Haemophilia A

A quick update.

Yellow is spending a few days in hospital to let his system settle down and try and eliminate the risk of any further injuries while his clotting product levels are really low. His cut in his month is quite a bad one and is still oozing a little bit at times. Our vet is thinking about stitching it but we will see how he goes.

We have arranged to send blood samples for all the dogs to Cornell University on Monday and will have results back by the end of the week. Crossing fingers and paws that when we get those back they are good.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad to hear all this, they were a lovely litter. No advice for you, just wanted to say how sorry I am.

Me too. I also want to thank you both for bringing your babies to the structure lecture so we could all learn from them, and for posting here in detail about this issue, the testing options you have tried and the modes of inheritance. I know things suck now and this might be cold comfort, but I think you've helped a lot of people learn more.

Thanks Sky :)

Another quick update.

Yellow's cut was still not healing up completely, it had mostly clotted but he kept bumping it with his tongue and making it ooze a little bit so we decided to have it stitched.

The operation went perfectly last night and the wound has been stitched and cauterized and the bleeding has stopped.

Was the best thing to do since we think the constant need to clot was using up all his clotting factors and not giving him a chance to catch back up as it where.

They are keeping at the hospital for 24 hours to make sure he is stable and then he can come home.

Paws crossed that he is home for snuggles tonight.

What a business :( Just thinking- if the vet does stitches- isn't that more holes to bleed?

I hope you get some answers soon... it must be so worrying for you. :hug:

Yes it is more holes to bleed, but the current cut is quite large and deep so the clot has to be quite large and doesn't have anything to 'hang on to'.

By stitching it we actually end up with a smaller wound are over all and the clot has something to hold on to, making it harder for him to constantly knock the clot off with his tongue.

By stitching it we actually end up with a smaller wound are over all and the clot has something to hold on to, making it harder for him to constantly knock the clot off with his tongue.

yep :o senior moment . Thanks .

No worries. I said exactly the same thing to the vet when she first mentioned stitching it lol. :p

I am leaving half an hour to pick up the little bloke.

We have renovated the back yard to make a small outdoor pen for him so he is separated from my other dogs, and will be crated when no one is home. My older dogs are very calm, so he can interact with them supervised in the house.

I am second guessing my decisions, but feel that I need to give him a chance at a life. The focus will be on Quality.....

Bloods are going to be sent off on monday to test a whole range of factors- just incase it is Haemophilia B and a factor 9 deficiency (a possibility with how sever the first two boys conditions were) which can not be tested here in Aus. It will also tell me which of the girls are carriers, and means that if they are carriers I can inform owners. There is a very small risk of extended bleeding with carriers during extensive surgeries, so something good for their vet to be aware off.

The little man has settled back into home and has his own room all set up for him.

We had to spend half the night cleaning up and remodelling the backyard so he has a safe play pen but things are pretty well set up for him now.

He is happy and bouncy and enjoying himself and that is the important thing.

The little man has settled back into home and has his own room all set up for him.

We had to spend half the night cleaning up and remodelling the backyard so he has a safe play pen but things are pretty well set up for him now.

He is happy and bouncy and enjoying himself and that is the important thing.

good news, please keep us updated

Another quick update.

Kane (yellow) is doing well and currently living away from the other puppies with his mother, who is super gentle with him. The other boy has gone to his forever home (new owner being made fully aware of the situation and decided to take him anyway) and is doing really well there with no signs of being affected.

We are still trying to find forever homes for two of the girls, all of the girls are definitely unaffected. The test from teh US should tell us who are carriers though so we can make sure they get desexed and removed from the breeding pool.

Blood are in the US and we are expecting to get results tomorrow. Paws crossed that the results are good :)

We got some results for the boys over the weekend.

The good news is Cahill (black) is clean of Haemophilia.

the bad news is little Mr Yellow has been diagnosed as severe with <1% of the normal factor 8 levels.

The confusing thing about it all is, with those levels, he really shouldn't still be with as and should be having regular spontaneous bleeds. He certainly shouldn't have clotted when blood was taken or form the big gash in the top of his month.

At the moment our vet (and no one else we ask) can explain it to us so we are just keeping him quiet and seeing how he goes. He is really happy and loving his life at the moment.

We should get results for the girls today.

I had to make the decision to put Yellow to sleep last night.

He ended up bleeding into the muscles under his tongue. I thought I could just watch it and hope that it resolved, but it eventually became clear that it wasn't stopping. He had a big dinner, and got to play fetch and bounce of the walls, and generally do everything naughty that we had been trying to stop him from doing.

In the end the decision was clear- he wasnt able to shut his mouth and I was worried about asphyxiation. The vet and interns and receptionist were all just as upset- he had really made his mark on everyone he met. All the more hard because he was still a happy puppy :cry: but he wasnt in too much pain, so I am glad I didnt wait.

RIP Yellow "Jumabaar a Nobel Heart"

Run free with Teddy and Red

Edited by ~Woofen~