My Long List Of Wanted Breeds

ellazpupz

about a month ago I joined dolforum to get as much info I could on the breed of dog our family wanted. You all warned me that it addictive, I must say I'm hooked!

Since joining this forum we have gone from wanting a Finnish Lapphund (yes it's true, I'm a lappie lover)

To having now 4 main breeds on my wanted dog list.

Lappie

British bulldog

Standard/mini poodle

Pug

Weimaraner

French bulldog

And may be convinced of a daschund too

There they are...;)

My question is, has this happened to you?

And if so what is your next breed of dog on your list?

Which member converted you to their breed?

Edited by ellazpupz

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes this has happened to me too. Currently on my list I have:

Border Collie

Standard Poodle

Australian Shepherd

Depending on the day will depend on what answer you get.

I currently have two non-shedding dogs (and I LOVE that) but really really want a BC at some stage. Yet then I start thinking about the hair and I'm not sure I could cope with it (I'm a slight clean freak).

ETA: Also on the list is a French bulldog or Boston Terrier because they are SO cute, not much grooming required and I may really appreciate not having a dog with such full on exercise requirements.

Edited by kiesha09

I still want the same dogs I've always wanted but the major change on that list was adding Tollers. It was never on the list of dogs that I want to own, but now it has shoved it's way to being on my MUST OWN ONE list. It's even made its way up to the Top 3 dogs, I will own in the future.

The more I hear about them, read about them and research them... I really really want one :rofl:

ETA: But Toller won't be my next breed I own though..

Edited by CW EW

Well my OH converted me to GSD. I had never considered them as a breed I would have but now they are my breed of choice. Incredible dogs - aboslutely love them.

I have a long list of dogs I want... you probably shouldn't have started this thread because a lot of people on here are going to write lists a mile long! lol

purebred maltese

rottie

doberman

dalmatian

shih tzu

bull mastiff

airedale terrier

klee kai

alaskan malamute

belgian shepherd

boxer

and there are more but I can't think right now. lol

Well it was DOL that sold me on the Lappie - I met Tobster's Ella and Sparkycat's Jaana, but I'd say it was meeting Lappiemum's and Janoby's dogs at Adelaide Royal that really sold me. Sold me so much that I got one of the pups from LM's first litter. :laugh:

I've always wanted a Samoyed, and Lyndsay and some obedience people are really starting to sway me towards Aussies, but I think I'll have another lappie before I have any other breed.

Edited by whiskedaway

I used to drive my friends wild with a "dog breed of the week" - and it changed about that frequently. I've got a shelf full of dog breed books as a result.

Eventually I nutted it down to the breed/s I knew I liked and could live with no matter what. I've got no regrets. I still am interested in a lot of different breeds but can't see me getting anything other than poodles or Whippets.

Well it was DOL that sold me on the Lappie - I met Tobster's Ella and Sparkycat's Jaana, but I'd say it was meeting Lappiemum's and Janoby's dogs at Adelaide Royal that really sold me. Sold me so much that I got one of the pups from LM's first litter. :laugh:

I've always wanted a Samoyed, and Lyndsay and some obedience people are really starting to sway me towards Aussies, but I think I'll have another lappie before I have any other breed.

It was lappiemum that also won me over to FL, and 'Bear' too! He may be the sweetest dog I have met!

:p

I used to drive my friends wild with a "dog breed of the week" - and it changed about that frequently. I've got a shelf full of dog breed books as a result.

Eventually I nutted it down to the breed/s I knew I liked and could live with no matter what. I've got no regrets. I still am interested in a lot of different breeds but can't see me getting anything other than poodles or Whippets.

I know quite a few people with poodles and whippets. I wonder what it is about this combination that people like so much.

