Info No Longer Required

Guest english.ivy

Guest english.ivy

I'm looking at renting a room on 5 acres that hasn't got a house yard. So I need to make some kind of yard to contain them while I'm at work.

Just wondering what size, approx, would two dogs [belgian shepherd and pointer] need to be comfortably housed? For up to about 9 hours a day. I'm certain they will sleep while I'm at work and they will also receive things to do/eat. They both get along well.

Edited by english.ivy

Petsafe have medium and large runs that can be made pretty quickly and can be taken down again when not needed. You can also buy lids for them.

I saw on ebay the larger one was on auction and was only $180 with a day to go. Hopefully you could pick one up pretty cheap too! :laugh:

I guess the bigger the better, but of course cost comes into it.

My Dobes were in there runs while I was at work, they were seperate but the runs were 5 m X 4 in total including the brick house bit. I would definately go no smaller than that.

Great to hear you have found somewhere to stay :laugh::rofl:

Sounds like youll have enough of your own space to enjoy too! We are on 5 acres, with no house yard as yet (although that is in planning stages) but we have two paddocks and a dog run.....Our dog run is about 3m X 6m with a covered in end where their kennels sit. This isnt closed in, but covered on both sides, the end and roof.....It opens out into our smallest paddock so they have a bigger run also :eek:

I reckon youd get away with one of the larger prefabricated dog runs that are available, and add kennels and maybe shadecloth as well.....

You should be able to find enclosures at BP&G, Im sure Ive seen them there...Probably other places too like City Farmers..

Goodluck!

Guest english.ivy
Are you near Perth as this looks great?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Dog-cat-run-pen-enc...=item2c5c3eee4c

Damn, that looks awesome. I don't have that amount of spare cash :D

Think I might just make a fenced area out of fencing material and star pickets. The runs are too expensive, unless a cheap one or aviary pops up.

eta - now I have an idea on size wise.

Edited by english.ivy

DIY fencing , unless you are very expereinced at it, usually ends in dogs escaping.

If you are going to leave them in a run, it's best that they are left on concrete or it has a concrete footing. Dogs easily dig and push under DIY fencing, or they simply put pressure on it , if it's not strained properly and walk through it.

You would need to extra long star pickets and either a double height dog mesh or cyclone mesh, both of which will need to be strained. By the time you buy all of the gear, a gate and do it properly, you may as well have purchased a run.

Think I might just make a fenced area out of fencing material and star pickets. The runs are too expensive, unless a cheap one or aviary pops up.

What about a containment system? Although without an existing fence I dont know if I would rely on it. I agree with RSG, I woudnt rely on star pickets home made fence either. It's just not worth the risk and having large dogs they might go stock chasing which is the end of your dogs.

Guest english.ivy

What about a containment system? Although without an existing fence I dont know if I would rely on it. I agree with RSG, I woudnt rely on star pickets home made fence either. It's just not worth the risk and having large dogs they might go stock chasing which is the end of your dogs.

No stock to chase.

Guest english.ivy
Fair enough - but they still might go looking for trouble, which is my point.

Yeah I know and thanks :cheer: I'm having second thoughts about renting the place on 5 acres. I would really prefer to just move somewhere with a backyard. It's too much to take on making a fully secure yard.

We have a fence between our house yard and paddock made from star pickets, dog wire and tent pegs (to hold it into the ground). It wasn't expensive to erect and it didn't take long. The original fence there was similar but had loosened up a fair bit with time and the dogs knocked it over. Rather than replace it, my husband built the new one butted up to it then tied the two lots of wire fencing together, which served to make it very strong.

The hard part for one person would being able to pull it tight enough so that it doesn't sag. Do you have someone who can help you?

Pool fencing works well and you can often get it cheap second hand. If you can attach it to the house you only have to worry about 3 sides.

Yeah I know and thanks :cheer: I'm having second thoughts about renting the place on 5 acres. I would really prefer to just move somewhere with a backyard. It's too much to take on making a fully secure yard.

Pool fencing works well and you can often get it cheap second hand. If you can attach it to the house you only have to worry about 3 sides.

Good idea Bedazzled!!! Bunnings and Stratco usually have it quite cheap, about $90 for a panel which is almost 2m long!!!

And it supports itself - no sagging like mesh.

DIY fencing , unless you are very expereinced at it, usually ends in dogs escaping.

If you are going to leave them in a run, it's best that they are left on concrete or it has a concrete footing. Dogs easily dig and push under DIY fencing, or they simply put pressure on it , if it's not strained properly and walk through it.

You would need to extra long star pickets and either a double height dog mesh or cyclone mesh, both of which will need to be strained. By the time you buy all of the gear, a gate and do it properly, you may as well have purchased a run.

Not if you use mesh panels, they are cheaper than pool fencing and very sturdy, I have 6' star pickets a foot into the ground and they aren't going anywhere. We had a mini cyclone go through in summer that flattened sheds and my fence didn't budge.

Not if you use mesh panels, they are cheaper than pool fencing and very sturdy, I have 6' star pickets a foot into the ground and they aren't going anywhere. We had a mini cyclone go through in summer that flattened sheds and my fence didn't budge.

Hmmmm, you have me interested now WnH!!! What sort of mesh panels are they???? Where are they available from? Would they be suitable for making pens for pet sheep or soft animals that dont push?? Im looking for ideas to create some pens for sheep and llamas for possible containment when sick etc..... :cheer: