Unfair Stereotypes

Guest HarperGD

I never had any preconceived ideas about poodles because I had a toy poodle as a child and she was the greatest dog ever. Funny, smart, obedient etc. She's the one who made me decide to adopt a poodle x when I got my first dog as an adult last year. (I don't like the show cuts though, I think they look a bit silly).

It's only since I started hanging out with other dog people that I have noticed that poodles don't generally behave well, they seem neurotic and nippy and a bit anti-social, which I was surprised at because it's not compatible with the image I had in my head. But of course it's not a breed thing, it's probably a combination of bad breeding and bad training.

I did have some weird thoughts about JRT's, that they were completely mad and would not sit still and need hours of mental and physical exercise every day. I had promised myself I would never get one, but then a foster carer I contacted about a different puppy (which had already been adopted out) talked me into adopting a JRT x puppy she had. And now I really love the JRT personality. I realise my puppy might be a slightly toned down version of JRTs, but I would be happy to get a purebred JRT in the future.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lost count the number of times people have exclaimed in horror when I say the magic words, "I have a Rottweiler."

Apparently I have a child-killer that will soon unpredictably wake up one morning and decide to maul me. :) Even my mom when she visits tells me that my dog will someday turn vicious and try to eat her. All while Emma is snoring away like a tractor on her bed by the fireplace. :eek:

Sounds like my mum when i said my OH had a rottweiler(passed last year ;)) she goes be careful they are unpredictable.... Mind you he was a complete sook :) She is also the same with GSD's i plan to prove her wrong one day :D.

I have never met a pure bred poodle yet but ive always assumed they would be a great dog :love: havent heard anything bad about them. Guess i need to keep my ears open ;)

Dont you just love people who are educated by other peoples ignorance... Perhaps if they spent time with the actual breed before declaring them.... viscious child killers/stupid/constant barker/crazy/untrainable/dumb etc....etc...etc. The list could go on and on.

Perhaps if more people put in the time and effort to have their breed portrayed in a better light....nahhhhhh people would still be ignorant and believe that if so and so said the sky was green it MUST be true....

This is the TRUE story of the what the Rottweiler actually does, it IS a working breed and a wonderful companion :eek:

I have Afghans, so therefore i come with the natural sterotype... - Afghans arent Dumb

I also live with Standard Poodles... That doesnt help much either... - Poodles are Dumb :eek:

I own a Lowchen too... :love: - Lowchen ate all the energizer batteries :D

Me typing this post so doesnt help :):) ;)

but I dont care I love my dogs and the dogs i live with and thats all that matters

I have 2 Mini Poodles and was throwing the ball at the park for them today when someone stopped to say they have never seen a Poodle run and fetch the ball like my 2 (they were giving the 2 Whippets that joined in a good run for their money). My 2 are definately not lap dogs :eek:

Best advice, don't listen to Joe Public, half of them wouldn't know a dog if it sat on their heads.

Typical response to my breed:

JP: "What sort of dogs to you own?"

Me: "Collies"

JP: "Oh, I know lots of Border Collies, their over the top, nice dogs though."

Me: "Interesting, but I don't own Border Collies."

JP: Silence, punctuated by a look of confusion.

Of course not everyone is like this, but many many are. Either nod, smile politely and change the subject or be prepared for some serious time undertaken in re-educating JP. I alternate on the outcome depending up on my mood and if I think that JP is really worth my time.

Btw, I don't subscribe to BC's be over the top, but if I can't educate them about my own breed, what hope do I have adding another to the list.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

Guest rhy&ge

It happened AGAIN to me last night :'(

I was out with some friends and I told them about our upcoming addition: "A POODLE?! Are you mad?! They're angry, mean dogs. What on Earth are you getting a poodle for?!"

There were 3 of them, they literally all attacked me with that at once and it made me heaps sad. I just want people to be as excited as we are, but so far it's not going so well. If you ask me, they're the only ones who are angry and mean.

