Do You Have A List Of What Breeds You Want To Own One Day?

Aztec Gold

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs are sometimes a journey, sometimes fate. As in, sometimes you head out on a path pre-determined, other times, dogs land in your lap. So it is hard to say what I will end up with next, should I ever discover that Oskar and Zsa Zsa will not live forever!!!!

I have had Kelpies, Border Collies, Heelers, a Lab X Corgi, Bull terrier, Cocker Spaniels a Vizsla and a German Short haired Pointer.

next on the wish list I think would be some more gun dogs. Maybe an English Pointer, maybe a Dalmation or perhaps even a Springer Spaniel or Brittany.

Most likely though, another V and another GSP!!! I am in love!!! (Ooohh pew...apart from their fantastic bum action....especially the two together, as if one is not letting off, the other is!! Thank god for windows and Air Freshener!!! :)

I am soooooo happy to see Kelpies making the list :) There are so many misconceptions about them and I get "you're crazy" looks every time I say we own Kelpie-ish dogs. A well-chosen, well-bred Kelpie is such a great addition to the family - they're so smart, affectionate and cuddly and not very much work at all!

I think I have grown too attached to Kelpies now so could not own another breed BUT, if for some weird reason a working line Kelpie was not possible, the breeds I have on my list are:

• Shiba Inu
  • Beagle - love the tri-coloured ones. Not a huge fan of the ones with a lot of white on the face (shallow of me I know :p )
  • I love how big and atheltic the standard poodles look and how smart they are. There's a DOLer with a gorgeous brown standard poodle who doesn't have an overly sharp nose and is apparently frequently mistaken for a labradoodle. I love the look of that dog and if I wasn't so Kelpie-inclined and so averse to grooming, then that dog would tempt me :D

Edited by koalathebear

I'm allergic to dogs, so will most likely only ever be able to own poodles, or variations thereof. I can't foresee anything but rescue poodles/crosses in my future, so I try not to think about what I'm missing out on, not being able to choose from any breed in the world :o

... though obviously, there's a huge list of breeds I'd love to own!

Greyhound (had a taste through fostering :love:)

Koolie

Kelpie

Dobe

Instead, I have my perfect little toy poodle. Difference, much? :laugh:

Breeds I've had in the past: Border collies

Pyrenean Mountain Dog

Irish Red & White setters

Alaskan Malamute

Aust Silky Terrier

Labrador

Siberian Husky

German Shepherd cross

Breeds I've currently got:

Pyrenean Mountain Dog

Leonberger

Greyhound

Breeds I want in the future:

More Leos and Pyrs (my next dog will be a show Pyr, then I plan to keep a Leo bitch from my current girl)

Another rescue greyhound - what absolute sweethearts they are!

Pyrenean Mastiff

Like others I had a much longer wish list but I've ditched a lot of breeds because they are too small for me or too short-lived.

My list is constantly growing :rolleyes: :laugh:

-Border Collies (already own one, but one is not enough ;))

-Pyre Shepherd

-English Springer Spaniel (Field/working lines)

-Malinois

-Papillon

-Mudi (don't think we have any in Oz though...)

That's my short list :)

I need to decide between a Borzoi and a divorce..

Borzoi is at the top of my list to own...

:rofl: :rofl: Borzoi are easier to live with than human partners!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Mine are:

Azawahk

Afghan Hound (would have to be the "just right" one)

Chortaj (Hortaya Borzaya) - not in Australia... yet... :D

Having been researching the breed for a while but having put it off because I do breed specific rescue for shar pei , just last month I decided that if I wanted to own an English Mastiff I'd better do it soon or I'll be too old to train it. I've now contacted a breeder and if all the stars align I may have a puppy early next year.

The down side is if I am lucky enough to get one then the number of dogs I take into rescue will have to significantly reduce.

There are other breeds I would like to own for various reasons but never will as they don't fit my lifestyle or circumstances.

sad to see no one mentions ACD!! I got my first a couple of years ago and he is just the best dog I have ever had, and my first to have competed in obedience and agility with! We love them so much now that we have recently acquired a pup, who is everything like my boy. We did consider a flatcoat retreiver, as they are ust lovely, but in the end my love for ACDs won!