Wide Angle Prime Lens Advice

I have the 24mm 2.8 and I love it. It's probably on my camera 50% of the time, maybe more (for personal stuff, not weddings etc). I use it way more than I ever thought I would, but I don't think it's super wide, especially not on a crop sensor. I'm looking for something wider and am considering the Sigma 10-20mm.

This is one from this afternoon:

dsc74731308822701.jpg

This is one from this afternoon:

Nawwww way too cute :D He's grown so much!

Anyway good luck with your decision RnB, I've been trying to choose as well and finally bought the Sigma 17-70mm tonight.......now I just have to be patient and wait for it to arrive :coffee::laugh: I was nearly swayed by the canon 15-85mm at the last moment, but stuck with the Sigma in the end :)

I've got the Canon 24mm f2.8 and it's a very under-appreciated lens. VERY sharp at f2.8, probably the sharpest lens wide open, that I've got. Most of the rest benefit from stopping down a bit.

I don't think the 24mm Is going to do It for me, so I've decided on the Sigma 20mm 1.8 :thumbsup:

If budget allows I'm pretty keen on the Sig 30mm 1.4 as well, or do you think they're too close to get both??

If I do I hope I get a good one as a few have had focusing Issues and have needed to send back for calibration but seems to be flawless on return!

I think I'm going to be a prime junkie :laugh: Coz I want the 85mm 1.8 from canon too!

Good luck with your purchase CC I'm sure the wait will be a tad agonizing lol where did you purchase by the way? I'm thinking DWI as their prices seem really good atm

I still need to wait for settlement though so a little longer for me to wait

Oh and lovely pic Huga

I don't think the 20 and 30 are too close in range to have both. Although I may not be the best person to ask because if I want a lens, I buy it :D

Can't wait to see you play with the 20! I have to be honest, it's a lens that I think about adding now and again even with everything I already have LOL

I look forwards to seeing your pics with it RnB :D

Good luck with your purchase CC I'm sure the wait will be a tad agonizing lol where did you purchase by the way? I'm thinking DWI as their prices seem really good atm

I went with Digital Camera Warehouse in the end due to this statement from CR Kennedy.....take note of the bold bit, I believe Bec got a good price match through this :)

SIGMA AUSTRALIAN WARRANTY ON GREY IMPORTS

C.R. Kennedy & Co P/L will only undertake warranty repairs on products sourced through us. All products imported directly from overseas and resold are not covered by our warranty. This includes purchases through ebay and through grey importers such as www.camerasdirect.com.au,

www.d-d-photographics.com.au and www.globalmediapro.com.

Mark Harrison from www.camerasdirect.com.au has been directly advised by Sigma Japan that C.R. Kennedy, the only authorised Sigma agent in Australia, will not cover warranty on Sigma products bought through www.camerasdirect.com.au

We will match, through our authorised Sigma dealer network, any legitimate advertised internet

price on Sigma lenses by these grey importers."

These prices do not include traditional pre-sales and after sales service normally given by your local retail store. We suggest that you research the product thoroughly before making any purchase.

http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=315

Oh! So If I read that correctly they're not covered by Sigma warranties unless you purchase from Digital Camera Warehouse only?

It clearly says 1yr warranty for Sigma @ DWI :confused:

That's a bummer, there's a $200 diff, between them and DWI on the 20mm, will they match that ?

You can also check out BH - $629+$48 shipping 4-6 days delivery. They also have 3 and 5 year coverage plans for extra $$ - go to the right hand side of that page to see details on the options. With 3 year plan + shipping = $748.25 US

FR510 - saves 10% on shipping costs at DWI (may be expired). To get one, wait a minute or three after you put something in your cart and check out (before entering payment or address details etc). with shipping (no discount) and 3 year plan $766 AUD

Aussie dollar is trading at 1.0178 in real terms today which makes the US version $735ish in Aussie dollars (plus whatever your credit card may slug you).

yes, I'm putting off work LOL

(and I just laughed at the other place coz they start at $761 AUD without shipping etc!)

Edited by kja

Aargh! You tease! I thought you were ready to buy ;)

lol, what one recommendation thru to purchase in a week isn't enough for you :laugh:

RnB - just wanted to clarify that if you buy overseas you can always post back if any problems, but I had to post a Tamrom back to B&H a few months back. They were great to deal with and no trouble getting an exchange after an AF failure, but the postage was $80! For the lens I just bought the saving advantage of buying from there would have been wiped out if I need to ship it back to NY :)

Aargh! You tease! I thought you were ready to buy ;)

lol, what one recommendation thru to purchase in a week isn't enough for you :laugh:

RnB - just wanted to clarify that if you buy overseas you can always post back if any problems, but I had to post a Tamrom back to B&H a few months back. They were great to deal with and no trouble getting an exchange after an AF failure, but the postage was $80! For the lens I just bought the saving advantage of buying from there would have been wiped out if I need to ship it back to NY :)

:laugh: Well It's killing me to have to wait, but I thought I'd better get a head start on what I actually want, seeing as I'm so indecisive!

Thanks for the clarification, I'm really leaning towards DWI, but If I have a problem do I need to ship o/seas with them as well? I thought they took care of their warranties here? And If Sigma doesn't honor their warranty unless bought from a specific place, then who Is that 1yr warranty with? Sorry for the trillion questions lol

Thanks for the clarification, I'm really leaning towards DWI, but If I have a problem do I need to ship o/seas with them as well? I thought they took care of their warranties here? And If Sigma doesn't honor their warranty unless bought from a specific place, then who Is that 1yr warranty with? Sorry for the trillion questions lol

I got my 7D from DWI, very quick service :D But personally I would contact CR Kennedy as they say on their website they will match the likes of DWI prices, I think they let a local retailer know what price you have been promised and you can pick it up locally - so you get a 2yr genuine Sigma warranty instead of a 1yr 3rd party warranty :) pm Bec as she got a lens this way through them recently and I'm sure she'll tell you exactly how it works ;)

The decision making is a nightmare, in 6 months I've got a new body and now 4 new lenses - I'm surprised I have any hair left :laugh:

The decision making is a nightmare, in 6 months I've got a new body and now 4 new lenses - I'm surprised I have any hair left :laugh:

This will be my first purchase In over a year, I think I'd be losing my hair too If I did that many! :laugh:

Ok well If that's the case I will certainly contact them, and see about a price matching deal Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

going by your reckoning girls I am well overdue for another purchase then, I haven't bought anything since my camera in march 2010. :D

well you are getting slack then - I have bought 2 lenses this year!