Staffy - Looking For Advice (help)

Gammalite

Great to see that you have touched base with a Behaviourist and I wish you all the best in managing them going forward.

I personaly don't believe that re-homing a dog-aggressive dog is the right thing to do for a few reasons....people don't generally want dog aggressive dogs and if they do you'll want to question that and secondly I've seen so many times that even people you believe to have the skill to manage simple boundary and rule setting aren't capable and with a dog aggressive dogs that's just a reciepe for distaster, I have to say I personaly have not known any dog aggressive dog to be rehomed successfully i.e. was not put to sleep for aggression issues by its' owner - usually because the new owner was not able to handle the dog and an inccident happened. In Rescue Great Danes, I don't touch dog aggressive dogs because I believe them to be a liability and there are a huge amount of non-aggressive dogs needing new homes, mind you I'm dealing with 60-80 kilo dogs and that's no place for aggression.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the support and best wishes, I really appreciate it, I mean lot.

Stuart from underdog training came out and we spent a couple of hours together. Just based on what he saw, playing turning rough and aggressive he was clear on some of the issues. He mentioned she will really never loose her aggressive streak, but we can lower it on her priorities.

My plan to help Missy going forward is as follows:

1. I got her a muzzle. Like Stuart said, it wont stop the agro but will control the damage.

2. Work with her on a lead (I usually take the dogs out without leads. Astro is excellent so I extended the same to Missy).

3. Working with Missy on her focus as ME as the reward. Stuart mentioned that her dominance was a reward for her thats why she does it, I need to shift that.

I will try these for the next 3 months and focus on discipline for her. Astro will shape up to and they are now like salt and pepper, but still have a scrap now and then.

So in summary, she will be muzzled when off lead but on the lead most of the time until I get some confidence she will play nice if ever.

I took her to the park tonight (its 3 footy ovals together that are off lead area's). I usually let them run around for 30-45 minutes which puffs them out. I put the muzzle on her, which she hated but we both persisted and it seem to be fine. She did run into another dog (also off lead) , a small terrier type. I didn't realise they were there until Missy made a B Line to them. (working on that too) He was fun. She tried to dominate as usual but he was strong little dog who stood up for himself. She had the muzzle on and was quite fun. No growling just the piecing stare, but the terrier stood his ground and they quickly became friends.

I will be working with her on lead, dam she really shits me because she is such a lover to me and people in general. So it proves to me she has a real nice side. I just need to focus on that being the shining trait.

Hard work ahead but effort is something I will put in.

Thanks once again and I will definitely write back with updates.

Mike, Astro and Missy

Edited by Gammalite

It's good to hear that you have had some expert advice for helping Missy learn new nicer habits.

It's going to be a fair bit of hard work, but you sound like you are willing to put in the time and effort to make it happen.

Don't forget that the trainers are only as far away as a phone call if you hit any stumbling blocks, OK?

T.

Stuart from underdog training came out and we spent a couple of hours together. Just based on what he saw, playing turning rough and aggressive he was clear on some of the issues. He mentioned she will really never loose her aggressive streak, but we can lower it on her priorities.

1. I got her a muzzle. Like Stuart said, it wont stop the agro but will control the damage.

2. Work with her on a lead (I usually take the dogs out without leads. Astro is excellent so I extended the same to Missy).

3. Working with Missy on her focus as ME as the reward. Stuart mentioned that her dominance was a reward for her thats why she does it, I need to shift that.

I will try these for the next 3 months and focus on discipline for her. Astro will shape up to and they are now like salt and pepper, but still have a scrap now and then.

So in summary, she will be muzzled when off lead but on the lead most of the time until I get some confidence she will play nice if ever.

I took her to the park tonight (its 3 footy ovals together that are off lead area's). I usually let them run around for 30-45 minutes which puffs them out. I put the muzzle on her, which she hated but we both persisted and it seem to be fine. She did run into another dog (also off lead) , a small terrier type. I didn't realise they were there until Missy made a B Line to them. (working on that too) He was fun. She tried to dominate as usual but he was strong little dog who stood up for himself. She had the muzzle on and was quite fun. No growling just the piecing stare, but the terrier stood his ground and they quickly became friends.

I will be working with her on lead, dam she really shits me because she is such a lover to me and people in general. So it proves to me she has a real nice side. I just need to focus on that being the shining trait.

Mike, Astro and Missy

Great to hear you are going to work on this :)

The bolded part is an area that you need to hone your skills on, with a dog like Missy this is something you cannot afford to miss.

Well done on getting the professional help you required.It sounds as though being a little thug is how Missy has got through life up until now.Please just keep in mind that even muzzled she could hurt a little dog badly by hitting them with the muzzle or just by knocking them around.Not all dogs will be resilient as the terrier you met tonight.Nor will other owners appreciate her being aggressive with their dogs. Muzzle or not I'm not sure an off lead park ,off lead is the place for Missy yet.Being a thug she will probably target dogs that do show fear of her and that's no fun for the other dog and reinforce that Missy's bad behaviour.

