What Would Be The "right" Thing To Do?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that many people forget that dogs are " dogs ". The don't sit down and sort out their differences over a cup of tea, they don't meet others and then go off and think about if they like the other dog etc.

I totally agree- they all have different personalities like people- some people wouldn't even settle their differences over a cup of tea and would instead resort to shouting, maybe getting a bit physical etc.

A person that was to knife someone or bash them up over a minor issue like someone telling them to back off or piss off clearly needs help- i think the same applies to dog, a dog that reacts very aggressively to a minor incident.

Just gonna add that the original topic of discussion was, do you think the owner of the staffy mix should have stayed and offered to vet fees, or whether due to the husky growling first, they are exempt of that responsibility..

This wasn't about dog parks. This was a question on responsibility.

I'm with Corvus on this one, I think some of you guys need t-shirts....

Just gonna add that the original topic of discussion was, do you think the owner of the staffy mix should have stayed and offered to vet fees, or whether due to the husky growling first, they are exempt of that responsibility..

Have you been able to get an update on the injured GSD ? and just for my 2 cents worth if my dog injured another I would offer to pay the vet bills

Have you been able to get an update on the injured GSD ? and just for my 2 cents worth if my dog injured another I would offer to pay the vet bills

Was a husky, and nope :( Haven't seen him and none of my friends who frequent the park have either. :( Hes a well known guy and so is his dog, so hopefully someone will hear something.

Firstly leashed dog on the law will get the priority over unleashed dog for the responsibility so the dog park both running free for my opinion makes a difference and needing to be taking into account. The Husky start the aggression and Bully dog finish it. Bully dog owner could say the Husky threaten him with the growling and he defend himself is often what starting fights so the Bully owner should be exempt from the responsibility maybe if the Husky didnt growl and posture to the Bully dog, he having no reason to defend himself and fight not happening.

Joe

Bully dog owner could say the Husky threaten him with the growling and he defend himself is often what starting fights so the Bully owner should be exempt from the responsibility maybe if the Husky didnt growl and posture to the Bully dog, he having no reason to defend himself and fight not happening.

Chasing a dog down and delivering multiple presumably uninhibited bites is not what I call "defending". As aussielover suggested, the response of the staffy mix was over the top for a social animal. I don't think such dogs should be in dog parks because they pose a threat to the safety of other dogs. I think that anyone who has a dog that injures another dog no matter what the circumstances should offer to pay the vet bills or at least stick around to see if the other dog is okay. I can maybe understand the owners just wanted to get their dog out of the park as quickly as possible before something else happened. I certainly would if my dog did something like that. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt. For all we know they have been trying to track down the husky's owners now that they have had a chance to collect their wits.

Bully dog owner could say the Husky threaten him with the growling and he defend himself is often what starting fights so the Bully owner should be exempt from the responsibility maybe if the Husky didnt growl and posture to the Bully dog, he having no reason to defend himself and fight not happening.

Chasing a dog down and delivering multiple presumably uninhibited bites is not what I call "defending". As aussielover suggested, the response of the staffy mix was over the top for a social animal. I don't think such dogs should be in dog parks because they pose a threat to the safety of other dogs. I think that anyone who has a dog that injures another dog no matter what the circumstances should offer to pay the vet bills or at least stick around to see if the other dog is okay. I can maybe understand the owners just wanted to get their dog out of the park as quickly as possible before something else happened. I certainly would if my dog did something like that. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt. For all we know they have been trying to track down the husky's owners now that they have had a chance to collect their wits.

Is fair to having your opinion Corvus I am respective for that, but maybe should not have fear aggressive dog in the park too that snarls and growls on the bump? The problem happens in the dog world, one growl and posture the other get in first and finish the job before the growling dog can attack the other. The Bully dog he don't know what the Husky going to do so he sort out the problem. I seeing a few beautiful Schutzhund 3 dogs have a fight at the training, perfect obedience and they wont out or do nothing in the dog fight not listen to the handler and they hang them up on the wheelbarra from back legs the buggers. Is very hard stopping dog fight even with the obedience dog when natural instincts kicking in for fighting other dog and they on the tunnel of vision.

Joe

Complaining about aggressions in off leash dog parks? Stop taking your dogs to the dog park if it bothers you because guess what, it is unreasonable to expect others to be responsible.

Complaining about off leash dogs rushing your dogs while they walk? Stop taking your dogs for a walk if it bothers you because guess what, it is unreasonable to expect others to be responsible.

Complaining about roaming dogs breaking into your backyard and attacking your dogs. Get real. Stop keeping your dogs in the backyard since it is unreasonable to exect other owners to be responsible.

That's where this kind of logic leads.

Seriously, for those who complain about people reporting dog park incidents, imagine how many times the forum users go to the dog parks and how many dog fight topics are started. It won't even be 1%. There are as many topics about dogs getting attacked while on a walk as there are about dog parks. Should people stop walking their dogs? We should all be able to use dog parks and responsibly manage our dogs. And we should also take the responsibility of reporting those who bring in aggressive dogs. Most dogs at the dog parks are good tempered dogs, even if they are not perfectly trained. I don't mind them. My dogs don't mind them. There are only a few trouble dogs, and from the OPs report, this staffy x was one of them.

And no, going to a dog park is not like driving without a seat belt because you've never had an accident. Going to a dog park is like driving every day, knowing full well that road accidents happen and you need to take reasonable care to ensure your safety.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is fair to having your opinion Corvus I am respective for that, but maybe should not have fear aggressive dog in the park too that snarls and growls on the bump? The problem happens in the dog world, one growl and posture the other get in first and finish the job before the growling dog can attack the other. The Bully dog he don't know what the Husky going to do so he sort out the problem. I seeing a few beautiful Schutzhund 3 dogs have a fight at the training, perfect obedience and they wont out or do nothing in the dog fight not listen to the handler and they hang them up on the wheelbarra from back legs the buggers. Is very hard stopping dog fight even with the obedience dog when natural instincts kicking in for fighting other dog and they on the tunnel of vision.

