Attention Dog Owners

Evening All,

I would like to let dog owners living around the Parramatta Area,that their is an OUTBREAK of KENNEL COUGH.

You should make sure that your dog is up to date with their vaccinations.

My 2 girls get their C5,which is suppose to protect them again, KENNEL COUGH,PARVOVIRUS,DISTEMPER,but their is NO GUARANTEE, your dog can still pickup these viruses.

I believe my girls pick it up down at our local off the leash park( DAN MAHONY), this is the only place I take them.

Right now both are on antibiotics and Benadryl,but my 12yr old has also been put on Anti-inflammatories to help with her airways,as she is suffering much more than my 2yr old.

Im really not sure how long it takes for them to get rid of Kennel cough,but it seems ages,does anyone know how long a dog can have kennel cough for?????

Can Kennel Cough Kill an older dog???????

Thanks

Was this advice from your vet (i.e. that there is an outbreak)?

My 2 girls get their C5,which is suppose to protect them again, KENNEL COUGH,PARVOVIRUS,DISTEMPER,but their is NO GUARANTEE, your dog can still pickup these viruses.

There are many strains of KC so while the vax may cover some of the strains, it can't cover them all.

I use Homeopathy Remedies for KC & they work in a few days, much better than any vet medications & much cheaper!

I'm so impressed with the Homeopathy I don't use C5 vac's any more :clap:

Was this advice from your vet (i.e. that there is an outbreak)?

There are many strains of KC so while the vax may cover some of the strains, it can't cover them all.

I use Homeopathy Remedies for KC & they work in a few days, much better than any vet medications & much cheaper!

I'm so impressed with the Homeopathy I don't use C5 vac's any more :clap:

So long as you're not using homeopathic treatments instead of vaccinating your young pups for Parvo, I won't argue. :)

Homeopathy works wonders for conditions that tend to improve by themselves anyway. :laugh:

ETA, I also wouldn't personally vaccinate my dog for KC, except that it's required when I board her. To the OP, kennel cough can make a dog feel pretty miserable for a few weeks, but generally resolves by itself, although it can rarely lead to more severe complications, and can be more of an issue in dogs that are already immunocompromised or that have tracheal or lung problems to start with.

Edited by Staranais

Homeopathy works wonders for conditions that tend to improve by themselves anyway. :clap:

ETA, I also wouldn't personally vaccinate my dog for KC, except that it's required when I board her. To the OP, kennel cough can make a dog feel pretty miserable for a few weeks, but generally resolves by itself, although it can rarely lead to severe complications, and can be more of an issue in dogs that are already immunocompromised or that have tracheal or lung problems to start with.

Agree totally, the best thing if our dogs do get KC, they most likely will never get it again.

I did use a homeopathic remedy for the cough called 'Calendula tincture' and it stopped the coughing very quickly.

In my experience, the coughing was only bad for a day or two, after that, it only happened after excercise. So just keep your dog quiet for a week or so, don't worry unless they go off their food.

Be happy that they most likely will never get it again and you don't have to pay the vet for the extra vaccination. It really is only a concern in very young pups or senoir dogs, bit like humans and the flu.

Agree totally, the best thing if our dogs do get KC, they most likely will never get it again.

Really? I didn't know this!

That particular strain maybe...you cant produce antibodies against a virus you haven't been exposed to...

That particular strain maybe...you cant produce antibodies against a virus you haven't been exposed to...

That's why what PAX said intrigues me. If all the strains were all so similar, that it meant that if they've been exposed to it then their body has built up an immune system to it, then why isn't the vax sufficient to cover all strains?

It isn't 100% true. I've known dogs to get kennel cough twice. But I do think it's true that exposure builds resistence. When I lived in Oz I did C3 a lot of the time. And I was quite happy to expose my mob when there was a light strain going around.

In my book KC is a lot like the common cold or flu. Some strains are mildly inconvenient and pass in a few days. Some get the dogs quite sick.

KC is like the flu. The vaccine covers the common strain - not every strain. (according to two of the vets who were interviewed in the paper last week).

The Local Messenger paper for the south west had a big article in it last week about a three fold increase in KC in the area this year - being spread at dog parks, and they believed, the beach.

Three of the vets in the area were all interviewed talking about the huge increase and precautions people should take.

Seems like this year is a bad year for the flu for both dogs and people.

edited to add - the area and local paper is for the south west of Adelaide.

Edited by jr_inoz

This is normally the time for outbreaks.. straight after easter where a lot of dogs are boarded, pick up canine cough and come to local parks to spread it around! We have also had dogs with kennel cough for months so be aware it can last awhile. Some can develop pneumonia but most commonly they do get over it and go back to normal but it is distressing :clap:

There is almost always an outbreak among the show/obedience/agility dogs after Sydney Royal and I have a 10 year old with it now after going for the breed stall on the last day. She is on manuka honey and cough mixture and is starting to improve after just a couple of days. I don't vaccinate for KC and this is the second or third bout of it for this dog over her lifetime so they don't get lifetime immunity but do fight it off easier. The other dog I had with me at the Royal the same day hasn't got any sign of KC. It is rarely very serious, more of a nuisance than anything having to quarantine them for a few weeks.

If it was at Dan Mahoney, then the local flyball or obedience clubs should be told as they use that field for their groups.

KC is a condition that is not only a virus, it is also a bacterial infection. The idea of strains, whilst technically correct, misleads people to think that the dog is being vaccinated against strains and if infected, it must be a different strain.

The fact is that there are numerous bacteria and viruses that make up what we call kc and they all cannot be vaccinated against. Bacteria cannot be vaccinated against at all I don't think.

Therefore, even though you vaccinate your dog against 'kc' the fact that kc is a condition made up of many viruses and bacteria, your dog can still come down with symptoms of kc. They can be affected by kc many times and it can be a different virus and or bacterial infection each time.

Vaccinating your dogs lessens the risk of them contracting kc and being infected with kc may build their immunity as well.

Due to running the rescue one of my boys, Boof, has had kc twice. Both times the symptoms were mild and I chose not to treat. Monte has had it once, again it was very mild.