How Far Would You Travel

Ronda

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a couple fly up from Adelaide to pick up their new puppy from me and then fly home the next day. They wanted to come up and meet me in person and meet the pup's family as well. They will be back in Sydney next week for a holiday and are dropping in to say hello to me and the dogs :heart:

We had a lovely couple fly over from Singapore spend a few days with us prior to puppies born, then came back when puppy was 16wks ( after recovering from desexing) to collect her so they were all on the same flight home :-)

Edited by Owned by Shelties

Our capital city is 750kms away and most of my dogs have come from there so far :heart:

We recently had 2 puppies arrive from Tassie and one from Adelaide to friends of mine, they were flown over without them being seen by their new owners.

I would go wherever in Australia and potentially New Zealand to get the puppy I was after.

Edited by OSoSwift

Flew 30 hours.... :heart:

I coped a whole load of flack when I got my boy from Norway. I was a bit anxious about the trip over due to his age (5 months) and the fact he was denied travel 2 weeks before. Plenty of people wanted to tell me that I could get a dog for free right here in Australia. But I wouldn't swap him now for all the world. Yes I could have bought a car, or gone on a nice luxurious holiday with the money but he's one in a million.

I have driven 2 hours many times to find the one right cat. Down south, up north, out west, inland.....the kitten just had to feel right to me, I knew what I was looking for. And I have done that for 2 cats.

With dogs, I only had to go about 1.5hrs to get my last puppy, and she was perfect.

Depending on the circumstances, I'd go anywhere - but I would expect usually it would not be necessary to drive more then 1-2 hours out of Melbourne. You driving 5 hours? I don't think its crazy at all. :thumbsup:

Our first boy was from my town so no travel,

Second girl was 8 hours there and 8 back, Mum had visited breeder and pups before I went. (over night stay) Took older boy with.

Third girl 2 hours there and back. Took older two dogs and OH

Fouth boy, 4 hours there to visit breeder and pups when 5 weeks old, then 4 hours home. Same to pick him up 3 weeks later, onl y own both times.

Have fun on your road trip, so exciting, I still remember every detail of each one of mine!

As the topic title says, how far would you travel to get a dog/puppy? I am traveling 5 hours to go get a dog and most ppl Ive told think I'm nuts. :thumbsup:

We travel from Albury to Berrima , but I would travel further if I wanted a pup from further north :eek:

I drove from Melbourne to Adelaide for my latest puppy, the drive over was fine as we left early and got there at a decent hour. The drive back we didn't leave till 1pm and had to stop several times so didn't get back till midnight!

I live in Darwin, to bring my wonderful Connor home I travelled to just out of Geelong, Victoria! Thats close to 3700 k's! But he was the puppy I wanted!

Clancy my older boy travelled down with me and we drove!

For the 'right' dog from the 'right' (read committed and caring) breeder I would travel almost unlimited distance, within Australia.

Annie

I drove across 3 states to look at different breeders for my next puppy. For me the 5-14hrs drive there to look at the parents then later to pick up the puppy is small in comparison to the 10+ years you will have your best friend for.