Dog Breeding

Jodielass

Yes that is what I think exactly.I have asked all the new owners why they want the puppy and they all said as pets not interested in breeding or showing.These puppies would be show quality but if the owners are not interested why pay money for nothing.

What makes you think they are show quality?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This comment is for swayd

You do get personal dont you.Saying- You obviously did not learn enough if you can't decide between main and limited.

I also think limited i was just asking what others thought as it is my breeder that is giving me hard time

That wasn't personal, I can do much better then that. :D

You breed the litter, it's your choice and only your choice.

I will say it again, get another mentor.

They are pushing you to put a 2.5 week old puppy on main register.

Best time to pick a "show potential" puppy is around 8 weeks of age.

Which puppy are you keeping to show?

In NSW we can place a puppy on main register and also "tick" not for breeding &/or not for export when we fill out the transfer on the back of the certificate.

ETA can you do this in VIC?

Edited by Merrirose

In NSW we can place a puppy on main register and also "tick" not for breeding &/or not for export when we fill out the transfer on the back of the certificate.

ETA can you do this in VIC?

Yes - I did that with a bitch from my last litter, we have since decided not to breed with her.

eta: I put all my pups on limited unless I am keeping them or they are going to a show or breeder home that I know.

Just because a pup has a lovely pedigree from stunning parents does not guarantee that it will be breed worthy. Not all matings go as planned. There is no shame for placing pups on limited registration - I just wish more people did.

Edited by Andisa

I'll give you an example of a lady who sold a pup as a pet on the main register. (No contract requiring desexing ect) She gets a phone call from the VCA around 2 years later. The bitch has been sold on to a Breeder who is wanting to register her in her name. Original owner's name had been whited out that is why the VCA rang. Luckily things were worked out by both breeders.

People's intentions are often good but not always followed through.c

I register all my pups on the limited register unless I know at the time I am keeping one. They can be moved between registers if need be.

I vote limited. and Limited does not mean lesser quality. in my mind it means pet and not to be bred from. I know of many dogs that were on the limited register but turned out to be good specimens to be shown or bred from and were changed tp the main register. Its a simple thing to do and something i think you as a breeder should have control over. What would happen if one of the puppy buyers having bought a main registered pup thats not quite to standard and decides to show it. they have the right to but but the pup might not be a good example of your breeding.

just thought i'd say i'm not a breeder but a new showie, whose dog started on the limit register and is now on the main.

I'll give you an example of a lady who sold a pup as a pet on the main register. (No contract requiring desexing ect) She gets a phone call from the VCA around 2 years later. The bitch has been sold on to a Breeder who is wanting to register her in her name. Original owner's name had been whited out that is why the VCA rang. Luckily things were worked out by both breeders.

People's intentions are often good but not always followed through.c

I register all my pups on the limited register unless I know at the time I am keeping one. They can be moved between registers if need be.

LIKE.

Also some people do NOT have good intentions and these are the ones that often go to great lengths to convince you otherwise, some of the wisest and most thoughtful breeders have been deceived in the past - some of them are giving you the advice now that if the pup is not specifically requested for showing/breeding purposes (in which case you need a mentor relationship) then put it on limited register.

Learn from other people's mistakes.

Good on you for asking.

Also learn to beware kennel blindness - just because a litter is well bred does not automatically mean that every pup in it is show quality.

IMO limited register does not mean pet QUALITY it just means pet OWNERSHIP.

I have a sister who lied to a beagle breeder, assuring her that she would show the pup - who was a lovely example of the breed - and had the absolute BEST temperament I have ever seen on a dog - she had no intentions of anything but having him as a pet and had him desexed asap :mad

Limited registration sounding more to me like being control freak for the breeder. Is no ruling on the kennel club for pets must be limited registration, that ruling what someone make up himself is not the facts for registration. If the dog having major fault disqualify from the show or fault contradicting to the standard is fair enough on the limited registration like we used to have with the longhair Shepherd Dog or the white Shepherd, but is good dog and meet the standard, limited register restricting rights of owning pedigree dog. Is either good dog or faulty dog on my opinion, is good should be main registration and faulty on limited cant having both bites on the cherry to saying is excellent breeding on the limited, my opinion is excellent breeding should be on the mains.

