Dog In Car With Windows Up

Leelaa17

I was so furious and stood there and looked around for the woman I saw - couldn't see her anywhere.

I was SOOOO p***ed off she left because I was ready to go off.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: :D :D :D :(

You seem to have some anger management issues. Probably a good thing the woman had gone. Likely she would have decked you. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not my intention to put values on other people at all.

Really? I find this somewhat value driven behaviour.

I wrote a note to stick on the car saying she was being irresponsible
In my opinion, a dog should not be left in a car with all the windows up at any time of the year. And i respect that others have a very different view from me.

I don't think you demonstrate respect for others views by writing rude notes to stick on cars.

Edited by poodlefan

Poodlefan is right, if the dogs are not distressed there is no harm, a window that a dog may be able to get a nose out and possibly bite a passerby is much more an offence, under the dog Laws, no offence has been committed until a dog is showing signs of distress, and in all my years or working I have never seen a distressed dog in a car, and I have seen a lot of dogs in cars!

J

Its not what maybe most people ( DOLers) maybe would do but one cannot put their values onto other people!

J

It is not my intention to put values on other people at all. Most of my conversations on here are disagreements because my values are apparently very different to those on here - which is fine.:laugh: i happily and respectfully disagree with a lot of comments on here but i am certainly not trying to put my values on other people.

I also am, respectfully, not a smart a** about it either! I normally just stop replying in these threads because i have tried to get my opinion across and that is all i can do.

In my opinion, a dog should not be left in a car with all the windows up at any time of the year. And i respect that others have a very different view from me.

Thats fine Leelaa but I am replying from the legal side under the Animal Welfare act that one would operate under in my state ( and I assume all are similar) this is the Legal side of it and not a personal value, just wanted to let you know.

J

I was helping my sister move house a couple years back, and we had her two dogs in the ute (in their crates) in the shade with water - and we had just filled the ute and ducked inside to get a drink (literally 3-4mins max) and someone wrote a nasty note and put on our windscreen saying how irresponsible we were etc etc... made us feel like absolute sh*t as they mean the world to us - they were in shade with water! and it was late afternoon and not warm at all...

I know it may have looked bad, but a small dog in a car on a coolish day - and you did say a window was down a little - maybe it had a little waterbowl in there as well?? I know I usually have one on the groud of the car when Lots in there...

Leelaa, I do a lot of driving with dogs in the car, and often solo.

En route, I have to go to some places where I cannot always take the dogs, like toilets. Those cubicles are just not wide enough for me and a few dogs.

So, I have to flout that law that says "Thou must not leave a dog in the car".

I leave the windows down about 2-3cm MAXIMUM. Heat rises, and when it meets a gap at the top of the door, heat escapes. The temp in the car is NOT excessive.

Now, why don't I put those windows down a bit more, so my dog can stick its head out the window?

1. In some breeds, if a dog can get its head out of the window, it can get one shoulder out, then another, and amazingly the rest of the body can follow. Believe it or not, it is true. The last thing anyone wants when they are travelling is to have their dogs loose in a strange town.

2. Idiotic humans can put their body parts through the open window and I do not want them doing that. On one occasion I parked the car under a nice shady tree and looked out of the window of the premises I was in, just minutes later, and here was a long armed youth with his arm fully in my car. Unfortunately, or fortunately for him, the dogs were in their crates and could not take his bluddy arm off! I was enraged and vowed that would be the last time I put the windows down more than 3cm.

3. I share your concern with other humans touching or feeding my dogs, if they had that much access to them. Not all people are kind and sensible dog lovers.

I do not leave the dogs for any length of time and in the hot weather I always have somebody else in the car so we can share the care.

However, in the cooler months, the dogs enjoy the warmth of the sun through the glass.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Coona. Getting a bit chilly up there in the evenings now but the days are lovely.

Souff

Do you know exactly how long the dog was left in the car? If the lady had left by the time you came out to stick the note I'm assuming it was only there for a short while - shorter than you?

I have to agree with PF, Souff and others on this one. Leaving a dog for long periods of time alone in a car with the windows barely open in hot temperatures is one thing - leaving a dog for a short while in cool conditions / shade is another, and the latter is perfectly fine by me, imo. Personally I would have no problems with leaving my dog in the car for longer periods of time during cool weather - especially in winter. A good way to judge is to sit by yourself in the car for about 15 minutes with the windows in the same position you would leave them for your dog - chances are if it feels fine for you, it's fine for your dog.

I would also never leave my windows way too far open - for one, my dog would easily be able to lunge or bark at strangers / other dogs that get too close to the car and that could easily get us in trouble. I'm also sure that my sneaky dog would somehow be able to ninja her way out of the car if her head could fit through the window. And 2, people are idiots who will see a dog in a car and try to stick their hand in to pat them.... no way!!! An invitation to get bitten and my dog PTS as a result.

