Question For If One Day I Decide To Rescue A Dog

Isabel964

Hey everyone. about 5 years ago after losing one our much loved dogs to cancer, after some time we decided we needed another companion for our remaining dog. Hubby and I both took time off work, took our kelpie to the Animal protection Society in Keysborough, waiting patiently, got shown through to see the large number of dogs.

Sadly the lady with us was cold and hostile and every dog we seemed interested in she had a reason we were not suitable enough for the dog - that dog needs someone home all day, that dog must be in a one dog home, that dog won't like your cats, that dog is not suitable, neither is that dog - etc etc and no dog it seemed, out of the 60 there was suited to our home that was airconditioned, centrally heated, where dogs slept with us, got taken to the dog beach, were fed the best food there is and so on. It was just an awful experience and our first attempt at giving a dog a home that needed it.

I think of all those dogs all the time, even though that was 5 years ago. I think of the dogs there now on this freezing cold night.... its awful.

Anyway, when I am in a position of giving a needy dog a home, and being a companion to one my existing girls, where do I go, how best do I go about it?

This dog would be mainly an inside dog. It would be one of two dogs, and it would live in a 3 cat household. It couldn't be a barking issue dog because our neighbours would not tolerate that. It would need to be a well adjusted dog with basic obedience (happy to do more training with the dog and get trainers in for it, but it must have a basic need to please because unfortunately we don't have time to put into a dog with major issues).

I am in Melbourne. How best would I go about this?

NB Just to reiterate, my girls are both very healthy and happy and I am not looking now, I am just wondering how to give a needy dog a home if one day we can, since last time we tried it, it did not go too well.

Hey everyone. about 5 years ago after losing one our much loved dogs to cancer, after some time we decided we needed another companion for our remaining dog. Hubby and I both took time off work, took our kelpie to the Animal protection Society in Keysborough, waiting patiently, got shown through to see the large number of dogs.

Sadly the lady with us was cold and hostile and every dog we seemed interested in she had a reason we were not suitable enough for the dog - that dog needs someone home all day, that dog must be in a one dog home, that dog won't like your cats, that dog is not suitable, neither is that dog - etc etc and no dog it seemed, out of the 60 there was suited to our home that was airconditioned, centrally heated, where dogs slept with us, got taken to the dog beach, were fed the best food there is and so on. It was just an awful experience and our first attempt at giving a dog a home that needed it.

I think of all those dogs all the time, even though that was 5 years ago. I think of the dogs there now on this freezing cold night.... its awful.

Anyway, when I am in a position of giving a needy dog a home, and being a companion to one my existing girls, where do I go, how best do I go about it?

This dog would be mainly an inside dog. It would be one of two dogs, and it would live in a 3 cat household. It couldn't be a barking issue dog because our neighbours would not tolerate that. It would need to be a well adjusted dog with basic obedience (happy to do more training with the dog and get trainers in for it, but it must have a basic need to please because unfortunately we don't have time to put into a dog with major issues).

NB Just to reiterate, my girls are both very healthy and happy and I am not looking now, I am just wondering how to give a needy dog a home if one day we can, since last time we tried it, it did not go too well.

give us a call, we can help you. 0402 587 875 Scallywags website We are a Community Foster Care network based in 4 regions. North Eastern, Western, Mornington Peninsula and Eastern.

Edited by Chewbacca

Perhaps try a rescue organisation that uses foster carers rather than a shelter. That way, you can get a dog that has lived in a home with cats and can talk to the carer about what sort of dog you are after.

Please don't judge all rescues on this one experience. Just like anything, there are good and bad involved.

Definitely not all rescues are like this. We currently have two rescue dogs a tiny boy that came from our vet and a grey. Both dogs are really good with our cats and are also good with other dogs and love people. Both of these dogs have joined us in the last 8 mths. From your description I would think a rescue grey might be the perfect dog for you. Our grey came from Greyhound rescue and they were so very helpful and really wanted to make sure we (and our other animals) were a good match. Also if you have a preference for a particular breed don't forget the breed rescues - they can also be wonderful at helping you find a new family member.

When the time is right, and I hope that is no time soon, I hope you have a much better experience than when you last tried to rescue.

