat

jojo666

large and giant breed bitches can be done earlier then males - I suggest getting her done as soon as she's out of this season.

Meanwhile the only way to deal with the male is to buy everyone ear plugs or send him away to a boarding kennel for at least a week or two. You feel sorry for him boarding but have no qualms giving your dog tranquilisers ... have a good think about that.

Oh and dont go letting your bitch sleep everywhere or despite the fact she finished he will smell it. There is a spray for bitches in heat, it's pretty much only citronella spray which simply masks the scent of the bitch for a bit but you still dont let them in together. Bitch pants are only to prevent her dripping all over the place it wont prevent 1) accidental mating and 2) that lovely hormonal scent that drives your boy nuts.

My older bitch came into head just a few weeks ago and I can tell you it's an absolute pain despite the fact I trained my boys to shut up :vomit: honestly if you're not going to breed at least do the bitch, then do the male when he's mature enough. If you dont want to desex him there's always vasectomies or chemical castration, but remember any time there is a bitch in heat in your area he's proved he's going to be a pain, make sure he cannot rip the fence and escape (males can be VERY tenacious and palings have been known to be ripped away for dogs to escape)

dont ACE the dog thats not fair and wont solve the problem.

Edited by Nekhbet

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just asking a question, that's what these forums are about aren't they? to get/give advice??

No, actually, they're a place for snarky people, particularly those who were, apparently, BORN knowing everything about dogs,so they didn't have to learn from experience, to have a go at newbies :vomit: Just LOVE how everyone is making assumptions here.

I would go with the suggestion some other, HELPFUL, people have put forward - board out the dog or the bitch until the season is finished. I've been in this situation and I know how exhausting it can be - my living room door had huge scratches on it made by my stud dog trying to get to his daughter when she was in season. We were fortunate enough to live next door to a boarding kennel in Yarrambat so we put Sally in there for a couple of weeks - I used to visit her every day & give her a walk, so it worked out well.

Edited by poodlemum

I am just asking a question, that's what these forums are about aren't they? to get/give advice??

No, actually, they're a place for snarky people, particularly those who were, apparently, BORN knowing everything about dogs,so they didn't have to learn from experience, to have a go at newbies :vomit: Just LOVE how everyone is making assumptions here.

yes it's a place to ask questions but you also need to do your own research about certain things which includes reading up about entire dogs and bitches and their possible behaviour before things like a first season crop up. Ideally you would have then had a plan in place to cope with your current problem. It would be nigh on impossible to get either into a kennel now, at least one that was any good. No one is born knowing anything about dogs but you teach yourself and yes that can be by asking questions on a forum but basic knowledge should have been self taught.

Keep one or the other in a crate at all times, whether that is in the same room as each other while you are there, or in a seperate room. Do not leave them in the same room even if crated without you being there as dogs can and do break out of crates, particuarly when the incentive is so great. Also be aware that the bitch may well want him as much as he wants her. It's not just the male you have to be aware of.

Ask your breeder if it is at all possible for her to take one, mind you if a puppy buyer asked me my answer would most likely be no as I don't have unlimited space and have my other dogs and cats to think of.

I would not be leaving her in the backyard unsupervised (as you've said you're doing) unless you have extremely high fences and even then, that's no guarantee another entire male will not scale the fence.

Are these used to being seperated for varying time when she is not in season???

If they are always together that will not be helping him at all and adding to his stress.

It may not help right now, but make sure as soon as she is out of season you start getting them used to being apart for periods of time here and there.

Quite often crated side by side can work, they can see each otehr but not get to each other. Don't crate one and leave the other free in the room, they can mate thorugh crates.

Chlorophyll liquid from the pharmacy can help mask her scent a little, but not sure if it would help much if she has alreay been in season for a week.

Are you planning on keeping them both entire or your bitch for the long term? If you are, it may be worth building an escape proof, mating proof dog yard in your back yard. I don't like the idea of just locking them in the house as I have seen more than one bitch go through a window to get to a suitor.

Some males can be a total pain and act like that every time, some can just become clingy and sooky like my boy who walks around permanently looking like someone is telling him off!

Considering she is already in season desexing or chemically sterilizing your male now will have little to no effect on his current behavior.

Chlorophyll now won't have an effect in her either as it should be started 4 weeks prior to when you think she is due to come in to season.

What has worked for me in the past is (I have Bullmastiffs and this is based on my boy ) .... Start the male on a calming vitamin B horse paste I use Troy Brand. 1ml per 10 kilos - this is given daily to your male and is started the day she starts to bleed. Get a bottle of Australian Bach Flower Emergency Essence (same as Rescue Remedy but larger bottle and cheaper) give 1/2 a dropper in the mouth to your male every 15 minutes for the first hour then once every hour for the first couple hours - you can the change him to a daily dose of twice a day and if needed you can give him a top up dose during the day.

Your bitch should either be in a secure pen (Ie Bitch box) or in a crate somewhere away from your boy - limit the area she visits when inside so he won't fret. I learned that one the hard way - no sleep for 3 days! It's far too risky having her run in the backyard in unsupervised. Our new neighbors have 12 year old entire cross bred male (not happy). My girl is either in her bitch box or when it's toilet time she is on the lead when she is in season. She is never alone when she is out if her box.

