Puppy's Tongue Hanging Out

Kitteh

So, I went and picked up Harper from the groomer and she tells me their might be a problem with Harps.

She says it's not normal for a dogs tongue to hang out of it"s mouth like that. ( Just to clarify, it's only the tip that hangs out a little.Pic below)

I don't think it's a problem, but can anyone give me their perspective/opinion on this? I thought it'd be a normal puppy thing. ( he doesn't do it all the time BTW)

He's 19 weeks old

TIA

IMG_2347.jpg

It is not normal , AFAIK, unless a dog is sleeping, or very relaxed(sedated), or has no bottom teeth to hold it in .Tongues are meant to be inside the mouth, to keep moist . Does his tongue protrude when he's awake and alert?

I would contact his breeder, and ask their advice , perhaps?

I agree with persephone - not normal unless the dog is sleeping, very relaxed or has a mouth issue. The only time we've seen it as a persistent issue is with Molly, who has her tongue poking out most of the time due to being severely overshot.

It is not normal , AFAIK, unless a dog is sleeping, or very relaxed(sedated), or has no bottom teeth to hold it in .Tongues are meant to be inside the mouth, to keep moist . Does his tongue protrude when he's awake and alert?

I would contact his breeder, and ask their advice , perhaps?

No, not normally, but sometimes it does poke out. So what is it a sign of then? I googled and nothing much came up. He's not lethargic. He's healthy. ( vet recently checked him over during his last shot.)..

Shit, now I'm worried.doh.gif

As I said- contact his breeder.. it is more than likely a physical problem... something not quite right in his jaw structure or something ? :o A vet check will help you find out, especially if the breeder has no idea, or has not seen it in his family...

No need to panic - but do get him checked :)

Don't go googling and giving yourself grey hair!! :p

Did the vet check his jaw/teeth alignment ,etc?

Has pup always done this, or just recently?

Why I ask is that maybe his front teeth are currently missing.. and therefore there is a gap for a tongue tip ;) is he teething yet?

Could he have been stressed at the groomers and his tounge was poking out/panting maybe more than usual? I have never noticed it with any of my dogs unless they are hot. Definatley not while resting. I'm sure if you popped into or rang your vet to have a chat they would give you more info. Cute puppy by the way, What is he??

I'll take him to the vet on monday and get it checked out.

Persephone, were you making fun of me with that smiley?tongue.gif lol

Tic, He's a bichon.

That's what I said to the groomer Tic, but I just went to feed him, and his tongue was poking out..doh.gif

What age do they start teething at?

My Shih Tzu does it a lot. There is nothing wrong with her so hopefully it's the same for your gorgeous boy. I've noticed Gertie does it more and more as she gets older and it protrudes further each year. It is always when she's relaxed or has been sleeping. She looks very cute in the mornings!

I had a look at his teeth this morning, and he's missing his bottom ones. I'm guessing that's teething?confused.gif

His parents were perfectly fine and their tongues didn't hang out.

Pups start losing their baby teeth around 4-6 months ..and then they get their nice new adult teeth :) During this time - make sure your pup gets plenty of chewy bones and toys to help dislodge loose teeth and help the new ones come thru.

I am presuming when the vet checked your pup just after you got him, all the teeth were in place then, and they have recently fallen out?

it would tie in with the start of that peeping tongue ;)

Just remember to occasionally check the teeth and make sure all is ok . (it's a part of training- allowing your pup to have its mouth/teeth/tongue checked- along with ears/nose, between toes,and everywhere else!

Pups start losing their baby teeth around 4-6 months ..and then they get their nice new adult teeth :) During this time - make sure your pup gets plenty of chewy bones and toys to help dislodge loose teeth and help the new ones come thru.

I am presuming when the vet checked your pup just after you got him, all the teeth were in place then, and they have recently fallen out?

it would tie in with the start of that peeping tongue ;)

Just remember to occasionally check the teeth and make sure all is ok . (it's a part of training- allowing your pup to have its mouth/teeth/tongue checked- along with ears/nose, between toes,and everywhere else!

Persephone, I checked on the net ( yes, yes, I hit up google again tongue.gif ) and it said most dogs start teething by 4-6 months. ( Just like you've said :) )

He get's handled everywhere. ( have been doing it since we got him) I'd say those front ones have recently fallen out, but I can't be sure.

He's been getting lamb ribs, chicken necks and is about to get a shank. I only give him really meaty bones as I don't want to wear away at any adult teeth.

Question though, what should I be looking for when I'm looking in his mouth? ie: anything in particular? Why wouldn't the groomer have clicked that it may be due to his teeth? Considering she's a breeder and all..

Oh and thanks for the responses ladies and gents..much appreciated. thumbsup1.gif

Why wouldn't the groomer have clicked that it may be due to his teeth? Considering she's a breeder and all..

I have no idea :)

It may NOT be due to his teeth missing.... but that is my assumption ;) :o

When checking - just make sure everything looks clean- there is no odour - no dead old brown teeth... no wounds or stuck bits of bone/food...

Edited by persephone

Possibly a large tongue in a small muzzle.

I have an Australian Champion who does this and their is nothing wrong with her.

Some just do it more than others.

She had a friend that did it to.

Both of them are happy healthy dogs. :)

as a vet nurse and puppy trainer.. this problem would most likely be due to the puppy not having any teeth to hold the tongue in. A lot of older pets that have their teeth removed from infection have this problem. i wouldn't be concerned. the tip of the tongue may get a little dry haha ;)

My 12month old constantly has the tip of her tongue poking out. She is happy and healthy but she is due for a check up next month and will get the vet to check her mouth in case.

Thanks for the replies :)

I think it's just that he's missing a few teef. I called the breeder and there's no problems with jaws etc in their lines so I'll just wait and see.

Like I've said, it's not hanging out a great deal, and he's not doing it 100% of the time. If it doesn't go away once his teeth grow in, or if I get concerned, I'll take him to the vet.

Thanks again :D

• 9 years later...

Hi Kitteh,

I know it’s been a long time since this post but did you find out the issue of the your puppy?

reason I ask is I am about to purchase a puppy but I’ve noticed the same tongue poke. Before I purchase it I just want to make sure it’s not an issue.