I am sure that there are some Rescue organisations who patronise these hallowed pages. But, I can only speak of who I have had experience with recently. I noticed you are in Melbourne, so they might be an option. Blue Cross at Wonga Park. I had a wonderful experience with adopting Zsa Zsa a 12 month old German Shorthaired Pointer with Blue Cross. The staff were all fantastic, the dogs all appeared happy and healthy and most of all, they afforded every opportunity for me to interact with Zsa Zsa prior to making a decision and also allowed me to bring Ozkar, my other dog, up to spend time with her playing together to make sure they got along. We would have spent 4 or 5 hours prior to making the decision and then another 7-9 hours from then until we picked her up.

I recommend the advise above...I remember when I was looking for a dog. I attended the aaps with references in hand...certificates in hand from dog training courses, dog obedience title paperwork (for my last dog owned), a letter of ref from my boss (a vet I was working as a vet nurse then) and I came across a person who "couldnt find me a suitable dog" either. Granted I was renting at the time, but it wasnt that big an issue surely.

I cant judge if the person you have seen decisions were based on fact or their attitude, but I think you will do well from a well run rescue organization.

Edited: remove sig

Edited by redangel

Any of the above suggestions sound great! Noticed you had a kelpie at one stage, if you are still interested in working breeds, Australian Working Dog Rescue would be a good place to have a look as well. You can google their website and they have a FB page.

My little kelpie is through AWDRI, she was from Wagga pound and is just the most gorgeous little monster :)

I second all the advice above. Go with a rescue organisation or a shelter that has been recommended.

I have spoken to Blue Cross on the phone about a few of their dogs and they seemed very knowledgeable and helpful, and most importantly they seemed to know their dogs very well and were very honest. Thanks to that, I was spared a 3 hour drive just to find out the dog wasn't suitable anyway. When I called AAPS on the other hand, they couldn't answer any of my questions about the dog (just kept repeating what it said in the ad, well I've read that myself, that's why I'm calling you). I found the lady on the phone rather rude and she just told me to come down and meet the dog instead of answering my questions. After reading this thread I'm glad I didn't waste my time, as I would have probably been deemed unsuitable as well.

Another shelter I've had a good experience with was Animal Aid in Coldstream. We went there to see a specific dog, we met her, they gave us lots of information on her, answered all our questions and we then introduced her to our dog. Unfortunately they weren't a good match, but the staff were great and offered their help in finding a more suitable one.

If i was looking for another rescue dog I would look for a reputable rescue organisation (can highly recommend AWDRI, ACDR, Coolibah Coolies but there are many other reputable rescues out there :) ) and for a dog that has been in a foster home for over two weeks. That way you can know the temperament of the dog from the foster home, they should allow your own dog/s to meet the dog and will give you a no obligation trial period as well to see how things go at home.

Or you could offer to foster and then find yourself with a foster failure like my Flashes. I didn't plan on keeping him, he just fitted in so well with my other dogs and I just loved him

Sadly,i too had the same experience with the Keysborough shelter on two occasions.I can also highly recommend ,,, Blue cross .. in Wonga park.Very nice ppl there.My friend got her dogs from them.Animal aid in Coldstream are good too.Look on Pet Rescue,or ask the rescue groups on here to help you.

Edited by budgiew

I think ......... That the Keysborough shelter take some dogs from other pounds that were at the end of their time.Some of these dogs need extra training and rehab in very experienced homes and are not suited to homes with kids or novice owners.I'm sure the rescue ppl can correct me if that's wrong,

Hi I would go for a rescue dog that is from a rescue organisation that fosters animals in the homes. I got my lab 8 months ago from Labrador Rescue. She was fostered in a home that had 2 dogs and a cat. They usually takes Labs but they have taken labs x I believe. Most people think that my lab is a x with a kelpie but really you can only see lab in her except that she is about the size of a kelpie. I highly recommend them. These dogs live in the foster carers homes and become part of their daily routine until they find there forever home. I was able to have my dog on a trial basis for 2 weeks to see how she went at my place ( I also have a cat so needed a dog that could live with her).