Perhaps I need to add whippets to my list (just joking!)

ummmm

German Shepherd

Belgian Tervuren

Smooth Collie

Australian Shepherd

Rottweiler

Tibetan Mastiff

Greyhound

Borzoi

Mini daschund

Pomeranian

Labrador

Flat Coated Retriever

and the list goes on haha

BUT dogsrawesome, One day you will have a GSD ;)

It was lappiemum that also won me over to FL, and 'Bear' too! He may be the sweetest dog I have met!

:p

Bear is such a big cuddlebum. :)

The more time you spend with dogs the shorter the list should get. Some of those lists are incredible because the breeds are all so different to live with. You need a breed that suits your life and abilities, so I find it hard to fathom why anyone would want complete opposites in temperament, trainability and looks :confused:

Over the years I have looked carefully at a few different breeds, then discarded each one as a possibility and still have my original three breeds on my list. There may still be a Poodle one day, but I am not fussed on having to worry about clipping and scissoring. Love the breed, just not the grooming. So my next dog will either be yet another Border Collie or eventually a Japanese Spitz which has been my smaller, easier breed of choice for many years.

There are many other breeds that I love to admire but have absolutely no desire to own one.

Edited by dancinbcs

There are so many breeds I covet! DOL was my introduction to Lappies about 3 years ago, but I didn't bite the bullet and actually make enquiries until last year. We have another Lappie on the way in June.

My list of other must-have-at-some-point-in-the-next-30-years goes a bit like:

Bull mastiff

GSD

Belgian Shepherd

Alaskan Malamute

Norwegian Elkhound

Border Collie

Australian Shepherd

Golden Retriever

Newfoundland

I'd love for my next (next) dog to be a big, slobbery one :heart:

The more time you spend with dogs the shorter the list should get. Some of those lists are incredible because the breeds are all so different to live with. You need a breed that suits your life and abilities, so I find it hard to fathom why anyone would want complete opposites in temperament, trainability and looks :confused:

I currently have an Irish Terrier and several Aussies (as well as a Border Terrier and a muttly). The Irish and Aussies are incredibly different to live with, different temperament, trainability and looks. But I love both breeds and certainly will have more of both in the future - they are my two 'main' breeds and my real loves in the dog world, and while there's a few other breeds I would like to own one day I can't see anything replacing the Irish or the Aussies.

If I could only pick one breed it would be the Aussies because they are easier to live with/own/do things with, but I hopefully won't ever have to be in that situation and will have Irish to keep things lively and 'interesting' and to keep me laughing! They certainly not a breed that many people want or would enjoy living with but I just adore them.

As long as they aren't picking based on looks alone and have done their research, I think people can love and want very different breeds quite easily.

My only 'want' is a Mastiff and damn you Kustali for having the CUTEST puppy pics and a litter due soon. :D The only thing stopping me from getting one is that I run a dog rescue and have too many rescue dogs here to give a mastiff pup the time and attention he deserves. :o

Quick everyone, adopt my doggies and then I may be able to have one by the time the puppies are old enough to place. :laugh::thumbsup:

There are a few other breeds that I would like to have at some point, but they would all have to be in addition to an Akita.

• Siberian Husky
  • German Shepherd
  • Norwegian Elkhound
  • Shiba Inu
  • Another Rottweiler
  • And just for something different, a French Bulldog

I used to have only a very small list, but since being on dol it's most certainly grown. :laugh:

The top two are my two favourite breeds my a mile, with BCs being my heart breed. I am dying to own a Borzoi too, eventually. The rest are in no particular order.

Border Collie

Borzoi

Finnish Lapphund

Shetland Sheepdog

Pyrenean Shepherd

Kooikerhondje

Kelpie

Koolie

Whippet

Greyhound

Pharaoh Hound

Italian Greyhound

Boston Terrier

Scottish Deerhound

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Japanese Spitz

:D

I might get there one day.. with the use of the philosopher's stone, perhaps? :laugh:

Oh yeah.

Border Collie

Kelpie

Smooth Collie

Bullmastiff

Borzoi

Greyhound

Pug

Chihuahua

More than likely I'll just have BC's and Kelpies for quite some time.