Adding Stuff To Kibble

I was wondering if by adding natures gift canned food, or by adding some lightly cooked meat (roo or lamb), canned salmon, sweet potato, a health booster and omgea blend would unbalance a premium kibble.

I know it's not necessary, but like to add something to his night time feed for variety. It also seems to help his stools, I'm not sure why but it does.

Do you think this does more harm than good?

E.T.A The natures gift canned I add, is the Kangaroo meat, vitamins and minerals thats it. And I should also mention that he is currently being fed Earthborn holistic Ocean Fusion.

He loves the added stuff, and only gets it at night time. Do you think this will create problems.

As long as your dog is fit and healthy, I don't think it matters.

Many threads on feeding seem to come to the conclusion that each dog is different. What suits one, doesn't necessarily suit another. And so on. Each owner has to fine tune to suit their dog.

Mine has had a variety of food and thrived on it - right up until we lost her this week that is. She was shiny, active and happy right into old age.

As long as your dog is fit and healthy, I don't think it matters.

Many threads on feeding seem to come to the conclusion that each dog is different. What suits one, doesn't necessarily suit another. And so on. Each owner has to fine tune to suit their dog.

Mine has had a variety of food and thrived on it - right up until we lost her this week that is. She was shiny, active and happy right into old age.

She had a great innings too. I think 11 years for a larger dog is a great run. I hope my boy lives a life like that.

Thanks, I was hoping what we are feeding him is fine, but thought I'd ask for opinions as I like to consider other opinions, to confirm my own if that makes sense, or is it just silly???

Just one question tho...

Why do you need to cook the meat?

He always seems to vomit raw meat. So thought I thought slightly cooking it is better. Not sure why he does it, but have just come to the conclusion he doesn't tolerate it very well. Might change when he is older, so will keep offering it to him every now and then. But without fail so far, he throws it straight back up.

I add vitamin E oil and Livamol.

I find the dogs have a nicer coat if they are added.

What is Livamol??? The omega blend I add to the mixture I make has Vitamin E, A and D already added.

Thanks, I was hoping what we are feeding him is fine, but thought I'd ask for opinions as I like to consider other opinions, to confirm my own if that makes sense, or is it just silly???

Perfect sense.

You will find many threads on feeding. BARF is something you might like to research. It's an interesting subject. My girl at 11 had not lost a single tooth!

PM me if you want to know what I was feeding her. It may not suit you - but hey , the offer is there. :)

Just one question tho...

He always seems to vomit raw meat. So thought I thought slightly cooking it is better. Not sure why he does it, but have just come to the conclusion he doesn't tolerate it very well. Might change when he is older, so will keep offering it to him every now and then. But without fail so far, he throws it straight back up.

Mine used to chuck Roo meat. I had to eliminate that from her diet. She was fine without that.

See if it a particular meat that offends or if it is all of them.

Just one question tho...

Mine used to chuck Roo meat. I had to eliminate that from her diet. She was fine without that.

See if it a particular meat that offends or if it is all of them.

Yeah it seems to be all, I have tried Roo, Fish, Veal, Lamb, Chix, Beef, Turkey and even Rabbit. But if I slightly cook them all he is fine with all of them, except Chix which really seems to upset him. He is strange I know.

Yeah it seems to be all, I have tried Roo, Fish, Veal, Lamb, Chix, Beef, Turkey and even Rabbit. But if I slightly cook them all he is fine with all of them, except Chix which really seems to upset him. He is strange I know.

Oh - 0k.

Not easy then.

Have you asked the vet for an opinion on that? I think that would be my next stop.

It might be worth trying a spoonful of plain yoghurt each day - if he can tolerate it, that is.

I haven't noticed any probs with the extras.

My bullies get stuff added to their kibble (holistic select). It might be raw meat, chicken necks, barf patte, egg, yoghurt, sardines or cheese (I know... but they love cheese)

They also get a lamb or a turkey neck once/week.

They have mighty shine to their coats and the pearly whites are pretty good too.

Mine always have extras.

They get some Natures Gift canned with their breakfast.

At night they get some of ... chicken necks/wings, mince of some sort, sardines, tuna, eggs, rice with veg, other bits and pieces. If you find something doesn't agree with them eliminate that. And obviously keep the "bad things" to a minimum. What are the "bad things", well I think that list would depend on who you asked!!!!

Great ideas guys thanks.

I guess, slightly cooking the extras instead of it being Raw is in a way just like kibble really isn't it?

My vet thinks it might be more of a case of a weak immuse system reagarding him not tolerating the raw. But we are slowly working on that and he is getting better. He has had a few issue with bad skin and itchiness. But definately getting better. Which is why I always add an Immune Booster to all his food, it definately works.

But since he has been getting better, we have notice that chix causes him most grief and itching. Which is why I had to change him off Black Hawk. And let me tell you all, it's soooooooooooo hard to find a kibble that doesn't contain any chix what so ever. Which is why I'm really hoping this one I have put him on works.

I think I will continue to add the natures gift, home made mixture and a cottage cheese with freshly ground flaxseed mixture. He won't touch sardines (don't blame him), egg (which I think I will avoid being from a chix).

Would love some more suggestion though, so please keep them coming :)

If you can see if there is an oily fish that he will eat if he won't eat sardines (I always give the ones in tomato sauce - less smelly plus I'm sure they're yummier!! I personally can't stand them and see them as only dog or cat food!!). It may help with skin issues. Just because it adds a bit more oil into the system and fish oils in general are not too bad for them. I know a couple of dogs that moved onto sardines/tuna/salmon and their dry skin improved and itchiness decreased. You could also try giving him a fish oil capsule.

I have a dog with a heap of allergies, i feed a home prepared diet and evening primrose oil and fish oil capsules recommended by my dermatologist. I personally dont feed canned meat as you never can trust what they say is in it.

I was wondering if by adding natures gift canned food, or by adding some lightly cooked meat (roo or lamb), canned salmon, sweet potato, a health booster and omgea blend would unbalance a premium kibble.

I know it's not necessary, but like to add something to his night time feed for variety. It also seems to help his stools, I'm not sure why but it does.

Do you think this does more harm than good?

E.T.A The natures gift canned I add, is the Kangaroo meat, vitamins and minerals thats it. And I should also mention that he is currently being fed Earthborn holistic Ocean Fusion.

He loves the added stuff, and only gets it at night time. Do you think this will create problems.

Dont cook the meat, just add lamb in raw. Buy whole lamb necks and cut them up or leave them whole, depending on the size of your dog. If the dog is vomiting it could be because he is gulping his food and so vomits it back up to eat it again (toally normal). Cooked meat is softer so if the dog does not chew much it can still be digested. Gulped raw meat often needs two goes.

Milk.

Bread.

Eggs.

Sardines (canned in vegetable oil).

Tuna (canned in vegetable oil).

NB: It helps his stools because dry food has a lot of extra stuff in it that dogs do not digest as well as natural food.

Cut out the dry food and you will find the stools are half the size, hard and not stinky sloppies.

:)

Edited by lilli

Vomitting raw meat is also often caused because people feed it directly from the fridge. It is common for dogs and cats to vomit cold meat. Allow it to become room temp or even zap it in the mic for a few seconds on a low setting to remove the chill.

Just a suggestion. :)