I know someone on this forum who lives in WA but got their labrador from Labrador rescue so even though most of the dogs are fostered in Canberra it is possible to still get a dog from them but it's best to talk to them about things like that. I"m still in contact with them now 8 months later to let them know how Sasha is going. They are fantastic people really care about these dogs.

http://www.rescuealabrador.com/dogs_available_to_adopt.html

See link for there website if you are interested.

Don't rule out all rescue organisations, this is the first contact I have had with one and they have been fantastic.

Sadly,i too had the same experience with the Keysborough shelter on two occasions.I can also highly recommend Blue hills in Wonga park.Very nice ppl there.My friend got her dogs from them.Animal aid in Coldstream are good too.Look on Pet Rescue,or ask the rescue groups on here to help you.

Just wanted to clarify that the group in Wonga Park is called Blue CROSS. :) And yes they are lovely there. :)

My rescue dog came from the people who bred her. They are also a registered breed rescue organisation. The dog was returned twice to them, as per their conditions of sale......the first owners neglected her and couldn't live with the resulting behaviour. The second owners moved overseas and didn't take her.

She came to me because I already owned the same breed and I had access to local breeders and owners of the breed in case I should need any advice or help. There was no discussion about whether someone would be home, where she would sleep, what she would eat etc.

It was simply an understanding that she would be given a good home with owners who were familiar with the needs of that type of dog.

This would be my preferred method of adopting a rescue dog in the future. Plenty of breeders of pedigree dogs have dogs returned to them for various reasons. They often make excellent rehoming prospects.

An added benefit for me is that my rescue dog has a pedigree, she has been transferred into my name with Dogs Victoria and is currently competing in ANKC sanctioned events as a pedigree dog. And for the first time in her life, her pedigree name is appearing in catalogues. And I LOVE seeing it there!

My rescue dog came from the people who bred her. They are also a registered breed rescue organisation. The dog was returned twice to them, as per their conditions of sale......the first owners neglected her and couldn't live with the resulting behaviour. The second owners moved overseas and didn't take her.

That's a good reminder that breeders who willingly take back their dogs (or another of their breed) are helping to prevent dumping. And keeping some dogs from adding to the already greatly stretched rescues & shelters.

I can't speak for the OP's experience with Keysborough. I wasn't there.

But I'd rather a staff member spoke directly to the needs of the dogs for adoption (as this person seems to have done, from the telling), than gloss over an individual dog's needs & just hope it all works itself out by osmosis.

When I've adopted adult dogs from breeders, I've wanted a frank disclosure about individual rehoming needs for a particular dog. And have been grateful for any discussion about whether a dog might be suitable (or not) for the lifestyle we offer.

http://www.petrescue.com.au/search/?a=d&g=f&s=m&l=vic&a_id=

I'd start there - unless I had a particular breed in mind - and then I might try the breed rescue...

I got my dog from AWL. I went out to the RSPCA a few times and they weren't very friendly or helpful, but the people on at the AWL were. Just being there is a bit traumatic if you're not used to it. I've heard stories the other way about too - so I think it depends on which people are on and whether they're having a good day or not. I've also heard at the RSPCA that they're not allowed to express any personal opinion about what dog they like best which is sad. The dog I chose from AWL had a sister there who was very pretty but wasn't as friendly and a chat with the staff - confirmed that the puppy I liked was always friendly - and very loud at dinner time - nothing's changed.

Hi

I have had the same problem with cats and dogs It really depends on the staff of the day I was so upst that I was not allowed to take a animal as if I wasnt good enough I did how ever kept going to different places and finally found a beautiful in the great cat enclosure at Keysborough Some people just arent nice you sound wonderfully caring person just dont give up

Jenny

I can't speak for the OP's experience with Keysborough. I wasn't there.

But I'd rather a staff member spoke directly to the needs of the dogs for adoption (as this person seems to have done, from the telling), than gloss over an individual dog's needs & just hope it all works itself out by osmosis.

When I've adopted adult dogs from breeders, I've wanted a frank disclosure about individual rehoming needs for a particular dog. And have been grateful for any discussion about whether a dog might be suitable (or not) for the lifestyle we offer.

Whilst I absolutely agree with this statement, I fail to see how out of around 60 dogs (as the OP said there was) not even one was suitable?

Especially if the OP is as responsible and caring as they appear on DOL.