Myer Withdraws Dog Fur Clothes Made In China

samoyedman

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/hackles-rise-over-dog-fur-claims-at-myer/story-e6freuy9-1226055012158

DEPARTMENT giant Myer has pulled a line of clothing from its racks after claims the garments contain dog fur.

An investigation by animal welfare group Humane Society International says clothes made in China from dog fur are for sale in major Australian stores.

HSI, which said the retailers included Myer and national chain Wittner Shoes, commissioned tests on vests bought in February when stores were showing their new winter clothes. They claim those tests revealed the clothes, featuring fur labelled as rabbit, were partly made from dog fur.

Myer yesterday confirmed it had withdrawn the items from sale to allow independent testing.

"Myer was very concerned to learn of the possibility of a product in our store containing dog fur," a spokeswoman said.

"The product in question was quickly removed from shelves to allow for independent testing to verify the origin of the fur.

"We are working closely with the Humane Society International and the supplier to understand the content of the garment."

HSI director Verna Simpson said customers were unwittingly wearing clothing made from dog fur.

"We believe people would be horrified to know what they are actually wearing," she said.

"Hundreds of vests have been sold, and they are not cheap at around $300, even though dog is used as a cheap substitute for other animals.

"They are either being used in clothes which are called something else, like rabbit, or they are hidden behind names such as Gae-wolf, Sobaki, Raccoon and Asian Jackal."

Ms Simpson said HSI had used "two top mammalian experts" to test the vests.

However Wittner Shoes CEO Michael Wittner yesterday claimed the allegations were "false and mischievious".

He said leading Australian forensic science expert Dr James Robertson had "found no evidence of dog in our vests."

Mr Wittner said the vests had been the first products they had bought from the supplier.

HSI claimed Wittners had new vests tested, not the original clothes it had had checked.

Ms Simpson said the vests were made in China, where HSI had exposed horrific "dog factories."

"The way the dogs are treated in these factories is horrific," she said.

"We witnessed dogs being skinned while alive, dogs squashed into tiny cages and it's obvious people's beloved pets are being stolen for the trade in their skins.

"We saw dogs with collars with little hearts on the collars and their poor owners must have wondered what happened to their beloved dog."

Ms Simpson said HSI believed Australian Customs needed to more thoroughly investigate fur products entering Australia.

Edited by samoyedman

I'd be concerned about any fur products coming from China, I am sure they are just as cruel to a rabbit, cat or asian jackal as they are to a dog.

Correct. I've seen numerous videos of alive animals being skun. One of the most shocking was a raccoon. And also a dog on a pile (a pile of animals all who had been skun alive) who lifted his head and was looking around. :mad

There was a spate of this sort of substitution in the UK a couple of years ago - just a word of warning it was not just mis-labeling real fur with regard to type, but also using dog fur and labeling it faux fur. I just avoid anything with faux fur at all now. :mad

I'd be concerned about any fur products coming from China, I am sure they are just as cruel to a rabbit, cat or asian jackal as they are to a dog.

Correct. I've seen numerous videos of alive animals being skun. One of the most shocking was a raccoon. And also a dog on a pile (a pile of animals all who had been skun alive) who lifted his head and was looking around. :mad

:cry: :cry: :cry: Oh God I wish I hadn't just read this. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dear Lord that is revolting. :cry::cry:

oh lord ! that is beyond horrific... no sleep for me tonight...

i do not purchase good made in chine for a wide variety of reasons.. this just helps cement my decision. Cruelty to any living creature is not acceptable.

H

So its OK if the products contain rabbit or raccoon, but not dog? How about just not using ANY fur at all? The whole trade is so cruel. You can get lovely faux fur now, I don't see why people must use real fur. :(

Quoting Kirty "So its OK if the products contain rabbit or raccoon, but not dog? How about just not using ANY fur at all? The whole trade is so cruel. You can get lovely faux fur now, I don't see why people must use real fur"

Kirty please be careful because stuff labelled faux fur can be dog and other types of fur as well,as far back as 2007 this was being detected in the UK and US. There is a story on the BBC News website from the 19 June 2007 - I won't post the link because it is very graphic and could be very upsetting if someone clicked inadvertently but it is easy to find on their site if you want to check it out.

Quoting Kirty "So its OK if the products contain rabbit or raccoon, but not dog? How about just not using ANY fur at all? The whole trade is so cruel. You can get lovely faux fur now, I don't see why people must use real fur"

Kirty please be careful because stuff labelled faux fur can be dog and other types of fur as well,as far back as 2007 this was being detected in the UK and US. There is a story on the BBC News website from the 19 June 2007 - I won't post the link because it is very graphic and could be very upsetting if someone clicked inadvertently but it is easy to find on their site if you want to check it out.

Absolutely, just just coz It says faux fur doesn't mean anything, to be safe I don't buy anything with any fur what so ever

I think It's just horrendous to keep doing this when so other many other materials are now available, any one would think humans still live In the dark ages and they need to continue this practice as being a necessity of life :cry:

I wish this post had a disclaimer on it first.

Going to have some great nightmares tonight.

So its OK if the products contain rabbit or raccoon, but not dog? How about just not using ANY fur at all? The whole trade is so cruel. You can get lovely faux fur now, I don't see why people must use real fur. :(

already mentioned, see above, and yes from some other comments it seems not even faux fur really is faux. I suppose that makes it faux faux fur :mad