Poisoned Puppy

Hi all

i have a question

our beautiful mini black lab ate baited mice and was in puppy hospital for 3 days, getting plasma and vitamin k injection, she is now on Vitamin K tablets daily for the rest of the month,she has partial paralysis of her back legs and is walking wonkily without being able to get her feet to be where they should be, will this pass with time or is she going to be like this forever?

Edited by carneage

our lab is a golden lab crossed with either a kelpie or a blue cattle dog, but her mums mum was a black lab and dad we think was black and so she looks just like a lab, acts like a lab, and has all the lab traits except her size is 1/3 that of a lab, and her weight is 25kg

Sorry to hear that news :( Your vet would be the best one to get a prognosis from - he knows your dog, how much poison she ingested, and what damage it has done .

I hope she makes a good recovery , and is feeling a lot more comfortable now .

Sorry to hear about your pup getting sick, but glad she is on the mend. Can you make sure that she cannot get hold of any poison (or baited mice) in the future too?

Probably best to speak to the treating vet about her legs as well.

And there is no such breed as a mini lab, your dog is a crossbreed, so you could just say Lab x. :)

our lab is a golden lab crossed with either a kelpie or a blue cattle dog, but her mums mum was a black lab and dad we think was black and so she looks just like a lab, acts like a lab, and has all the lab traits except her size is 1/3 that of a lab, and her weight is 25kg

Huh?

If her size is one third of a Lab's and she weighs 25kg, she must be extremely fat. A full size Lab rarely weighs much more than 30-35kg.

I think the best person to ask about the long term prognosis for your dog is your vet. None of us know what poison she ate, how much she ate and how severe the poisoning was.

In the meantime, please refer to your dog as a Lab X. She's only 50% Labrador at best.

Um my purebred black lab is also 25kg.

She is far from small for a lab height wise- in fact she is at the top end of acceptable height.

Perhaps check your dogs weight with the vet, she could have trouble getting up and being wonky because of the extra weight.

Additionally if you can't see a waist and you can't feel her ribs with the flat part of your hand, she needs to lose weight.

Mouse/rat bait contains an anticoagulant type agent which causes bleeding.

With proper treatment, she should fully recover but should be kept quiet and rested unitl you finish the vit K course.

I would check with your vet RE the trouble getting up and wonkiness as it could have a number of causes which may or may not be related to the poisoning but could still be a serious problem.

I hope your puppy recovers carneage.

I don't think that carneage needs to be given grief about her terminology or dogs weight right now.

If not for her second post, I doubt anyone would have.

That was probably my fault :hitself: - the OP called the dog a mini black lab, and being new to the dog world I hadn't heard of it before, so I asked :noidea: