Puppy Retained Tooth!

Lynn725

I'd only be worried in a pedigree show dog and bull breeds that are renowned for retaining them and it impacting on the adult bite.

I usually find that roo tails and lamb shanks are pretty good at getting them to move, as are games of tug. The adult canine has only just errupted and it should move the baby in the next couple of weeks anyway. I also wiggle the babies and that helps to shift them.

My puppy is about 5 to 6 months old now, the new teeth has begun to show up infront of the baby tooth, a small part of the new tooth is showing up now. Should i wait for a while until the new tooth came out more? I am kinda worry that the baby tooth will not fall out. Will the new tooth eventually push the baby tooth out? My puppy is a Japanese Spitz by the way!

Should i get a vet now or should i wait for a while? Im worried!

How old is the dog? Our dobe just lost his last tooth @ 7 months & our girl lost hers around the same age so would'nt worry too much. . Keep the bones up and it should loosen on its own.

My pup is 5 and half months, both canines have erupted and are about 1/3 to 1/2 way through and he still has his milkys. I'm checking them twice daily, waiting for signs they are changing colour, which means they are dying off and likely to pop out soon. If they don't change soon I'll start to consider options.

Personally, if puppies canines aren't showing considerably yet, I wouldn't worry.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

Generally 6 months or when the permanent tooth is about half way out, is the time for a vet to pull the baby teeth.

From that photo I would give it another week or two, with lots of tug games and things to chew. You can also start wriggling the tooth once the permanent tooth is partly errupted.