The Best Kibble...

We talk about the best kibble being one the dog does well on. Well that was shown to me this week. I am a total kibble snob but in desperation tried Supercoat Sensitive for my itchy dog. It worked! And she eats it! As well as being itchy Amber was refusing to eat very much of anything, especially kibble.

I had tried every single other kibble available. She was either refusing to eat it or getting rashes. Eagle Pack Holistic was OK but slight rash still.

Someone on here mentioned a friend feeding the Supercoat which is why I tried it. I tried to find the thread that mentioned it but couldn't. But thanks to that DOLer.

They get 50% raw so I guess the kibble I feed isn't super important. I would have fed her Pal if that would have worked! Canidae gave all 3 of the dogs rashes! So listen to your dog is what I wanted to say. I might feel better feeding a super premium but the dogs didn't appreciate it!!

Jules, the breeder of my dogs uses Supercoat sensitive with fab results. Mine are on Holistic EP because I like it :laugh:

I tried Canidae. What a shocker for us - sore tummies, runny poos and general 'unwell-being'.

My sister also tried it for her dogs and both became very itchy and uncomfortable. She's decided to try Supercoat sensitive in the near future.

One of my GSD girls doesn't tolerate red meat well, she's doing very well on Supercoat Sensitive :thumbsup: Just a pain that you can only buy it in small bags and only at Coles

Wow interesting, I was only looking at this food the other day as I was running low on BH. I ended up with a bag of the yoghurt plus lamb and rice, which absolutely stinks, but my boy loves it. Even over the BH. The only thing that stopped me from buying the supercoat sensitive was the chicken, as in the past he seems to have reacted to chicken. But might give it a go, if his coat condition drops on the Yoghurt plus.

Hope she continues to do well on it.

That bloody bloody dog! Got the second bag of the Supercoat and now she is refusing to eat it. She stayed nice and rash free too. She is eating everything else and appears to be really hungry going by her reaction to other food.

She is in season again which is when the trouble all started last time. Last time she refused to eat anything for about 4 days.

She really doesn't have any spare weight to lose so I don't know whether to tough it out this time or give in and feed her something she will eat.

You are lucky, my dog cannot eat any kibble, i have 1 more to try but im not hopeful as it has oatmel in. We find 100% home prepared works best for our dog

Yep I have one that reacts to all kibble and the other I could feed anything and she'd thrive. Bit like me and the OH actually, he eats anything and everything and is the epitome of health, I can't eat half the food in the world, processed being the worst, LOL. This world is funny.

I'm always told there was a reason I ended up with Boof, something about being sympathetic to his needs.

That bloody bloody dog! Got the second bag of the Supercoat and now she is refusing to eat it. She stayed nice and rash free too. She is eating everything else and appears to be really hungry going by her reaction to other food.

She is in season again which is when the trouble all started last time. Last time she refused to eat anything for about 4 days.

She really doesn't have any spare weight to lose so I don't know whether to tough it out this time or give in and feed her something she will eat.

If I felt she was just being picky and a pest, I would tough it out, but that is me, and then when she decides to eat it I would up the food for a bit to make it up.

She ate the kibble tonight when I mixed it with meat.

How is it going? I think I'm going to try it. I was tossing up between this and Artemis Maximal, but thought I would try the cheaper first.

The Yoghurt plus has made his skin flar up a bit.

The kibble isn't causing any skin problems in any of the dogs. Maybe the poos are a little more but not to an 'omg' extent. I've actually thought they were a little too hard on some of the premium kibbles/bones.

Madam did agree to eat it this morning. The other 2 dogs are scoffing it happily, they are so easy though.

Will need a couple of weeks to see if they drop coat condition. To manage weight I imagine you would need to feed more cups as against Artemis. The 2 older ones needed to drop a bit of weight.

I am still struggling with snob feelings about feeding it!!

This made me laugh. Mine was on Bonnie and I (snob)wanted her on a better one...went to artemis, slowly surely headed in the soft direction (poo)...changed to Natural Balance, did the same and got worse for vet trip...on proplan chicken and rice and proplan sensative atm. Now we are not sure if it's food related or Something more serious like EPI. Perhaps I should revert to cheaper brand again!

Edited by best4koda

The kibble isn't causing any skin problems in any of the dogs. Maybe the poos are a little more but not to an 'omg' extent. I've actually thought they were a little too hard on some of the premium kibbles/bones.

Madam did agree to eat it this morning. The other 2 dogs are scoffing it happily, they are so easy though.

Will need a couple of weeks to see if they drop coat condition. To manage weight I imagine you would need to feed more cups as against Artemis. The 2 older ones needed to drop a bit of weight.

hahaha IKWYM. If someone asked me what I feed I think I would maybe feel embarrassed to say Supercoat, lol. I don't know why, as I'm not normally like that, but it's funny. I guess it's just like they say, the best food is the one your dog does best on.

I have been struggling with kibbles that doesn't cause my boy to itch/rash. BH has probably been the best so far, but his coat still wasn't the best, and he still itched a little, but not badly, which has been thinking it's more of a grain issue than chicken, like we first thought. So thought of trying Grain Free. But I have been a little worried about the really high protein and fat content of the grain free diets. And plus, I have always wanted to try the Supercoat Sensitive. I hope that's a furry mothers intuition, telling me what is best, lol.

But fingers crossed it does the trick. I am going to buy my first bag tomorrow.

BTW in your honest opinion, do you think 42% protein and 22% fat is too high??? I know I would have to feed less, according to the guidelines, I would have to feed approx. only 70gm of the stuff, or only 35gm with half canned. Which might suit by boy as he doesn't normally eat much at all. But do you think it could be bad for his organs etc.?????