Staffy - Looking For Advice (help)

Gammalite

Which "Aussie Dog Whisperer" ? I know of two with that name .... have you checked out their websites?

Personally, I'd steer clear of anyone who calls themselves "Dog Whisperer"

Yes :(

and your appointment is not until September????

What you are dealing with requires an urgent assessment ............... :(

Edited by persephone

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, wow a lot to digest and I DO really appreciate the advice so far.

Here's what Im going to do, Ill invest in her then see what comes. I spoke to Staffy Rescue in Melbourne and they have advised me to call Aussie Dog Whisperer. Booked in for Thursday 9-1.

I am going to give her a chance. Ill come back to the post.

Here is the video of the first day they met. I actually forgot I posted this on youtube. I did it for the previous owners.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QhRM7jn0VwY

(Please excuse the gun range videos, it was a work event while we were in Las Vegas)

Once again, thanks for the advice and I hope a positive comes out of this.

Mike

Did you get her from Staffy Rescue?

Personally, I'd steer clear of anyone who calls themselves "Dog Whisperer", and go with someone who has experience and many recommendations. A fully qualified behaviorist who dealt with my Staffy and is a respected member on here is someone to consider at least. PM me if you want her contact details anyway, I did leave them in my other post. Nekhbet is my recommendation.

Actually, after watching that video, yes, I would recommend you keep them separate and get onto a behaviorist asap. :(

Is your backyard escape proof? It looks very open.

This.

Do you have crates for them, so you can rotate them? Or at least one?

Where are you located?

Edited by trojka

Mike- sorry...

BUT

Guaranteed results?

Yes we can and do guarantee that if you follow Tony's Method and follow Pack Leader Way that results will be inevitable. Tony will Demonstrate his methods on the consultations and you will see the results happening right in front of you. Tony will also shows you what is to be done to alter the behaviour of your dog. In Most cases dogs behaviour will change immediately

I do NOT believe anyone can, sight unseen, GUARANTEE results :(

results will be inevitable - yep there will be some results- but what sort is not clear. ;)

Edited by persephone

I found Missy via a google search in my local area for Staffy to good home. Maybe that was a mistake but its done. It was a one way deal and really there is no going back. They have moved. (go figure)

Here is the website of the recommended fellow:

http://www.aussiedogwhisperer.com.au/.

Mike

Personally, I'd run a mile, cancel the appointment and listen to the recommendations you've received here.

Dam.

I just dont have to put to sleep option in me. Apart from that, what else can I do?

More than happy to cancel the appointment (save 300) but I feel like I need to try something before ending it.

Now Im not sure.....

(Pascoe Vale South)

Edited by Gammalite

Contact Nekhbet or Cosmolo. They are fantastic trainers and every experience I've had with them has been a positive one. You don't need a 'dog whisperer', you need a fantastic trainer or behaviourist.

Mike, I'm sure you're on to it but please be careful with those two dogs around your gorgeous boy. If they start a fight and your son tries to break it up it could be accidentally disastrous. I just love Astro - all his body language is so appropriate - he loves his little cooling off bucket too :laugh:

Dam.

I just dont have to put to sleep option in me. Apart from that, what else can I do?

More than happy to cancel the appointment (save 300) but I feel like I need to try something before ending it.

Now Im not sure.....

(Pascoe Vale South)

Definitely contact Nekhbet, she is very knowledgeable and can give you some good solid advice

Dam.

Now Im not sure.....

(Pascoe Vale South)

Nekhbet and Cosmolo are both recommended behaviorists from this forum. Send them a message. Easy. Do you want their phone numbers messaged to your inbox?

Mike- definitely 'try something' ..

PTS is a big decision ..and you need to assimilate the idea ... so please contact the folks mentioned on here (numerous times) They are trusted and recommended .. get Missy assessed, and then you will have support .

D O L is a great place to share these sorts of journeys ....

hang in there.

Yes, all dog trainers aren't equal. I would have saved a lot of money and time with my previous dog if I'd gone to a good one first, instead of trying out a string of mediocre ones. Personal recommendations are a good way to go - certainly better than trying someone random.

Mike, I'm sure you're on to it but please be careful with those two dogs around your gorgeous boy. If they start a fight and your son tries to break it up it could be accidentally disastrous. I just love Astro - all his body language is so appropriate - he loves his little cooling off bucket too :laugh:

Hes great and it keeps him rolling with water bucket over !

My son Finn, Astro really loves him and they are great mates. Hes warming to missy but no doubt he hears what has happened when I discuss the issues with my wife.

Cheers

Mike

Astro is a gorgeous dog... and appears to be totally socially appropriate in his dealings with the rather dominant Missy in that clip.

Missy definitely needs some help to learn that she doesn't have to be so dominant.

Get in touch with Cosmolo or Nekhbet... they are awesome trainers!

T.