Need Help Dog Lose On The Street

Atanquin

Hi all, I currently have a problem with a dog on our street. It is always out of the yard running around on the road, somtimes it will hide in a bush and run out bark at the car and today I hit it I screamed as it was a big shock ( I was only doing 40) but it seamed okay and ran back to the house. Now me and 5 other people on our street have complain to the council about the dog as me and the others are scared to walk down the street with our dogs as it will run over and start trying to attack. The council has done nothing!!!! And this afternoon the lady that owns the dog came to my house and was threatening to sue me because I hit her dog. Any advice on the matter would be a big help. ( p.s the dog looks like a Maltese)

Edited by Atanquin

I think if you take the dog to council and say you found it wandering the street - then they have to keep it and the owner has to go get it and surely they have processes where a fine will be involved.

As for the lady threatening to sue you, I have no advice (sorry). I don't understand the gall of her.

I think if you take the dog to council and say you found it wandering the street - then they have to keep it and the owner has to go get it and surely they have processes where a fine will be involved.

As for the lady threatening to sue you, I have no advice (sorry). I don't understand the gall of her.

This

well in NSW she'd be in a lot more trouble than you, plenty of fines down here for people who let their dogs run free.

Poor dog, it's probably terrified of being outside and doesn't know what to do, it may not be running to attack other people and their dogs but trying to find some company!

What a moron the owner obviously is. She obviously has no idea how lucky she is to have a dog and deserves a massive kick up the rear. :mad

Hey everyone thank you for the quick replies! I live in qld and I might take it to the RSPCA next time I see it lose ( it never has a collar on ) I think she is a back yard breeder one of it's pups ended up I'm my BF's mums back yard trapped by her gsd. I don't have a dog yet but I'm picking my pup up next week and it would be nice when he is old enough to take him for walks with out him being attacked. Once again thanks for the quick replies

Hey everyone thank you for the quick replies! I live in qld and I might take it to the RSPCA next time I see it lose ( it never has a collar on ) I think she is a back yard breeder one of it's pups ended up I'm my BF's mums back yard trapped by her gsd. I don't have a dog yet but I'm picking my pup up next week and it would be nice when he is old enough to take him for walks with out him being attacked. Once again thanks for the quick replies

No, don't take the dog anywhere.

Just call the council and report it. Every time you see the dog loose.

We have reported it lots of times that's the problem we are currently facing the council are doing nothing! It's be a year !

Once my son and i were followed from a playground by a stray dog.A man in nearby street called out and pointed to a house where he said the dog lived. When i knocked on the door the owner said ;Oh i let him out to see if he can find his way back.Yeh right;probably wanted to see if he wouldn't come back.Maybe this lady hopes her dog will go away. Yes take him to the RSPCA .I would bet she will not want to go and get him back.

Edited by budgiew

We have reported it lots of times that's the problem we are currently facing the council are doing nothing! It's be a year !

Then write a letter to the council CEO and ask why nothing has been done about your complaints. Put in the reference numbers that you would have been given when you made the complaints. Every time you report the dog ask for a name and reference number and write it down, then call back an hour later to find out what action has been taken. This dog is causing problems with traffic, make sure the council knows that, and has it in writing.

^This.

Who are you calling? The council office or the ranger?

Request the rangers direct phone number and call him every time the dog is out. Get the neighbours to do the same.

And this afternoon the lady that owns the dog came to my house and was threatening to sue me because I hit her dog.

Tell her good luck finding a lawyer to take up that case given that she's the one breaking the law :laugh:

Did the owner take the dog to the vet after it was hit? If she didn't maybe you could report her to the RSPCA and say the dog was hit by the car and not sure if it is injured.Maybe they may step in then.