Meanwhile, I've decided to start lying to people:

"We're getting a dog soon."

"OMFG what kind?!?!!"

"We're not sure, he's a mix of lots of different breeds and we're getting him from this guy who used to use him for illegal backyard dog fights - he was a champion, but is retired now. He's got a pretty violent past but we're pretty sure we'll be able to rehabilitate him."

:mad Perhaps that reply will suit people better???

Meanwhile, I've decided to start lying to people:

"We're getting a dog soon."

"OMFG what kind?!?!!"

"We're not sure, he's a mix of lots of different breeds and we're getting him from this guy who used to use him for illegal backyard dog fights - he was a champion, but is retired now. He's got a pretty violent past but we're pretty sure we'll be able to rehabilitate him."

:mad Perhaps that reply will suit people better???

Ahhhh see you have decided on getting a Chihuahua now :rofl:

Guest rhy&ge

:laugh: Those little things are terrifying!!

Get this - 2 people now have made this comment at me: "A poodle? No, don't get one of those. Why don't you get one of those cavoodles or bichoodles instead?"

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I've lost count the number of times people have exclaimed in horror when I say the magic words, "I have a Rottweiler."

Apparently I have a child-killer that will soon unpredictably wake up one morning and decide to maul me. :thumbsup: Even my mom when she visits tells me that my dog will someday turn vicious and try to eat her. All while Emma is snoring away like a tractor on her bed by the fireplace. :thumbsup:

Yes, they are "killers"...... of sofas, cushions, stuffed toys, etc

Love the breed :love:

:laugh: Those little things are terrifying!!

Get this - 2 people now have made this comment at me: "A poodle? No, don't get one of those. Why don't you get one of those cavoodles or bichoodles instead?"

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yep because they have no poodle in them what so ever. Are not bred for monetary gain, are from health and temperment tested parents and have hybrid vigour.

Oh my why on earth wouldn't you want one of those instead of a registered poodle who is from an ethical breeder that health tests and breeds only from stable dogs ???????????????????

LOL I hear what you are saying.. when I had jake (pitbull) people would meet him with trepidation as he was a bit battered looking and after being on teh receiving end of some serious bully loving and attention would say something along the lines of " what a gorgeous dog.. are you sure he is a pitbull?" me yep. then "oh well he obviously is not one of those who fight " in reality jake spent the first 6 years of his life being fought by his miserable owner.

When exhibiting my sheep and their maremmas people would often remark that the dogs could not possibly be maremmas... as they were too calm and too big!!!!! sigh...

H

LOL I hear what you are saying.. when I had jake (pitbull) people would meet him with trepidation as he was a bit battered looking and after being on teh receiving end of some serious bully loving and attention would say something along the lines of " what a gorgeous dog.. are you sure he is a pitbull?" me yep. then "oh well he obviously is not one of those who fight " in reality jake spent the first 6 years of his life being fought by his miserable owner.

When exhibiting my sheep and their maremmas people would often remark that the dogs could not possibly be maremmas... as they were too calm and too big!!!!! sigh...

H

:rofl: some people

H

I am pretty lucky so far anyone who has met Phoenix and realised what she is haven't seemed frightened or intimidated and have commented on what a pretty girl she is :) I am sure as she fills out and gets a bit older people may not be so understanding..

I get the, What are your dogs crossed with? They can't be labs, all labs are fat!

And now with the BFs GSD, the look of utter terror when any small dog or child ventures near him.

We where out at a cafe, Riddick the Lab and Ricky the GSD where laying at our feet completely chilled out and the little girl runs over and throws herself on the ground in front of Ricky. Everyone in the surrounding area literally took a breath, waiting for the vicious Shepherd to maul this child. Ricky leaned forward and gave her some really gentle licks on her chin, then went back to sleeping while she patted his head.

Take THAT breed prejudice ;D!