Dog Breeding

Jodielass

I am having so much trouble making this decision, have to decide now if i an going to put Jodie's pedigreed puppies on the main or limited register with Dogs Victoria.The main is only for breeding and showing.The limited is still a full pedigree All of Jodie's puppies are sold now and all of the new owners have wanted the puppy for a pet only. It is about $10 more for the main.Please tell me what to do and why.

Edited by Jodielass

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having so much trouble making this decision, have to decide now if i an going to put Jodie's pedigreed puppies on the main or limited register with Dogs Victoria.The main is only for breeding and showing.The limited is still a full pedigree All of Jodie's puppies are sold now and all of the new owners have wanted the puppy for a pet only. It is about $10 more for the main.Please tell me what to do and why.

Limited. IF you don't want them bred and owners don't want to breed then that's all that's required.

I am going to ask a Question and it isnt to inflame anyone or anything, just a question.

If dogs from a breeder are sold as a family pet and on limited register should they also

be desexed prior to going?

I only ask this as nothing stops the "family" breeding the dog with either a different

breed or even the same breed but not as good a quality

I am going to ask a Question and it isnt to inflame anyone or anything, just a question.

If dogs from a breeder are sold as a family pet and on limited register should they also

be desexed prior to going?

I only ask this as nothing stops the "family" breeding the dog with either a different

breed or even the same breed but not as good a quality

You are totally correct.

The only way to stop SOME people breeding is to de sex early.

We all know the pros and cons about early desexing.

But lets face it, it the only sure fired way to stop some people breeding, weather it be intentional or unintentional.

What are your reasons?

Because they aren't going to be bred? That is what limited is for. The dogs can still be show quality, but if they aren't going to be shown and/or bred, there is no reason for them to be on mains. If, at a later stage, the dog turns out to be the best specimen ever etc and you/they want to breed it (with a prefix etc) then you can change it to mains later on.

Bartok, I agree. I think small breed pet puppies should be desexed and large breed pet puppies have vasectomies or tubal ligations, which I have done on my pups, unless the owners request a full spay or neuter. Unfortunately people can be great liars or honestly may not intend to breed but it only takes a thought or a suggestion from someone else to change their mind. I dont have to worry about that now and that is a huge worry taken from my shoulders.

You have all said exactly what i am thinking of doing.

My breeder feels very strongly that i should do the main.She feels the reason why a puppy would put it on the limited was in case there was something wrong.

I suppose i was lucky that she did do the main as i did breed, but i have gone from knowing nothing about breeding to learning as much as i could for 2 years.

What are your reasons?

Because they aren't going to be bred? That is what limited is for. The dogs can still be show quality, but if they aren't going to be shown and/or bred, there is no reason for them to be on mains. If, at a later stage, the dog turns out to be the best specimen ever etc and you/they want to breed it (with a prefix etc) then you can change it to mains later on.

My breeder feels very strongly that i should do the main.She feels the reason why a puppy would put it on the limited was in case there was something wrong.

Find yourself a new mentor. Not everything in a litter is of exceptional quality.

I suppose i was lucky that she did do the main as i did breed, but i have gone from knowing nothing about breeding to learning as much as i could for 2 years.

You obviously did not learn enough if you can't decide between main and limited.

Yes that is what I think exactly.I have asked all the new owners why they want the puppy and they all said as pets not interested in breeding or showing.These puppies would be show quality but if the owners are not interested why pay money for nothing.

Find yourself a new mentor. Not everything in a litter is of exceptional quality.

You obviously did not learn enough if you can't decide between main and limited.

Yes that is what I think exactly.I have asked all the new owners why they want the puppy and they all said as pets not interested in breeding or showing.These puppies would be show quality but if the owners are not interested why pay money for nothing.

What makes you think they are show quality?

This comment is for swayd

You do get personal dont you.Saying- You obviously did not learn enough if you can't decide between main and limited.

I also think limited i was just asking what others thought as it is my breeder that is giving me hard time