To be honest if I had left my dog for 15 minutes in my car in cold weather while I quickly popped out to get some food and then come back to find some crazy lady yelling at me saying I was irresponsible.. god would you cop an earful. :laugh:

but i am certainly not trying to put my values on other people.

Really? But it was OK to write out an angry note to stick on someone's car about their dog sitting in the back seat for less time than your own dogs were in your car? OK that makes sense...

I was so furious and stood there and looked around for the woman I saw - couldn't see her anywhere.

I was SOOOO p***ed off she left because I was ready to go off.

:eek::mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad

You seem to have some anger management issues. Probably a good thing the woman had gone. Likely she would have decked you. ;)

Yes issues, :eek::( sick sense of humour can be one of mine, often, funny post really.

well i dont think you should leave dogs in cars at all.

if you are going to the shop take the dog home and leave it there.

there has been things on tv showing even with the windows down a little bit and parked in the shade the car can get over 10 degrees hotter then out side temp.

why risk it the saying is dogs die in hot cars. im kind of shocked that on here with all the holey than i attitududes one of the most dangerous things you can do seems to be ok. :eek:

I'm like you - I leave ALL the windows open enough for the dogs to stick their heads out, but not enough for them to jump out. Hopefully she was only gone a short while and doesn't make a habit of this. Its dangerous - what if something happened, like she fainted and got taken to hospital in an ambulance - her dog would have been left in a car like that for God only know how long!

that's exactly right. I mean it wasn't that hot - but even when its freezing i leave all the windows down. I just couldnt live with myself if something happened.

I'm the kind of person who would smash a window to get a dog (or baby) out of the car if they seemed to be at ALL i distress.

If you see a baby left in a car distressed or not, call the police immediately it is illegal.

well i dont think you should leave dogs in cars at all.if you are going to the shop take the dog home and leave it there.

there has been things on tv showing even with the windows down a little bit and parked in the shade the car can get over 10 degrees hotter then out side temp.

why risk it the saying is dogs die in hot cars. im kind of shocked that on here with all the holey than i attitududes one of the most dangerous things you can do seems to be ok. :(

So how do you travel with dogs? There are hundreds of members here who do hours of travelling most weekends with dogs in cars.

They don't leave dogs in hot cars. They do leave dogs in cars on cooler days.

It wasn't a hot day and the dog in the OP wasn't distressed.

I prefer to keep my outrage dry for the kind of owner action that actually harms dogs :eek:

Where i live i personally wouldnt leave dogs in the car with windows up as it is to humid and hot, the other day i seen a 4wd with an akita in it, the window down enough so he could stick his head out but still he was panting heavily. He had an owner with him so i assume the wife or girlfriend just made a quick stop. :eek:

In the little towns around where I live, people sit in their cars with the windows up reading the paper, on Sunny mornings in winter. They generally have a cup of tea or coffee with them, and sometimes even a dog in the car. You will find them there every sunnyish morning during the colder months. These towns have no natural gas, and at $130 for a bottle of gas, that if you are frugal may last 3-4 weeks, they literally cannot afford to run the gas heating unless they have to. A car can be a lovely warm spot to sit, using the passive heat of the sun, on cool days. On hot days they can be deadly.

It is not my intention to put values on other people at all. Most of my conversations on here are disagreements because my values are apparently very different to those on here - which is fine.:eek:

I think from everything I'm reading that you're posting on here, you're a tad naieve and also trying to hard to get 'noticed' here.

I'd never ever leave the window down a "third". As someone else said, if they can get their head out then the rest of them can soon follow. Not worried about my dog(s) biting anyone (though I acknowledge the point made), but mine would definitely be out in a shot and gone!

And as for you saying anything to me when I returned to my car - that probably wouldnt be a wise thing to do.

Edited by Bull Terr(ific)

I'm like you - I leave ALL the windows open enough for the dogs to stick their heads out, but not enough for them to jump out. Hopefully she was only gone a short while and doesn't make a habit of this. Its dangerous - what if something happened, like she fainted and got taken to hospital in an ambulance - her dog would have been left in a car like that for God only know how long!

that's exactly right. I mean it wasn't that hot - but even when its freezing i leave all the windows down. I just couldnt live with myself if something happened.

I'm the kind of person who would smash a window to get a dog (or baby) out of the car if they seemed to be at ALL i distress.

If you see a baby left in a car distressed or not, call the police immediately it is illegal.

I'd smash a window in this instance, call an ambulance and then worry about the police much later on. The police aren't the priority if you've come across this situation.

I'd smash a window in this instance, call an ambulance and then worry about the police much later on. The police aren't the priority if you've come across this situation.

Agreed.

But an undistressed dog enjoying autumn sunshine in his owners car for a short time on a mild day in Dunedoo (where the max temp for the day was probably less than 18), with the windows opened to let any excess heat out, is a very long way from a baby/child in dire straits.

Children should never be left in cars alone, under any circumstances.

Souff