Joe

Limited registration sounding more to me like being control freak for the breeder. Is no ruling on the kennel club for pets must be limited registration, that ruling what someone make up himself is not the facts for registration. If the dog having major fault disqualify from the show or fault contradicting to the standard is fair enough on the limited registration like we used to have with the longhair Shepherd Dog or the white Shepherd, but is good dog and meet the standard, limited register restricting rights of owning pedigree dog. Is either good dog or faulty dog on my opinion, is good should be main registration and faulty on limited cant having both bites on the cherry to saying is excellent breeding on the limited, my opinion is excellent breeding should be on the mains.

Joe

So you're saying that a registered breeder should have no control over what happens with their dogs. Just let anyone breed from them or show a dog that is not a good representation. The dog may be healthy but not ideal for breeding or showing,

You can call them control freaks but these people are trying to protect the quality of purebred dogs, to the benefit of pet owners and breeders/showies alike.

Sometimes hard to tell if it's good or faulty at 8 weeks old, though, Joe. There are plenty of dogs that seem nice enough at 8 weeks old but that go on to develop something like a joint dysplasia or a temperament flaw as they get older. So I agree with breeders putting pups on limited to start with, but changing them back onto main if the dog grows up to be a good representative of the breed. Especially for the more over-bred breeds.

If buyers don't like that, they can always go to another breeder. :)

We have a poodle, I believe she is on the main register, but frankly do not care. She is our pet. She was desexed as we do not intend to breed from her, and did not want the bother of dogs hanging around whilst in season. We are getting a curly coat, I assume he will be on a limited register, we wont show, we will desex and he will be a valued member of our family. All I like papers for is to be assured he is a pure bred CCR. I believe I am typical of most people who want a pedigreed pet. I have chosen my breeds due to breed characteristics that are important to me. That is why I have chosen pedigreed animals. Whether the papers are main or limited does not matter. I am probably a bit atypical in that I know what the difference is, but it is still just proof of the bloodlines.

Limited registration sounding more to me like being control freak for the breeder.

limited register restricting rights of owning pedigree dog.

A breeder has the right to put a dog on whichever register they so choose.

If you're not happy with their terms, you go elsewhere. Simple.

Joe

So you're saying that a registered breeder should have no control over what happens with their dogs. Just let anyone breed from them or show a dog that is not a good representation. The dog may be healthy but not ideal for breeding or showing,

You can call them control freaks but these people are trying to protect the quality of purebred dogs, to the benefit of pet owners and breeders/showies alike.

When they sell the dog, is no longer their dog to make the decisions what happens. When you sell the house, you cant telling new owner what color the front door must be is same thing with the dog and if wanting control of something dont sell it is my thinking? There is good breeders and the ones not having much clue so having the kennel registration and putting two dogs together doesnt meaning they know whats best to call this shot always. I have seen few times in the working dogs very nice male who should be breeding but breeder wont change registration on the dog to main, so this power on the breeder doesnt helping the future of the breed either.

Joe

Joe

When they sell the dog, is no longer their dog to make the decisions what happens. When you sell the house, you cant telling new owner what color the front door must be is same thing with the dog and if wanting control of something dont sell it is my thinking? There is good breeders and the ones not having much clue so having the kennel registration and putting two dogs together doesnt meaning they know whats best to call this shot always. I have seen few times in the working dogs very nice male who should be breeding but breeder wont change registration on the dog to main, so this power on the breeder doesnt helping the future of the breed either.

Joe

Maybe the breeder knows something you don't? Maybe the litter brothers all had an undescended testicle or the hip averages of the rest of litter were way too high ect.

My bitch was purchased on the limited register and up graded when she was older and the breeder was happy with how she had matured.

I didn't specifically buy her to show, but have got back into it, even if only rarely and she is a lovely girl.