Re early desexing of a large breed like a mastiff - it is better to not desex prior to 12 months of age as it helps ensure correct amount of hormones aiding in proper development of bones, joints and their mental development. If you are not planning on being a registered breeder then I would suggest that you have them desexed one they reach 12 months.

Chlorophyll now won't have an effect in her either as it should be started 4 weeks prior to when you think she is due to come in to season.

I thought it might be too late, but didn't know it was supposed to be started quite that early. Useful info - thank you.

Why would you want a bitch in heat all the time? Desex them! Easy.

Obviously I'm not talking about breeders, but clearly this person is not a breeder.

She might be showing, or planning to but, of course, let's make the assumption that she's either:

a.Stupid

b.Planning to become a BYB

SOOOOO much easier than trying to be helpful :vomit:

I thought it might be too late, but didn't know it was supposed to be started quite that early. Useful info - thank you.

Can't remember if someone told me or I read it some where but using that time frame hasn't failed me.

poodlemum and the other helpful people - thanks so much for being helpful on this thread. There are SO many DOL threads around that are quite anti-desexing these days (in great detail), which is totally fine but it's therefore nice to know about the practical implications of trying to keep a dog entire so that the decision to desex or not desex is made with knowledge of the pros and cons of both scenarios. Every time I read a thread that's discouraging people from desexing, I always wonder if the person being discouraged has the time and resources to be able to own an entire dog. I know I certainly don't :vomit:

If you plan of having entire dogs of both sexes, then the very least an owner can do is research so they know what to expect, in terms of behaviours and seasons.

They should also have facilities that allow them to seperate the dogs. For big strong bull breeds, this means big strong enclosures.

You won't know if you need to keep them within eyesight of each other until the time comes, but quite often this helps to keep the males settled.

You may also need to look at drugging certain males for a couple of days or removing them from the premises and putting them in kennels.

It's too bloody late to ask for advice when the bitch is in and the neighbours are complaining about the noise the dog is making. The breeders of both the dog and bitch should have spoken to the OP about what to expect and also made sure that they have the facilities to own an entires dogs and bitches.

If you plan of having entire dogs of both sexes, then the very least an owner can do is research so they know what to expect, in terms of behaviours and seasons.

They should also have facilities that allow them to seperate the dogs. For big strong bull breeds, this means big strong enclosures.

You won't know if you need to keep them within eyesight of each other until the time comes, but quite often this helps to keep the males settled.

You may also need to look at drugging certain males for a couple of days or removing them from the premises and putting them in kennels.

It's too bloody late to ask for advice when the bitch is in and the neighbours are complaining about the noise the dog is making. The breeders of both the dog and bitch should have spoken to the OP about what to expect and also made sure that they have the facilities to own an entires dogs and bitches.

Well the helpful comments in this thread are still useful. Many people on DOL are criticised for desexing or are discouraged from desexing - I think it's useful to see why having entire dogs can be a pain in the neck, too. It's less frequently discussed than the cons of desexing.

Edited by koalathebear

poodlemum and the other helpful people - thanks so much for being helpful on this thread. There are SO many DOL threads around that are quite anti-desexing these days (in great detail), which is totally fine but it's therefore nice to know about the practical implications of trying to keep a dog entire so that the decision to desex or not desex is made with knowledge of the pros and cons of both scenarios. Every time I read a thread that's discouraging people from desexing, I always wonder if the person being discouraged has the time and resources to be able to own an entire dog. I know I certainly don't :vomit:

I own an entire dog and I feel very confident in saying that there's a HUGE difference between owning one entire dog or 2+ entire dogs of the same gender vs 2 entire dogs of opposite genders. I don't really feel you need a whole lot more in the way of resources and time to own one entire dog - I would say that you need an escape proof yard and to be able to spend a couple of hours with your dog every day + training regardless of whether it's been desexed or not...

But owning a bitch and dog, well, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

No, actually, they're a place for snarky people, particularly those who were, apparently, BORN knowing everything about dogs,so they didn't have to learn from experience, to have a go at newbies :thumbsup: Just LOVE how everyone is making assumptions here.

I would go with the suggestion some other, HELPFUL, people have put forward - board out the dog or the bitch until the season is finished. I've been in this situation and I know how exhausting it can be - my living room door had huge scratches on it made by my stud dog trying to get to his daughter when she was in season. We were fortunate enough to live next door to a boarding kennel in Yarrambat so we put Sally in there for a couple of weeks - I used to visit her every day & give her a walk, so it worked out well.

Some might be, but not all of us are. I have never owned entire dogs or bitches therefore I have never bred a litter and the OP did come on here for advice BUT I can;t understand why she didn't at least have some idea of what was in store. Surely this should have researched before her bitch came into season. It can't be a good thing for either the dog or the bitch involved when natural instincts takeover. I actually feel sorry for the dog in question.

Hey slightly off topic, but when people are saying board the are they meaning at a boarding kennel facility, wouldnt that be awfully unfair on the other dogs there?

Majority of people would send the male not the bitch :thumbsup:

Mmm I wonder when I posted and asked silly questions about bitches in season that I was looked at as being stupid or a future BYB? I researched a little but some questions I couldn't find answers for and asked all the experienced breeders on DOL instead

Edited by tollersowned

A person is not stupid because they maybe didn't think to ask the questions. We all learn from our mistakes. You are only stupid if you make the same mistakes more than once.

It is very easy to be judgemental when you are knowledgable dog savvy person