I guy we reported it to the local council office I was never given a reference number and I have spoken to the others and didn't get one when they rang and was told the same thing I was: ( thank you for your report and will look into it as soon as possible) so we might try going in there in person and kindly ask to speak with someone about this matter and not leave until it is resolved. I will be keeping an eye of the dog to make it is okay and will you know what happens thanks for all your input

Phone the council, and follow up with an email. Ie following our phone conversation at this time on this date with this staff member, re stray dog causing traffic problems and harrassing other dogs, I would like to know what is being done.

If nothing is done (ie you don't get a reply inside 24 hours), forward the email you sent, back to the council, cc it to your local councillors and the CEO (find their email out and send it to them as well). And ask again why you haven't heard back and why the dog is still out on the street harrassing people, dogs on lead and cars.

My council has a policy that all emails are to be answered in a meaningful way (ie more than "we got your email"). I get good action if I forward the unanswered email to the right people in council.

And sometimes I'm sure the reception staff that answer the phone get distracted by face to face customers, and don't pass on the message about the dog/graffitti/weeds/broken street signs etc. So an email is an easy way to track what is going on.

I have been known to take the "Stray dog" home and call the ranger to come and get. Get good response that way. They may not find it easy to deal if the dog retreats onto its own place or disappears before they get there.

I feel your pain. My street has a different offlead dog a few times a week at the minimum. Just this week the dog down the road was out AGAIN so this time I called the council. Took the ranger over half an hour to call me back for more details, then another half hour for him to come out. In the meantime, the same dog and it's doggy housemate were out together, further up the street across the road from my house. Running to and fro across the road into people gardens, so I called the council back to report 2 dogs now. Finally saw the ranger come down the street but they never called me back to let me know the outcome.

Only a few weeks ago I called about another stray dog in my street, but that time they had the decency to call me back and let me know the outcome.

Been attacked by 2 dogs in the same street on a previous occasion, so that is why I am so frightened of ALL offlead dogs, and the majority of them live in my street! Can't/won't walk my dogs in my neighbourhood anymore, too frightened.

I really hope council don't give out the information to the owners about who made the call, because I have unsavoury neighbours in my street which I am sure are capable of "payback". They say they don't disclose that info, but it's still a fear of mine! Don't want to put me, and even more importantly, my own dogs at risk! But I am not going to let these morons get away with it any longer so I'm on mission doggy dobber to clean up my neighbourhood!

Edited by RubyStar

I have had a couple of stray dog encounters. If I can, for the dogs safety, I usually catch it and contain it then call the AMO's to collect it(if they ask if you know where it comes from you say no so that way they can't try to get owner details and get the dog back to them without going through the AMO's - my reason for this is if the AMO's get involved then usually there will be a fine for dog on the loose, dog off propety without registration tag and possibly for no registration. Sometimes if people have to fork out a bundle of money they try a bit harder to not have to fork it out again!).

If I can't catch it I just call council and ask for the AMO to be sent to catch it and if I'm not happy with their response I will then call the local police station and tell them that there is a dog on the loose it has been reported to council but council have not done anything and it is posing a risk to public safety (ie being aggressive to people, running through traffic and potetnially causing accidents).

I live in an area with a completely useless council and in 3 years have never seen anything of the AMO's so am pretty intolerant of a lack of actionso do what I can to force them in to action.

Agree with whoever it was that also said ring every single time you see the dog and do the phone/email chase of each complaint.

Good luck (and have fun with your new little pup when it comes!!!).

As already suggested get the rangers # don't go to your local council office if you want to go somewhere go to the local pound where the rangers operate out of and speak to someone there.

It is not illegal to take a dog wandering on the street and drop it at the pound or rspca. IF this was me I would be taking it to the pound or RSPCA as it will cost her $$$ to get the dog back out again maybe a few times of having to pay money to get her dog back and she will stop letting it wander.

Our RSPCA won't take a dog unless it's been reported to council first...

I don't think you have to live on the street to report a stray dog. So you could make up an address or say you walk your dogs that way but you live somewhere else. Tempting to give the address of the local football club.