Even if there are no dogs about when you arrive ,she has already proved her powers of observation are better than yours!

You have made a commitment to work with Missy so give her the best chance of rehabilitation by not giving her the opportunity to reinforce her bullying behaviour.

I have a fiery little bully bitch here that can be DA with other girls if they get in her face and honestly I would no sooner let her off lead at a park than I would sprout wings and fly even muzzled. Her manners are perfect on lead with other dogs so why let her have the opportunity to injure or bully another dog? Exercise her on lead for the time being and you both will benefit.You will be fitter and she will be better behaved.How are you on rollerblades???LOL

Also I would be very cautious about leaving the two dogs alone together.Spats can very quickly turn to serious fights and if does and one or both are seriously hurt you will kick yourself.Separate them and let them interact when you can supervise and make sure Missy's behaviour is appropriate. I'm curious if Stuart was concerned about them being alone together?Since he has observed the dogs if he felt they were ok together I would bow to his superior knowledge.

We really tend to over romanticise our dogs needs to have doggy 'friends' and to 'run free' with their doggy friends. We have to aware that is not a suitable scenario for all dogs so we have to recognise it, do what we can to adjust the behaviour and then manage it.It is a huge commitment and sometimes a pain in the backside managing a socially difficult dog but very possible to have a perfectly happy dog without them having our perception of a perfect doggy dream life.

All the very best with Missy!

Well done for sticking this out. It's not easy and it probably won't be easy for some time but a lot of others would have taken a quicker, easier and more permanent solution. I wish a lot more owners were like you. At least this way you can honestly say to yourself that you have given her every chance possible at a normal life.

I wish you all the very best of luck with her and her issues. Can I just suggest that you also work with your trainer on your children becoming higher up in the pecking order? She has a very dominant personality and she needs to respect the fact that she doesn't make the plays with anyone in the family. It will be a good chance also to teach your children about reading body language :)

Good on you for putting in the hard yards.I would like to hear how she goes down the track.She is still young,so that's a plus for her learning.I wish i had been able to do the same when i had my Staffy x.But had 4 kids under 10 at the time and she new she could be the boss.She went to a home with a couple without kids and one other dog. I got to see her a couple of times. Fortunately her new owners were just as tough as her and she had a more active life than i could have given her.

Mike, Astro and Missy

I'm staggered that you have ever let her off the lead knowing she is aggressive to other dogs? Very dangerous.

i totally agree she should not be off the lead in comapny of other peoples dogs. put her back on. to me u want an other astro she is not that and needs to be treated so.

Also astro should be on a lead sorry but i cant stand dogs walked down the rd without a lead on. off lead areas yes but ever where else no.

but other than that sounds like you are on your way but never ever be let your guard down.

He mentioned she will really never loose her aggressive streak, but we can lower it on her priorities.

I'm staggered that you have ever let her off the lead knowing she is aggressive to other dogs? Very dangerous.

I have to agree with this. Not only is it very dangerous to other dogs but allows the behaviour to be reinforced.

I am really glad for the dog's sake that you have got help and are willing to put in the work.

But you do realise that this is a dog that should never again be off-lead in public areas? That is part of the responsibility of owning an aggressive dog.

It is absolutely the biggest nightmare for other dog owners, the thought of your dog being ripped apart. Even if one of your dogs is Ok with other dogs they will often act as a pack and attack another dog - you simply don't have any control even in your own backyard so how you can go out and put other people's dogs at risks is something I find very shocking.

It is absolutely the biggest nightmare for other dog owners, the thought of your dog being ripped apart. Even if one of your dogs is Ok with other dogs they will often act as a pack and attack another dog - you simply don't have any control even in your own backyard so how you can go out and put other people's dogs at risks is something I find very shocking.

What, even when the attacking dog has a muzzle on? :confused: Or am I confusing the function of a muzzle with something else?

What, even when the attacking dog has a muzzle on? :confused: Or am I confusing the function of a muzzle with something else?

Muzzles can come off. Damage can still be done with a muzzle on too. Imagine someone hitting metal/hard plastic on your face.

And add to that if an aggressive dog came up to an onleash dog like mine and growled or postures, my dog without a muzzle may feel the need to respond. I can control him buts its not the point. I hate unleashed dogs wandering up to my dog. he's been attacked by supposedly 'ok' dogs before.

He mentioned she will really never loose her aggressive streak, but we can lower it on her priorities.

I have to agree with this. Not only is it very dangerous to other dogs but allows the behaviour to be reinforced.

I am really glad for the dog's sake that you have got help and are willing to put in the work.

But you do realise that this is a dog that should never again be off-lead in public areas? That is part of the responsibility of owning an aggressive dog.

Greytmate is absolutely right.

It's just one of the difficult responsibilities, but one of the most important.

You need to be completely in control of your dog AT ALL TIMES, which you cannot be when she is offlead.

The muzzle is not a failsafe means of preventing attack, unless she is onlead.