Concerned About Indies Weight Loss

julzjc

Good News~

Barium meal was fine, more blood tests were fine. So we decided to try bringing another dog into our home, wanted to avoid drugging him unless it was the only option. "Astrid" a 12wk old little terrier cross rescue joined us on Saturday mornng..........

Indie has eaten 4bowls of dog food, lamb neck, lamb roast and dog treats!!!!!!

He started playing fetch again within a few hours of her arriving!!

He slept in his own bed (which he shared with Bon) for the first time since she past away!!!

Completly different dog!

Astrid was rushed into the emergency vet on Sunday afternoon.

SHE HAS PARVOVIRUS!!!

Its touch and go. 50/50 chance of survival at this point. She went downhill so fast, vet said if I hadnt gone with my gut and taken her in (no diahorea or parvo smell) then she wanted have been alive on Monday morning. She went cold and rigid with pure white gums, completly unresponsive to everything that was happening to her.

Hooked up to a drip in isolation so I cant visit her but at the moment she still hasnt had diahorea and is now and then lifting her head. She is a spunky little monkey so we are praying she pulls through this one.

House/yard/everything has been disinfected. Vet said is is likely Indie will get it too but shouldnt affect him too much if any...said to watch out for him going off his food :banghead:. Only time will tell. Indie started howling and carrying on as soon as I came home without her, touch wood he is still eating but he has become a recluse again.

Come on Astrid! I was a bawling mess in the vet clinic, he remembered Bonnie instantly and couldnt stop saying how much he loved her. Emotional is an understatment these past 2days.

ETA~ I AM AN IDIOT! I was going to quarintine her but after full vet check, vacc and as there hasnt been a parvo case in about 3months...plus cuteness factor, I stupidly didnt. I SHOULD KNOW BETTER. I will NEVER do that again!

Lucky she was only allowed in a couple of areas and I know exactly where she was sick/toileted/was lying down so it has been extremly well disinfected.

Edited by julzjc

Astrid was rushed into the emergency vet on Sunday afternoon.

SHE HAS PARVOVIRUS!!!

Its touch and go. 50/50 chance of survival at this point. She went downhill so fast, vet said if I hadnt gone with my gut and taken her in (no diahorea or parvo smell) then she wanted have been alive on Monday morning. She went cold and rigid with pure white gums, completly unresponsive to everything that was happening to her.

Hooked up to a drip in isolation so I cant visit her but at the moment she still hasnt had diahorea and is now and then lifting her head. She is a spunky little monkey so we are praying she pulls through this one.

House/yard/everything has been disinfected. Vet said is is likely Indie will get it too but shouldnt affect him too much if any...said to watch out for him going off his food :banghead:. Only time will tell. Indie started howling and carrying on as soon as I came home without her, touch wood he is still eating but he has become a recluse again.

Come on Astrid! I was a bawling mess in the vet clinic, he remembered Bonnie instantly and couldnt stop saying how much he loved her. Emotional is an understatment these past 2days.

ETA~ I AM AN IDIOT! I was going to quarintine her but after full vet check, vacc and as there hasnt been a parvo case in about 3months...plus cuteness factor, I stupidly didnt. I SHOULD KNOW BETTER. I will NEVER do that again!

Lucky she was only allowed in a couple of areas and I know exactly where she was sick/toileted/was lying down so it has been extremly well disinfected.

first of all - it is fantastic news about Indie eating again - clearly thats what was wrong with him so atleast you know now that it is just sheer loneliness.

and second of all - I am so so so sorry to hear about Astrid, you jusrt arent getting a break are you? Excellent of you to be so proactive to disinfect everything that she went near. I am hoping Indie doesn't get it, but if she does she has a better chance of surviving. I am sending healing vibes to little Astrid and calming vibes to Indie. We are all here for you Julz and are praying/hoping for you and your family + furry family.

let us know how she goes.

Great to hear Indie is eating, so very very sorry about Astrid, you just cannot get a break at the moment.

We are sending get well vibes to little Astrid, puppy cuddles to Indie and a :grouphug: to you and your family.

What a dreadful run of bad luck you are having.

Can I ask where Astrid came from ? Really bad form for the shelter to sell you a dog that obviously hadn't been quarantined to make sure she wasn't infected. They should be footing the vet bill.

What a dreadful run of bad luck you are having.

Can I ask where Astrid came from ? Really bad form for the shelter to sell you a dog that obviously hadn't been quarantined to make sure she wasn't infected. They should be footing the vet bill.

Thankyou everyone for your warm thoughts. Still no change in her this morning. Surely my quota of bad luck is just about up now?

She was straight from the pound that I voluteer at, I take full responsibility for not quarantining her myself. She was 110% healthy and happy when she arrived home. Eating, drinking, playing, exploring. Had been fully vet checked and vaccinated before arriving, no one could have known she was sick. She was only in the pound just on 7days, likely she picked it up before arriving. Totally my own fault for risking Indies health too.

The pound has been fantastic, refunded adoption costs, helped with desinfecting and are trying to talk to the vet clinic she is at. They have also contacted rescues/adopters that have taken dogs that were near her. They have done way more than they should have to help me with her. Her carers are absolutly gutted at what has happend.

Ive told Astrid that she better come out of the vet clinic with her pedigree papers from her rare, best in show winning parents ;) .

Few photos from Saturday....

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Getting sick on Sunday...

8.jpg

Edited by julzjc

She's gorgeous but I don't see a lot of terrier there!! Poodle x maybe.

I hope she's back with you and Indi very soon.

She has a quite short, dense (except for her head), wirey coat.

Noted down as a "terrier cross (maybe cav?)" Ideas guys? She has a long body,stumpty legs and the longest tail!

Her coat looks soft in the photos but its very coarse and wirey.

astrid.jpg

Edited by julzjc

She's gorgeous but I don't see a lot of terrier there!! Poodle x maybe.

I hope she's back with you and Indi very soon.

She has a quite short, dense (except for her head), wirey coat.

Noted down as a "terrier cross (maybe cav?)" Ideas guys? She has a long body,stumpty legs and the longest tail!

Her coat looks soft in the photos but its very coarse and wirey.

astrid.jpg

That's very typical F1 poodle cross coat. If you told me she was a Toy Poodle x Maltese or even Poodle x CKCS, I'd believe you.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Oh my gosh, the photo of them curled up together in Indie's bed brings tears to my eyes big time. Please pull through little girl, your new mummy and big brother need you! xxx