Joe

Why is a dog that growls in response to being collided with by a strange dog "fear aggressive"? Sounds like a perfectly normal reaction to me.

Being collided with by a Stafford X wouldn't tickle.

And since when does every growl result in a follow through.. its a warning, not a threat in most cases.

Edited by poodlefan

I think that many people forget that dogs are " dogs ". The don't sit down and sort out their differences over a cup of tea, they don't meet others and then go off and think about if they like the other dog etc.

completely agree!!!!

The problem happens in the dog world, one growl and posture the other get in first and finish the job before the growling dog can attack the other. The Bully dog he don't know what the Husky going to do so he sort out the problem.

Why is this so hard to grasp? It's not that he 'sorted out the problem' but that he sorted it out with what sounds like uninhibited bites. Erik's 'sorted out' a few problems himself, or tried to, and the dog he sorted out didn't have a mark on them. Both Erik and Kivi have been told off, and the moment they backed off the aggression ceased. They got 'sorted', too, and no one got hurt.

I seeing a few beautiful Schutzhund 3 dogs have a fight at the training, perfect obedience and they wont out or do nothing in the dog fight not listen to the handler and they hang them up on the wheelbarra from back legs the buggers.

So what? I hope they don't get taken to dog parks.

Is fair to having your opinion Corvus I am respective for that, but maybe should not have fear aggressive dog in the park too that snarls and growls on the bump?

JoeK you need to get your facts right if you think that a dog who growls and tells off another dog who gets into its face is fear aggressive. The husky's reaction was perfectly normal. Bitches growl and tell off their puppies all the times. Most dogs don't see it as aggression. Most dogs would understand that the other dog is telling them off and walk away.

Edited by Odin-Genie

Just a update, The husky is doing alright :thumbsup: . They where back at the park yesterday (on leash and looking tired apparently) and my friend caught up with them. Apparently the vet bill was pretty bad and the guy has it ready and waiting for whenever these staffy x owners come back.

Just a update, The husky is doing alright :thumbsup: . They where back at the park yesterday (on leash and looking tired apparently) and my friend caught up with them. Apparently the vet bill was pretty bad and the guy has it ready and waiting for whenever these staffy x owners come back.

great news for the husky! not so great news for the vet bill... and in experience, unfortunatey... i doubt you will ever see the staffy owners again.

when max got attacked about 6-9months ago, I havent seen the owners of those two dogs since. so hopefully they'll go back to the dog park, but honestly? I doubt it :(

great news for the husky! not so great news for the vet bill... and in experience, unfortunatey... i doubt you will ever see the staffy owners again.

when max got attacked about 6-9months ago, I havent seen the owners of those two dogs since. so hopefully they'll go back to the dog park, but honestly? I doubt it :(

Its a shame about the vet bill. But honestly isn't that the point of this thread- that dog shouldn't be in the dog park so it is a good thing if it doesn't come back??? Yes it may be them avoiding being caught, but it may be them realising their dog in not suitable for the environment and being responsible owners.

Its a shame about the vet bill. But honestly isn't that the point of this thread- that dog shouldn't be in the dog park so it is a good thing if it doesn't come back??? Yes it may be them avoiding being caught, but it may be them realising their dog in not suitable for the environment and being responsible owners.

Oh absolutely completely agree - who knows why they don't come back - just in my experience, a lot of the time, they don't (for whatever reason).

I know if max or jen ever hurt another dog I would just give the owners my wallet and apologise over and over again! lol

Im the kind of person who, if found $50,000 on the side of the road, I would take it to the police... lol I couldnt keep it because of the guilty... stupid conscience!!!!

I love how people love to come onto these threads and comment that they never go to dog parks. Would you all like a t-shirt, perhaps, that says "And THAT'S why I never go to dog parks!" Vindicated yet again? Does your heart rate pick up every time you see a thread that in some way mentions dog parks as you anticipate another opportunity to proclaim to the world that you are too smart and sensible to use them? Even when no one actually asked you? Or the topic is specifically about what to do when in a dog park? Which you never go to... :D

:shrug: Some of us use them a lot and just don't have a lot of troubles with them. No one ever asks us how we do it. It's not pure luck.

Before anyone gets defensive, I'm just poking fun. I've been watching too much Hungry Beast and learning about hate-following. Ask yourselves, are you hate-following? ;)

Yes !! Please send me a Tee Shirt :p :rofl:

Good to hear that the Husky is OK :)

Good news about the Husky! :thumbsup: Hopefully the other dog's owners pay up, what scumbags.

I think growling is misinterpreted much of the time the same wail tail wagging is - most people have no idea that tails wag when a dog is being aggressive. All of my dogs growl at each other occasionally. Usually just a 'back off' if someone walks too close to a dinner bowl, or if personal space is invaded. :shrug: None of them have ever fought because they all listen to signals and respect boundaries. It helps to have a balanced alpha male around here.

Oh absolutely completely agree - who knows why they don't come back - just in my experience, a lot of the time, they don't (for whatever reason).

That's right. You will rarely see a dog who seriously attacked another dog back in the same dog park. When my dog was attacked and I told the owners I'll report their dog to the council, these poeple stopped going to this dog park. However, I heard from some friends who were with me at the time that these owners are now frequenting another dog park :mad:mad

Sometimes people just don't understand that their dog is not suitable for dog parks.