How Far Would You Travel

Ronda

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to go over to Poland when we were organising our import but work ended up getting in the way so I couldn't go ;)

But if/when I look at importing again I would like to go O/S to see the dog myself.

I would travel anywhere to get the right dog.

Kyojin came from Canberra. It was just extremely good timing that we came across him, as he was meant to be going home with someone else, but they pulled out. So because it was very late notice etc, we didn't go and meet him. We had him flown to us 2 or so days after we found out about him. If we had known about him since he was first born etc, we would have had more time/money to arrange to go and visit him. We would have flown though rather than driven.

We travelled 8 hours each way to meet the breeder of Flash, and then the same to pick her up!

Whitney - I travelled 3hrs to pick her up sight unseen (apart from a photo on Dane Rescue) with my Mum, and 3 hours back again with her in the back of the 4WD, wondering what the hell was happening to her world!

It didn't phase me, but living in western QLD for a few years, distance doens't mean much anymore!

I'd travel anywhere in Aus :thumbsup:

Ronda what are you getting??

going to see Joey the whippet X. he is in wagga wagga, entire litter was left at the local pound there. hes currently in foster care.

I had a puppy buyer fly over from NZ and stay with me for a week so that she and her puppy would get to know each other. Also she felt that the puppy would be happier after flying to NZ to have someone he knew at the other end. She lived about 5 hours from the airport in NZ.

To get the right puppy I would go anywhere I could afford to pick the right puppy!

Amazing isn't it.

I know people who'd cross States to see a concert, a musical or a sporting event but don't think the same effort to obtain an animal that will share their lives for years is worth it.

The same people will spend a week overseas on holiday at considerable expense without batting an eyelid but think paying four figures for a dog is a waste of money.

I simply don't get it. :thumbsup:

Have made two separate trips of 14-15hrs each for whippets.

Straight there and straight back. :thumbsup:

Wouldn't bother me how far we had to travel. If the dog we like is far away, then that's how far we will drive to get him/her.

:thumbsup:

The same people will spend a week overseas on holiday at considerable expense without batting an eyelid but think paying four figures for a dog is a waste of money.

I simply don't get it. :thumbsup:

Was debating this with extended family members recently. I think the average cost of a puppy from a reputable registered breeder is extremely good, they said they could never pay more than a few hundred dollars or free even. This is a a new member of your family, your companion for the next 10-15 years, yet they will pay more for a dining table or plasma, or yes, holiday.

:thumbsup:

We were intending on getting a pup from a breeder in Victoria earlier this year but litter didn't eventuate; we were going to drive 11.5 hrs there and back to meet breeder, parents and collect. Yes we could have had the pup flown up, but weighing up a few days out of our lives vs. meeting the breeder face to face, meeting the furry parents of the pup who we'll love and adore and pup not having to fly- there's no question!

And I don't show or breed, furry companions only.